• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My understanding is color 8 cxl is just that, same dyes used for cordovan?
Whether it's the same dye or not my color 8 CXL loafers are nowhere close to the color 8 shell boots I used to have. The color and material are very very different.

That said they're both beautiful in their own way.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
Whether it's the same dye or not my color 8 CXL loafers are nowhere close to the color 8 shell boots I used to have. The color and material are very very different.

That said they're both beautiful in their own way.

It's easy to imagine it would look uniquely different on shell vs. a pull-up leather like CXL. Parkhurst has done a color 8 Dublin that is pretty awesome. Maybe the GS powers hear us....;)

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice day out over in Boston. Waiting around outside while my SO gets her haircut.

8D38E47C-1118-47BC-A480-94C93A8E912D.jpeg

Cordovanity

Reaction score
Got my crimson cap toe boots in. Went size 10 vs Viberg 9.5 on 2030 and it was the right sizing choice. This may be a stupidly obvious thing to say but the Vibergs are clearly a step up to me in terms of leather quality, comfort, etc.

very pleased I have both now and hoping the GS will feel a bit more comfortable like my vibergs do after a couple more wears.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
Got my crimson cap toe boots in. Went size 10 vs Viberg 9.5 on 2030 and it was the right sizing choice. This may be a stupidly obvious thing to say but the Vibergs are clearly a step up to me in terms of leather quality, comfort, etc.

very pleased I have both now and hoping the GS will feel a bit more comfortable like my vibergs do after a couple more wears.

Congrats, looking forward to some pics. I have several pairs of Vibergs and one pair of GS. With what Viberg cost, it had better be a step up! That said, I think GS are terrific boots for the price.

Regarding the comfort factor - if you are used to the 2030, did you go to an E width in the GS? The 2030 is much wider than a standard D width Leo last. I can't even get my foot into the D. I also size up in Grant Stone from my size 7.5 in 2030 to an 8EEE or 8.5E in the Leo.

Cordovanity

Reaction score
Congrats, looking forward to some pics. I have several pairs of Vibergs and one pair of GS. With what Viberg cost, it had better be a step up! That said, I think GS are terrific boots for the price.

Regarding the comfort factor - if you are used to the 2030, did you go to an E width in the GS? The 2030 is much wider than a standard D width Leo last. I can't even get my foot into the D. I also size up in Grant Stone from my size 7.5 in 2030 to an 8EEE or 8.5E in the Leo.
honestly this is probably a stupid way of doing it but I have never really messed with anything in E width. in the brannock my sizing is firmly normal D width, and the only time I ever experience discomfort is in my right foot if the shoe has a small toebox. If I size up or down appropriately I am usually okay and just try to find lasts that are not too tight in the ball of the foot (which I guess is not what the 2030 is but anyways). Haven't really found the best science to any of this stuff and since the brannock says I'm a D width I just have been experimenting till I find a company that I really like.

These Grant Stones definitely aren't the most comfortable to me out of the box but given my foot isn't that wide I would just be surprsied if I was an E width in a size 10 shoe since my brannock is 10D left foot and barely 10.5D right. Maybe I could size down and go wider from there? not sure.

Cordovanity

Reaction score
anything like the carmina forest last I will probably just stay away from with my wide forefoot problems on the right foot.

dsk321

Reaction score

I wear 10.5 d leo. Just got a 10 berg 2030 and put in some foam insoles, works out decently. I ordered some kilties which will fill out the space well. I could probably put thin insoles in the leo and be a bit more snug as well.

Ootb comfort was great in gs imo. Viberg a bit stiffer even on a Christy sole, but nice and sturdy. I'd say my nicks is close to the viberg in overall quality construction, a few more loose stitches but similar sturdiness. Gs still punches so far above its weight its nuts

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't have any Vibergs, so can't comment on them, but the GS Leo have NEVER been uncomfortable or difficult to wear right out of the box. Can put on a new, out of box, pair and wear them all day without issue. If one has a problem with footwear being uncomfortable, hard to wear, break-in issues, I would argue they have the wrong size to begin with. Footwear, in the right size, should not be an issue even when out of the box. SOME boots do require break-in but that is usually the uppers and shaft, GS boots should not, if the size is correct, require a break in period.

BrandonF

Reaction score
honestly this is probably a stupid way of doing it but I have never really messed with anything in E width. in the brannock my sizing is firmly normal D width, and the only time I ever experience discomfort is in my right foot if the shoe has a small toebox. If I size up or down appropriately I am usually okay and just try to find lasts that are not too tight in the ball of the foot (which I guess is not what the 2030 is but anyways). Haven't really found the best science to any of this stuff and since the brannock says I'm a D width I just have been experimenting till I find a company that I really like.

These Grant Stones definitely aren't the most comfortable to me out of the box but given my foot isn't that wide I would just be surprsied if I was an E width in a size 10 shoe since my brannock is 10D left foot and barely 10.5D right. Maybe I could size down and go wider from there? not sure.

I’m with @audog here: if the boots fit right, they should be comfortable right away. I worked my way through a few sizes and when I finally got the right size it was like a eureka moment.

Perhaps you can elaborate on what is uncomfortable about them?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m with @audog here: if the boots fit right, they should be comfortable right away. I worked my way through a few sizes and when I finally got the right size it was like a eureka moment.

Perhaps you can elaborate on what is uncomfortable about them?
Thanks. I read on a number of threads how people have "break in" issues with boots, IF SIZED properly, the only break in issues should be with stiff uppers or shafts, due to the leather used in making the boots. A properly sized boot/shoe should fit right out of the box, be as comfortable on day XXX as on day 1. One should be able to wear a brand new, right out of the box properly sized boot or shoe for hours/all day without an issue. If there is a problem with pain/fit/discomfort it's not a break-in issue, it's a wrong size issue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads