• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BrandonF

Reaction score
Hopefully they release more in EEE sooner or later.

Do you have a crimson Ottawa? Seems like that is available in EEE.

I think I am more than likely going to go for the crimson. gf and friends seem to be unanimously favoring it while I personally couldn't decide.

I have the Crimson Diesel, so maybe a bit redundant. Maybe eventually. Trying right now to not double up on colors too much.

I have a pair of the grey kudu Ottawas coming later this month. Will be my first Ottawas.

Drzdave58

Reaction score
I'm really enjoying these forest Kudus. Still breaking them in.
20200919_190717.jpg

randomthing234

Reaction score
I got them on Amazon Canada and they were big both times and had obvious leather impurities and stitching issues that even Thursday CS were shocked at. Glad I returned them and went John Doe to start with the whole GYW thing, must more comfortable and nicer leather. Looking forward to the next step up with GS
Nah John Doe isn't that great. I mean at their price it might be ok but not good. Just got a 3x2 deal and the finishing on the boots is very crude. Leather has scratches and cuts in it.

BrandonF

Reaction score
Nah John Doe isn't that great. I mean at their price it might be ok but not good. Just got a 3x2 deal and the finishing on the boots is very crude. Leather has scratches and cuts in it.

The moral of the story is they’ll likely be blown away by Grant Stone’s quality.

ifticar2

Reaction score
John Doe isn't great, but its not terrible either. I have a pair of Tan Chromepak chelseas that I like a lot. If I expected perfection, I would have been dissapointed, but from seeing reviews and looking at the instagram, I knew not to expect perfection. They are decent boots for the price, especially because you can easily do MTO. However, for the same price, you can get an indonesian MTO out of Indonesian leather (most of the indo makers also carry european/american leathers, but they are more expensive).

If you are just looking for something RTW, John Does are decent, but my Grant Stones blow them out of the water.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did a review on reddit of my 5 pairs of them and each one had their flaws, but they were very minor. Each of them have molded to my foot pretty well and have gone through a fair share of wear. I recommend them to anyone not sure if they'll like GYW, but want to try it out. They are better than Thursday Boots and around the same price. Its the same thing for everything, you aren't going to go throw $500 at a nice overcoat when you aren't sure you'll like or wear it. Not only would that be a waste of money that could've been used towards something you ACTUALLY like, but also bad for the environment.
Are they the best quality like they state? Not necessarily, there are definitely better out there. However, with the price they are great sh*t kickers that if they get stained or something I won't be too worried about. Great leathers, okay craftsmanship and okay QC. Overall everybody expects and likes different things, can't please everyone. Although, I wish they would crack down on QC a bit more due to them owning their own factory.

Have you tried emailing to solve the problems as the owner is very helpful. I've had him offer to re-do shoes, offer a small discount, and even when I purchased sample shoes, they couldn't find them and offered to make me a brand new pair for no extra cost.

I have my pair of Grant Stone's otw now, and I am sure they will be great, but I will always appreciate John Doe Shoes and how they got me to appreciate GYW, and how better footwear really does make a difference. Anyways, let's keep this forum to the main topic of Grant Stone

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
How does the GS Crimson CXL compare to Color 8? I like the Diesel boots in this color. The Ottowas are too redundant with my Alden Indys in brown CXL, which looks close. Curious what the new crimson release will be that is announced on Facebook.

Last edited:

Turns31

Reaction score
How does the GS Crimson CXL compare to Color 8? I like the Diesel boots in this color. The Ottowas are too redundant with my Alden Indys in brown CXL, which looks close. Curious what the new crimson release will be that is announced on Facebook.
Not even close. I know it's Havana brown but Crimson is just brown CXL to my untrained eyes. Lots of purple in 8 CXL.

Attachments

• IMG_20200506_094122_370.jpg
    IMG_20200506_094122_370.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 94
  • PXL_20200918_162327070.jpg
    PXL_20200918_162327070.jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 103

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Crimson is a reddish brown to my eye. Color 8 has an eggplant tone to it, kind of reddish-purple,black almost under certain light. But Crimson is CXL and color 8 usually Shell, so that also has to be figured into the equation. Shell is different than CXL.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
Crimson is a reddish brown to my eye. Color 8 has an eggplant tone to it, kind of reddish-purple,black almost under certain light. But Crimson is CXL and color 8 usually Shell, so that also has to be figured into the equation. Shell is different than CXL.

Ya this is sort of what I figured but having not seen the Crimson in person, nice to hear from those who have. And no wonder it looks just like my brown CXL Indys, which have that reddish tint. Viberg always has a non-shell color 8 CXL service boot available, which I love.

dsk321

Reaction score
If they release a color 8-ish tone that's an instant buy.
Color 8 is definitely a cxl option but seems to be rarer than a few years ago?

BrandonF

Reaction score
It doesn’t need to be Color 8; I’d be happy with just some sort of oxblood color. AE’s burgundy/oxblood calf is a nice color. I think my Crimson’s look reddish next to tan or other brown, but then put them next to a true oxblood or burgundy and they look plain brown.

They definitely do have a reddish undertone for sure, and seem to get more red as they age. But it’s more of a subtle thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads