• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you will love them. I love mine, after all they’re my profile image.
I think I will as well, first purchase that is above ~$200 USD range for GYW shoes. I'll get them in a few weeks, opted to try the USPS route to Canada over UPS lol

BrandonF

Reaction score
I think I will as well, first purchase that is above ~$200 USD range for GYW shoes. I'll get them in a few weeks, opted to try the USPS route to Canada over UPS lol

What brands have you tried below $200 USD?

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What brands have you tried below $200 USD?
Thursday Boots, but returned as finishing and sizing was weird. Mainly have been with John Doe and a pair of Canada West Romeo's. Tried Meermin, loafer didn't fit my foot so trying to sell rn to fund another purchase; though will probably take a big loss on it

BrandonF

Reaction score
Thursday Boots, but returned as finishing and sizing was weird. Mainly have been with John Doe and a pair of Canada West Romeo's. Tried Meermin, loafer didn't fit my foot so trying to sell rn to fund another purchase; though will probably take a big loss on it

Thursday was my first pair of GYW boots. The difference between them is vast. Even though you’re paying twice the price, you’re getting 3-4x the quality in my opinion.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried Thursday more recently and immediately sent them back. That isn't to say that Thursday boots are terrible, but the fit was terrible. It seemed like they were made to only be worn with very thin socks rather than boot socks. Considering my lower instep and low volume it was a bit strange to have boots feel so tight with my normal socks.

The Thursday boots also just smelled like chemicals and not that new leather smell you get when you purchase any quality leather footwear, but I can't say whether that would have changed in time. The qc on this particular pair seemed pretty solid.

I think people should buy what they like and Grant Stone's style may not be for everyone, but if anyone asked me where to purchase new boots for about $200 or less I'd definitely recommend Grant Stone b-stock/final sale.

Drzdave58

Reaction score
Thursday was my first pair of GYW boots. The difference between them is vast. Even though you’re paying twice the price, you’re getting 3-4x the quality in my opinion.
ive got a pair of Thursday’s Presidents in natural..they are comfortable enough And decent boots but the GS are much sturdier and better made IMO...I really like the Leo last too..fits my feet perfect.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got them on Amazon Canada and they were big both times and had obvious leather impurities and stitching issues that even Thursday CS were shocked at. Glad I returned them and went John Doe to start with the whole GYW thing, must more comfortable and nicer leather. Looking forward to the next step up with GS

Cordovanity

Reaction score
You're paying for the 2030 last and unique leathers when you buy Viberg. GS has better overall QC (perfect stitching, straight cap toes, edge finishing, etc...) but I do give Viberg a slight advantage on clicking in my experience. The main difference is the aesthetics. Vibergs 2030 is sleek and sexy and stitchdown while Grant Stone is beefy and storm welted while still being slim. Both are going to last you a decade plus if you take care of them.

Here's a quick pic I took this morning showing a difference in shape.
appreciate it. I just purchased the Viberg brown service boots and they got here today love them but I honestly can't find many distinguishable differences and people talk up the quality of GS so much that I figured if there is any way to justify given the price difference. I do like the GYW more than the storm welt for sure but figured it isn't that noticeable. Maybe I just keep these and get the GS crimson cap toe boots also ;)

Turns31

Reaction score
appreciate it. I just purchased the Viberg brown service boots and they got here today love them but I honestly can't find many distinguishable differences and people talk up the quality of GS so much that I figured if there is any way to justify given the price difference. I do like the GYW more than the storm welt for sure but figured it isn't that noticeable. Maybe I just keep these and get the GS crimson cap toe boots also ;)
It's an addiction for sure.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swapped to the Grant Stone stock laces on the forest kudu. They seem to complement the leather better than the darker brown Alden laces I had been using.

06175AD1-BC1E-4915-8229-C777426C59A5.jpeg 20B053F2-DBCE-42B8-A4BC-BBD83F437BCC.jpeg 04F5AC56-8348-4061-B811-4D6FA41CCD51.jpeg

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would buy those in a heartbeat if they were EEE. But doesn’t sound likely.
Hopefully they release more in EEE sooner or later.

Do you have a crimson Ottawa? Seems like that is available in EEE.

I think I am more than likely going to go for the crimson. gf and friends seem to be unanimously favoring it while I personally couldn't decide.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads