• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If my wife pays more than $30 for shoes she thinks she overpaid.
My wife once paid $90 for a pair of shoes, and she thought that was an insane price to pay for footwear! Funny however, she still has them, they still look good and many, many pair of 30 dollar pair have come and gone through her closet. I NEVER tell her what I pay for footwear :)

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife once paid $90 for a pair of shoes, and she thought that was an insane price to pay for footwear! Funny however, she still has them, they still look good and many, many pair of 30 dollar pair have come and gone through her closet. I NEVER tell her what I pay for footwear :)
Smart, I skirt that subject all of the time as well.

Turns31

Reaction score
My wife would for sure murder me if she knew what I spend on boots and shoes.

My brother in law complimented my new Vibergs the other day and asked where I got them. I told him they're made in Canada and only available through a few different stockists online and are pretty expensive. His response was, "Like are they better and more expensive than my Cole Haans? I have a couple pairs of those and they're really nice."

Guy is an anesthesiologist and makes 2.5xs what I do in a year and $100 Cole Haans from Nordstrom Rack are the nicest shoes in the world to him.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My brother in law complimented my new Vibergs the other day and asked where I got them. I told him they're made in Canada and only available through a few different stockists online and are pretty expensive. His response was, "Like are they better and more expensive than my Cole Haans? I have a couple pairs of those and they're really nice."

Guy is an anesthesiologist and makes 2.5xs what I do in a year and $100 Cole Haans from Nordstrom Rack are the nicest shoes in the world to him.
I used to think things like that were odd, but have realized that many more people feel $100 footwear are the "nicest" footwear in the world, and that's ok.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t mind British Tan with black though it definitely does better with other pants.

A3240B79-0507-433F-AD80-9257E6AEBAE6.jpeg 00949780-A734-416C-9C61-0F6C96554F46.jpeg

BrandonF

Reaction score
I used to think things like that were odd, but have realized that many more people feel $100 footwear are the "nicest" footwear in the world, and that's ok.

I used to be of the opinion that expensive shoes you were just paying for the name. Had no clue the vast difference in quality. Of course, some brands you do pay a lot just for the name.

I think part of the problem (at least for dress shoes) is that you really have to go over $200 to see a marked increase in quality. There’s a lot of brands in that $100-$200 range that are just really bad values. And if that’s your first foray into “nice” shoes, it may not seem worth it.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend actually supports my interest in nice shoes. She doesn't (yet) own any particularly expensive pairs though she plans on getting some Rancourt. Unfortunately her feet are a little too small for the sizes Grant Stone offers, but if they ever offer smaller sizes or a women's line I am sure she would be on board.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ifticar2 Incredible patina on those, definitely tempts me to reconsider my stance on loafers.

I don't make a whole lot of money as a teacher, yet I have spent thousands on shoes. No one else I know even comes close. Does that make me foolish? Perhaps. Nice shoes/clothes certainly don't make me better in any way, I simply enjoy fine quality and craftmanship, and presenting the best version of myself. However, I have learned to respect and appreciate others' attempts at dressing well, as ill-guided as they may often be - I certainly have a lot to work on myself and can learn something from everyone. When Cole Haan and Johnston-Murphy are the pinnacle, I can't help but sigh, but it's not really a big deal. I'm not going to beat them over the head with my obsession. Most would have sticker-shock anyway. Now, if someone inquires in a serious way then I'll direct them to value-conscious options like AE factory 2nds or GS clearance. Generally, I try to keep my recommendations under $200 at first.

A couple of friends do own one or two pairs of Allen Edmonds (one was a gift from me) but they are the only ones I know of that have decent GYW shoes besides my Dad, who has a pair of Florsheim Imperials and Allen Edmonds I gifted him. I tried to get him to buy Grant Stone longwings but they was "out of his price range" (even though he makes SEVERAL times what I do).

Now my wife, she thinks I'm a nut, but still loves me. I do encourage her to avoid cheap footwear and in recent years she has acquired a flotilla of Birkstocks, Chaco's, and similar - all of which work fine for our lifestyle. These are huge upgrades from the $10 Target shoes she usually wore. And when the $30 boots she liked kept blowing out, I used it as a teaching opportunity... Now, she never wears heels or formal shoes: doesn't need to. And the Red Wings I bought her the first year we were married have been worn, twice maybe?

Seems like everyone has their "thing" that they enjoy and spend a little too much money on. Mine is not guns, or cars, or golf or jewelry. I guess I'm doing OK! :D

BrandonF

Reaction score
Seems like everyone has their "thing" that they enjoy and spend a little too much money on. Mine is not guns, or cars, or golf or jewelry. I guess I'm doing OK! :D

Exactly this. Everyone has different things they're willing to spend money on. My dad for instance can't understand paying more than $75 for shoes, but has no problem owning expensive cars or (ironically) collecting leather jackets (which is SO different from shoes... I digress).

Drzdave58

Reaction score
Exactly this. Everyone has different things they're willing to spend money on. My dad for instance can't understand paying more than $75 for shoes, but has no problem owning expensive cars or (ironically) collecting leather jackets (which is SO different from shoes... I digress).
My two weaknesses are boots and bicycles. I have spent lots of $$$ on both. Makes me happy I guess..?

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all relative... I'm probably at the top of my pay grade, and that's OK. I may not ever make it into G&G, Edward Green, or Crockett & Jones territory. Lol! After speaking with a gentleman that makes bespoke shoes, $1000 doesn't even get you a fitting. Lbvs!

ifticar2

Reaction score
It's all relative... I'm probably at the top of my pay grade, and that's OK. I may not ever make it into G&G, Edward Green, or Crockett & Jones territory. Lol! After speaking with a gentleman that makes bespoke shoes, $1000 doesn't even get you a fitting. Lbvs!

Maybe back in the day, but nowadays there are lots of Asian boot and shoe makers that can get you some really quality stuff at great prices

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

During the first weeks of lockdown shined / brushed all my shoes, I believe that my wife little by little has started to understand that my shoes are an utilitarian hobby and that this craft demands lots of respect.

In the other hand I started giving her some GYW shoes (Barker, Cheaney, Meermin) as presents and she always get compliments from her firends, Maybe I have awaken a beast, I hope not, but certainly I love her smile when she opens the boxes and tries them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads