• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darkishhaddock

Reaction score
Late 30s here in the Midwest and I wear my GS loafers proudly in a sea of suburban dads sporting adidas slides, new balances and air monarchs. I try to maintain some semblance of professional attire even while working from home and refuse to downgrade to t-shirt, shorts like my peers on zoom meetings. GS loafers serve me well as house slippers. If you want something younger leaning and non preppy, try the Viberg slippers. I have the cheaper Patnoflex which are nice for the price and are equally versatile.
B25CFBA3-E48B-431B-806C-E24D421D6BCA.jpeg

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like the Traveler would look like clown shoes on me with shorts due to my low volume, skinny ankles, etc. This is not a knock at Grant Stone, of course. I see plenty pictures of other people wearing them with shorts, and they look great.

Very excited to try out the loden suede Traveler when it arrives in 3 months. I have a feeling they will be reserved for pants only, but maybe I will change my opinion.
I kinda had that same issue with chukkas - I hated how they looked when I looked down, but loved what I saw in pix. I got over it and now chukkas are a fav

Darkishhaddock

Reaction score
I can't bring myself to put any money in Bret Viberg's pocket. Even if I could, I can't justify their $$$.
Exactly why I am wearing the patnoflex proudly as a cheap bastard. Even with my mental gymnastics that justifies most footwear purchases, I can’t bring myself to drop that type of cash on a pair of slippers. More power to the average joes like me out there who can wear those slippers without thinking about the price tag every time they slip it on.

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in my mid fifties, but when I go sockless in loafers my wife is always telling me it makes me look younger and more with it.

I also have to say I've never had a pair of loafers that are anywhere as comfortable sockless as the GS travelers. Not even close.

+1 @Erikdayo can't wait for the Loden suede Travelers to come in!

BrandonF

Reaction score
Late 30s here in the Midwest and I wear my GS loafers proudly in a sea of suburban dads sporting adidas slides, new balances and air monarchs. I try to maintain some semblance of professional attire even while working from home and refuse to downgrade to t-shirt, shorts like my peers on zoom meetings. GS loafers serve me well as house slippers. If you want something younger leaning and non preppy, try the Viberg slippers. I have the cheaper Patnoflex which are nice for the price and are equally versatile.
View attachment 1432626
Outside the house, do you mostly wear with pants or shorts?

TheWolf

Reaction score
Is there an age limit for sockless loafers? I'm really trying to talk myself into a pair of Dunes but you just don't see them here in the Midwest. I'm only 31 and I don't think I've ever seen someone younger than 65 wear them. They do look comfortable and really convenient to slip on if I need to run outside for a minute.
I'm also in my 30s and the dune traveler is easy top two most frequently worn of the GYW I wear, the bourbon suede traveler is likely in the top 3 as of now in the summer. I will wear them with pants or shorts, either way, nearly always sockless. It's nice. Try it, you'll like it.

Turns31

Reaction score
I'm also in my 30s and the dune traveler is easy top two most frequently worn of the GYW I wear, the bourbon suede traveler is likely in the top 3 as of now in the summer. I will wear them with pants or shorts, either way, nearly always sockless. It's nice. Try it, you'll like it.
Alright I'll ask my wife what she thinks. She's the only one I need to impress but she also only wears low top Chucks and flip flops from Target.

TheWolf

Reaction score
Alright I'll ask my wife what she thinks. She's the only one I need to impress but she also only wears low top Chucks and flip flops from Target.
It took a bit of getting used to, also break-in is key to comfort, like all nice leather-soled shoes (you know what I mean) I had a concerning amount of heel slip in the CXL at first but after the sole break-in, they are quite comfortable. I have even been known to wear them as slippers around the house. The suede pair, not surprisingly, was an easier break-in. Neither was brutal though.

ifticar2

Reaction score
speaking of Dune travelers, just wanted to share some pics of my pair. These have quickly become my go to summer shoe...I wear them even when doing errands in athletic shorts and a t-shirt. They're just so comfortable, and slip on so easily, that I don't want to wear anything else lol. First two pictures are from about a year ago. Last 3 are from this week

Attachments

• IMG_7846.jpeg
    IMG_7846.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7847.jpeg
    IMG_7847.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_7840.jpg
    IMG_7840.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_7841 (2).jpg
    IMG_7841 (2).jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7848.jpg
    IMG_7848.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 77

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
speaking of Dune travelers, just wanted to share some pics of my pair. These have quickly become my go to summer shoe...I wear them even when doing errands in athletic shorts and a t-shirt. They're just so comfortable, and slip on so easily, that I don't want to wear anything else lol. First two pictures are from about a year ago. Last 3 are from this week
Nice patina developing on them!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads