• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gte872h

Reaction score
Based on what I’ve seen from the pics and website the Fairfield has a single leather sole.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on what I’ve seen from the pics and website the Fairfield has a single leather sole.
Good to know. I still don't know the correct terminology apparently. I was thinking double thickness = double leather. So presence of midsole = double leather.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a great idea. I also seem to wear the toes on GS leather soles, but it seems to subside after a bit of break-in. I'll try this method next time.

Not an original idea with me, for sure. For the really stiff shoes you may have to push them down against the floor to get enough force to bend. Be careful though and don’t anyone blame me for destroying their leather uppers.

I saw one of the Youtube cobblers (Bedo’s Leatherworks?) pre-flex the leather bends used on their double-resoles once, which is the best case scenario, and who knows, maybe something like that is already done at the Grant Stone factory.

On a related note, I have also been known to judiciously condition my leather soles on occasion.

Wouldnt the new @GrantStone Fairfield be perfect then? I’m assuming they use the same thick leather sole as their derbies, but I don’t own any of their oxfords.

Their oxfords verifiably use a single leather sole which is much more flexible than the double sole.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I still don't know the correct terminology apparently. I was thinking double thickness = double leather. So presence of midsole = double leather.

I got your drift. A true double leather sole will have three visible layers of leather, one being the welt. So a single-leather sole does have two layers.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forest kudu day

D8E0F2A3-333A-423D-BE98-6A551DA5559B.jpeg

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scuffing them up already... Looks like the color is lighter towards the top of the boot, or is it an illusion? I'll bet these will look more appealing than Horween's olive waxed flesh with wear.

Also, do you notice a fit difference between the cap toes and the Ottawa? I've found my diesel to feel roomier than my cap toes but it could be a difference in leathers (CXL and calfskin respectively).

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having a hard time deciding whether to order the espresso or loden Traveler.

Personally I think the Loden is a more versatile color and a lot more interesting. (I have a thing for green-toned stuff though ;))
Hoping to place my first order for a pair of loden loafers and am unsure about the fit. Any of the gents have high instep and the loafers and are kind enough to comment on the fit? Or better yet, does anyone here have S&M's last year loafers and care to comment on how the fit compares to GS loafers? Thanks in advance!
I'm high-ish, and a little on the wide side. I found my (Dune CXL) Travelers firm but not uncomfortable at first. I wore them a fair bit last summer, and now they're entirely fine. I have to think suede would be pretty accommodating for most people if the sizing is right.

I've never been a sockless guy, but experimenting a bit with that pair for the last few days. I've always felt like I had wacky-wall-walker-feet in other loafers, but so far they seem to be doing pretty well (I'm not doing a ton of walking outside in them yet though).
I'm am sure. They do feel like tanks. The soles feel like they'll never wear out.
I've got over 500 miles on my Ottawas, and the soles look pretty insanely low-wear. A lot of those miles are from when I'm traveling and doing a lot of walking on sidewalks, etc.
Meanwhile I can wear 3/4 of the way through the toe of a double leather sole within 3-4 wears. Really depends how you walk, where you walk, how much you’re walking, etc.
Brother, that has to be a "you" thing. I do round the front edge of the toe off a bit at first, but once it's adjusted to my gait it stops and as I said above I have pairs with hundreds of walking miles, mainly sidewalks and streets. Have you done toe taps?
How does the sole break-in compare for the "dainite" sole compared to leather?
For me it's the same in boots - maybe the leather is a little stiffer for the first hour of wear, but that's about it. The only pair where I felt like I had any "break in" with GS was the English Tan Cap toes, and that was really the upper more than the sole (no discomfort, just a bit stiff at first). I did find the sole on my shell PTB's a bit clompy and stiff at first (though again they were never uncomfortable), but butter once they broken in after a dozen wears or so.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I think the Loden is a more versatile color and a lot more interesting. (I have a thing for green-toned stuff though ;))

Brother, that has to be a "you" thing. I do round the front edge of the toe off a bit at first, but once it's adjusted to my gait it stops and as I said above I have pairs with hundreds of walking miles, mainly sidewalks and streets. Have you done toe taps?
I 100% agree the loden is more interesting. Going off photos alone I feel like it might be a little too similar to my flint kudu suede loafers. Difficult to say since both the loden and flint kudu seem to change color quite in a bit in different lighting. That is the only reason I've been giving some thought to the espresso suede.

Wearing the toes fast is definitely a 'me' thing. Plenty of people seem to have no issues, but you can find a fair amount that have issues with toe wear on the leather soles so I don't think it is exclusively a me thing. Would not surprise me if it is a small minority.

I have tried metal toe taps on a few pairs and did not like them. The toes on leather and rubber feel nice enough to me with leather feeling the best. Add in the toe taps, and everything feels off. It made me not like the shoes anymore. When you walk in such a way that you push off from your toes and the toes are a metal plate it is a strange feeling. Sole guards, while not as pretty as full leather or toe taps, feel nice and seem to last a respectable amount of time.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I 100% agree the loden is more interesting. Going off photos alone I feel like it might be a little too similar to my flint kudu suede loafers. Difficult to say since both the loden and flint kudu seem to change color quite in a bit in different lighting. That is the only reason I've been giving some thought to the espresso suede.

Wearing the toes fast is definitely a 'me' thing. Plenty of people seem to have no issues, but you can find a fair amount that have issues with toe wear on the leather soles so I don't think it is exclusively a me thing. Would not surprise me if it is a small minority.

I have tried metal toe taps on a few pairs and did not like them. The toes on leather and rubber feel nice enough to me with leather feeling the best. Add in the toe taps, and everything feels off. It made me not like the shoes anymore. When you walk in such a way that you push off from your toes and the toes are a metal plate it is a strange feeling. Sole guards, while not as pretty as full leather or toe taps, feel nice and seem to last a respectable amount of time.
I totally get the little details making a big difference. I'm picky/twitchy, and feet/footwear is definitely a place where I can't put up with much. I'm guessing (hoping) you see the wear at the toe stop/slow once they've been worn to your gait. I recall my first week with my 500+ mile pair (I was traveling, and they were getting a lot of wears and miles right away) and seeing enough wear at the toe that it alarmed me. But I haven't noticed any significant additional wear since then.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I totally get the little details making a big difference. I'm picky/twitchy, and feet/footwear is definitely a place where I can't put up with much. I'm guessing (hoping) you see the wear at the toe stop/slow once they've been worn to your gait. I recall my first week with my 500+ mile pair (I was traveling, and they were getting a lot of wears and miles right away) and seeing enough wear at the toe that it alarmed me. But I haven't noticed any significant additional wear since then.
I would like to see how your Ottowa 's are looking after that much wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads