• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does the sole break-in compare for the "dainite" sole compared to leather?

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have found zero break in required for the micro-stud sole, the leather on the other hand, is rather "stiff" for a while.

Very interesting....you know I have a hell of a hard time with the heel counters, but I found zero difference between the micro-stud and the leather. I did find a difference between the travelers and everything else - the travelers broke in faster.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s why it’s good to purposefully flex the leather soles before and after the first few wears. When the soles are stiff starting out, the toe of the sole will dig into the ground while walking. I also wear leather soles just on carpet for a few days before going outside. This seems to help prevent toe wear. I am only 150 pounds, but I suppose heavier guys could properly flex new leather soles just from their weight while walking. Just my thoughts...

Lol. I'm maybe 3-4 pounds shy of 120 pounds and I can't flex the leather soles to any degree until I've worn them at least 10 full days haha. These things are tough straight out of the box.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even Grant Stone soles? If so, that’s impressive.

You sure as **** said that right. The PTBs / LWBs and boots - I couldn't even imagine coming close.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very interesting....you know I have a hell of a hard time with the heel counters, but I found zero difference between the micro-stud and the leather. I did find a difference between the travelers and everything else - the travelers broke in faster.
The single leather soles on their balmoral shoes break in much faster than the double leather soles on the Leo lasted shoes and boots. That said the single leather heels are just as tongue to break in as the LWBs and PTBs. The heel counters have yet to bother me on their boots. I've resorted to flexing the heel counters on the shoes with my hands pretty hard a few times early on. Seems to help a lot with the break in time.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've really had no problems with GS soles, yes.....break in seems to take longer than other brands, but that is just, in my opinion, the mark of a great sole. I have a worn some Ottawa's and Diesel boots on leather in all sorts of weather from dry and sunny to rainy/snowy and they still show very little wear. If ever a company made something to last a LONG, LONG time..it's GS and their leather sole.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You guys head on over to the GS Buy/Sell/Trade thread, I'm blowing out some stuff, someone could possibly get a great price on some incredible boots!

TheWolf

Reaction score
That’s why it’s good to purposefully flex the leather soles before and after the first few wears. When the soles are stiff starting out, the toe of the sole will dig into the ground while walking. I also wear leather soles just on carpet for a few days before going outside. This seems to help prevent toe wear. I am only 150 pounds, but I suppose heavier guys could properly flex new leather soles just from their weight while walking. Just my thoughts...
This is a great idea. I also seem to wear the toes on GS leather soles, but it seems to subside after a bit of break-in. I'll try this method next time.

gte872h

Reaction score
I’ve never had issues with breaking in a double leather sole. I don’t have a slight frame but I’m not a huge guy either. I’ve sort of been on the lookout for an Oxford/Balmoral with a double leather sole or something like Edward Green’s HAF sole. I even have these JM Weston’s with a triple sole. I just don’t find single leather soles very comfortable.
98AFBAF8-C998-47FA-9D01-958D3711760A.jpeg

BrandonF

Reaction score
I’ve never had issues with breaking in a double leather sole. I don’t have a slight frame but I’m not a huge guy either. I’ve sort of been on the lookout for an Oxford/Balmoral with a double leather sole or something like Edward Green’s HAF sole. I even have these JM Weston’s with a triple sole. I just don’t find single leather soles very comfortable.
View attachment 1422980

Wouldnt the new @GrantStone Fairfield be perfect then? I’m assuming they use the same thick leather sole as their derbies, but I don’t own any of their oxfords.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldnt the new @GrantStone Fairfield be perfect then? I’m assuming they use the same thick leather sole as their derbies, but I don’t own any of their oxfords.
It's a single leather sole but is fairly thick.

Edited because of wrong info.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads