• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had you considered doing a loop stitched onto the tongue? Wondering if this option would be as effective, while still allowing you to easily put the boot on...
Apparently not, though I’m very pleased with the stitching on my HM’s tongue. I’m not even sure what kind of loop you are referring to, like a vertical strip of leather that the laces go through?

AE did this to the HM, due to so many complaints of tongue slip.
Interesting, didn’t know that.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Apparently not, though I’m very pleased with the stitching on my HM’s tongue. I’m not even sure what kind of loop you are referring to, like a vertical strip of leather that the laces go through?
Yes, pretty common on Rancourt boots and on some AE. Helps keep the tongue in the center. Not uncommon on athletic shoes either.

TheWolf

Reaction score
As a data point for anyone looking for sizing feedback, I’ve always fit comfortably in a 9D in the Leo last (Ottowas and PTBs), but felt my 9D Oliver last (black oxford) a bit tight in the tow box. I also have fairly low instep, and was concerned about closure when going up a width. Oliver-lasted Fairfields just arrived in 9E, and they are perfect. :) Beautiful shoes.

So for me, one size wider on the Oliver last.
I agree with this. I actually got the pleasure of speaking with Wyatt on the phone (GS customer service is PHENOMENAL!!!!) and after a fairly lengthy description of my current shoes, and how they fit, we decided that for my foot, going wider was the key for the Oliver last. I usually get 9.5E or 10D in Leo last, but the 10E Oliver last balmorals fit fantastically. Good thing too, I needed them for a funeral and didn't have time for exchanges. Wyatt nailed it. Fit finish and service were all exceptional.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This works a bit better than the black pants. Depending on the lighting there can be a cool mix of lighter and darker shades of green peaking out. I imagine this will only get better with time. Definitely wouldn’t mind more orc skin Grant Stone models or perhaps some deep red or deep blue alternatives.

I should get all my cheap pants tailored. They’re all about 2-3” too long, and thus the cuffs end up a bit thick.

9EB9188D-74D1-454B-B526-218D7559816F.jpeg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This works a bit better than the black pants. Depending on the lighting there can be a cool mix of lighter and darker shades of green peaking out. I imagine this will only get better with time. Definitely wouldn’t mind more orc skin Grant Stone models or perhaps some deep red or deep blue alternatives.

I should get all my cheap pants tailored. They’re all about 2-3” too long, and thus the cuffs end up a bit thick.

View attachment 1420299
Khaki looks good paired with these!

BrandonF

Reaction score
Welp, my preorder is in for the Diesel. Should be a great fall boot, and I don't own any suede boots yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads