• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jbspicy

Reaction score
We have had quite a few people ask about leather care for the earth waxy commander. Most don't have a waterproof dubbing wax laying around but other products can be used to restore the color and the wax.
This is a worn earth diesel boot that has significant marks on the vamp. I used small amounts of neutral paste wax on this upper. It helped remove the scuffs and darken the leather back to almost the original color.

I would avoid conditioners that have almost a watery consistency like VSC because it can make the leather somewhat moist and attract dust/dirt. If very small amounts were applied it may not be an issue but a product that has more of a paste consistency and higher wax content will work better.
View attachment 1419659 View attachment 1419660
I am noticing some tongue twisting on the left boot, and this occurs on my right boot to the point where the laces come in direct contact with my ankle/foot. I've been told that overcorrecting for this when the boots are new, by twisting tongue the opposite direction before lace up, can help ensure the tongue settles in place correctly during break in. Or you can add a loop to hold it in position.

This twisting doesn't occur on my Vibergs, and it seems their wider tongue helps keep in in place. I personally would very much welcome a change to the tongue on the GS boots to help prevent the twisting.

Anyone have pictures of a loop stitched onto the tongue? Curious to see it in action.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t recommend pairing these with black pants, but that’s what I did today to show you what not to do. If these were faded black jeans it might be a different story. Didn’t have time to walk back in the door and swap to a different pair of pants before heading to work this morning.

Either way the boots themselves are pretty cool.

4FEF150A-B04F-412B-BF02-1280168C53F1.jpeg C3A21AC6-1F11-4B02-90A5-9BA085F1E34C.jpeg C74DDABB-48E5-43B7-B1C8-9A266A921FCC.jpeg

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The grey kudu is aging nicely. Awesome texture.

@Erikdayo Good pictures, black is not terrible with them at all. I still think grey denim would be dynamite with the forest kudu.

Interesting .. would u recommend using obenauf’s heavy duty LP ?
Seems like Obenauf's would work after reading about the leather. I have some SnoSeal that would probably show similar results (though Obenauf's is superior I have heard).

Boot weather if ever there was any :)
Imagine the guys out fighting fires in 100 degrees with 5 lb. White's boots, which are apparently the best thing for what they do.

I am noticing some tongue twisting on the left boot, and this occurs on my right boot to the point where the laces come in direct contact with my ankle/foot. I've been told that overcorrecting for this when the boots are new, by twisting tongue the opposite direction before lace up, can help ensure the tongue settles in place correctly during break in. Or you can add a loop to hold it in position.

This twisting doesn't occur on my Vibergs, and it seems their wider tongue helps keep in in place. I personally would very much welcome a change to the tongue on the GS boots to help prevent the twisting.

Anyone have pictures of a loop stitched onto the tongue? Curious to see it in action.
Tongue action?? Whoaa, slow down there...

So I dealt with this on my Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill boots: the tongue of the right boot was sliding to the outside. A row of stitching on the inside fixed it (securing one side of the tongue to the quarters). They're a lot harder to put on now, but it's worth it to keep the tongue in place. My Grant Stone calfskin cap-toe boots slide a little on my right foot and I think it has more to do with my foot than it does the boots, though a half-gusseted tongue would seem to be beneficial.

Last edited:

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Erikdayo Good pictures, black is not terrible with them at all. I still think grey denim would be dynamite with the forest kudu.
Grey would definitely work great.

As far as pairing with black pants it might look a little better if I swapped to black laces? I'm not sure. I could put on some black Alden flat waxed laces later. I managed to misplace my GG whiskey laces during the move. Not sure I'd like them with the forest kudu even though they would match the welt. I think they'd take away from how the hardware stands out with the forest kudu.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grey would definitely work great.

As far as pairing with black pants it might look a little better if I swapped to black laces? I'm not sure. I could put on some black Alden flat waxed laces later. I managed to misplace my GG whiskey laces during the move. Not sure I'd like them with the forest kudu even though they would match the welt.
Good call on black laces, it wouldn't hurt to try. The stitching even looks black in your pictures, though it could be dark green? Tan laces would be a no-go, IMO.

TheWolf

Reaction score

I have this problem quite badly on my GS cap toe boots, and to a lesser extent on the shell Ottawas. I have not been able to overcome it by overcompensating the tongue movement before lacing. I am near to the point of getting them stitched to keep it in place because they become uncomfortable. The shell boots are a different beast entirely. One of the shoes bites my instep badly, and I have yet to break them into the point of all-day wearability.

SoundBrewer

Reaction score
As a data point for anyone looking for sizing feedback, I’ve always fit comfortably in a 9D in the Leo last (Ottowas and PTBs), but felt my 9D Oliver last (black oxford) a bit tight in the tow box. I also have fairly low instep, and was concerned about closure when going up a width. Oliver-lasted Fairfields just arrived in 9E, and they are perfect. :) Beautiful shoes.

So for me, one size wider on the Oliver last.

jbspicy

Reaction score
The grey kudu is aging nicely. Awesome texture.

Seems like Obenauf's would work after reading about the leather. I have some SnoSeal that would probably show similar results (though Obenauf's is superior I have heard).

Imagine the guys out fighting fires in 100 degrees with 5 lb. White's boots, which are apparently the best thing for what they do.

Tongue action?? Whoaa, slow down there...

So I dealt with this on my Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill boots: the tongue of the right boot was sliding to the outside. A row of stitching on the inside fixed it (securing one side of the tongue to the quarters). They're a lot harder to put on now, but it's worth it to keep the tongue in place. My Grant Stone calfskin cap-toe boots slide a little on my right foot and I think it has more to do with my foot than it does the boots, though a half-gusseted tongue would seem to be beneficial.
Had you considered doing a loop stitched onto the tongue? Wondering if this option would be as effective, while still allowing you to easily put the boot on...

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
8.5D guys, going to be thinning the herd (various brands), so to speak, and will have a few GS for sale. Will post on GS B/S/T thread. Time to thin to make space for new.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads