• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried an unlined LHS out of curiosity? I have a high instep but I've had good luck on the unlined ones so far after a little break in.
No and honestly it was years ago when I had tried them on in the first place. It'd probably serve me well to take a trip and work through some different sizes and widths.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Travelers at the playground with my kiddo. Need more sun, but it hasn't been warm in MI long.
20200603_105216.jpg

SleepyTexan

Reaction score
@jischwar I've a moderately high instep as well and for short periods of time during break in they were fine but for longer periods there was discomfort, now they're extremely comfortable even for longer periods of time.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first Chelsea release will be later this month.

Can you compare to the ottawa / diesel / captoe in fit? I have zero trouble with the captoe but we've been over my issues with the diesel ad nauseam:). Also wondering how stiff the waxy upper would be in comparison to cxl. Thanks very much.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to get a feel for how the instep is on the Alexander last loafers. Most people have commented that they feel snug across the vamp. My best fitting loafers are C&J 376 last. Carmina Rain last also works. I have a PTB in 9.5D on Leo that fits well. Alden LHS are an absolute no-go for me.

Am I likely SOL on getting GS loafers to work?

I'm a little late to the party but I'll chime in anyway in case the extra data helps you.

My insteps aren't moderate; they're HIGH. The instep fit on the Leo last definitely bothers me when the shoes are brand new but they've broken in decently over time. Out of the box, I was almost convinced I couldn't even get the Travelers on my foot due to the instep being tighter than the Leo-lasted boots/shoes. But they did in fact go on with a shoe-horn. I'd say the first two days wears, full-day, like 14-16 hours a day, were a nightmare. My insteps were burning hot and red and hurt like a bastard. From that point on was basically downhill. The full break-in probably took many more wears, on the order of possibly 15-20, but the instep is completely fine now, even with medium weight socks.

I can't speak to the long-term for the LHS, but I tried on the lined version and the vamp bothered me a lot while at the same time the shoes felt like they had too much width / overall volume. The Traveler seems more shaped to an actual foot, meaning it's more snug in the heel than the Leo last but not overly snug like an AE Patriot. The vamp is snug but ok, and even though they look kind of big / bulbous in the pics, they're actually not all that large, just more volume where you'd need it.

In case it wasn't obvious, I think they're great shoes. Unfortunately, I'm down a full length from brannock on them (7.5 to a 6.5) and I'm just very close to the front to the point where I get some slight pinching on my left big toe. If it wasn't for that, I would have pre-ordered the shell already.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a little late to the party but I'll chime in anyway in case the extra data helps you.

My insteps aren't moderate; they're HIGH. The instep fit on the Leo last definitely bothers me when the shoes are brand new but they've broken in decently over time. Out of the box, I was almost convinced I couldn't even get the Travelers on my foot due to the instep being tighter than the Leo-lasted boots/shoes. But they did in fact go on with a shoe-horn. I'd say the first two days wears, full-day, like 14-16 hours a day, were a nightmare. My insteps were burning hot and red and hurt like a bastard. From that point on was basically downhill. The full break-in probably took many more wears, on the order of possibly 15-20, but the instep is completely fine now, even with medium weight socks.

I can't speak to the long-term for the LHS, but I tried on the lined version and the vamp bothered me a lot while at the same time the shoes felt like they had too much width / overall volume. The Traveler seems more shaped to an actual foot, meaning it's more snug in the heel than the Leo last but not overly snug like an AE Patriot. The vamp is snug but ok, and even though they look kind of big / bulbous in the pics, they're actually not all that large, just more volume where you'd need it.

In case it wasn't obvious, I think they're great shoes. Unfortunately, I'm down a full length from brannock on them (7.5 to a 6.5) and I'm just very close to the front to the point where I get some slight pinching on my left big toe. If it wasn't for that, I would have pre-ordered the shell already.
It must be an instep thing, as I put on the Travelers and wore them over 15 hours first day w/o issue or discomfort. My feet are, according to my Podiatrist...."generic" so that may factor in to it, I guess.

Josh Lange

Reaction score
Are the Navy suede Ottawa’s still in target for June delivery?

Thanks for sharing! It sounds like you're on the snug side of fitting the 6.5D. We want the feet to have enough room to spread naturally without feeling pinched. Sounds like you could maybe even get away with a 7D which would fit a little more relaxed.

officine

Reaction score
Please indulge a quick testimonial.

I've been looking for sturdy ready to wear PTB offering to fill a void in the shoe collection and happened to hear of Grant Stone from Styleforum. Given the great reviews and the price I took the leap and ordered the Leo Crimson PTB in the D width and 1/2 size smaller than my 8.5D Brannock.

I received the shoes yesterday and must say was extremely impressed by their craftsmanship, build and aesthetics. Unfortunately there was more volume than I felt comfortable with. I have a low volume foot and own an Alden Natty LWB and an Alden Dover unlined, both in Barrie last in C width and both 1/2 size smaller than my Brannock sizing.

I then went ahead and contacted GS to effectuate a refund.

An hour ago I get a call from an unknown number. To my surprise, it's Josh from GS! He wanted to understand if there were any issues with the shoes that left me unsatisfied. After I told him the quality was definitely not an issue and explained my peculiar sizing conundrum, we brainstormed on potential adjustments that could be made (eg. half insoles, sizing 1/2 size further down). As I am an experienced shoe buyer/owner my decision was to await at such time that they (potentially) introduce a C width Leo.

In the end, though the GS Leo PTB did not work for me, GS and Josh have earned a fan. I will definitely recommend the brand and look forward to making a purchase in the future.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm so jealous of your Dune Diesels. Perfect color and creasing. You won the CXL lottery, my friend.
Haha, perhaps I did. But to be fair, Grant Stone had a lot to do with it! They are also worn relatively little, and oft-maintained. I think they'll look a little rougher in time.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please indulge a quick testimonial.

I've been looking for sturdy ready to wear PTB offering to fill a void in the shoe collection and happened to hear of Grant Stone from Styleforum. Given the great reviews and the price I took the leap and ordered the Leo Crimson PTB in the D width and 1/2 size smaller than my 8.5D Brannock.

I received the shoes yesterday and must say was extremely impressed by their craftsmanship, build and aesthetics. Unfortunately there was more volume than I felt comfortable with. I have a low volume foot and own an Alden Natty LWB and an Alden Dover unlined, both in Barrie last in C width and both 1/2 size smaller than my Brannock sizing.

I then went ahead and contacted GS to effectuate a refund.

An hour ago I get a call from an unknown number. To my surprise, it's Josh from GS! He wanted to understand if there were any issues with the shoes that left me unsatisfied. After I told him the quality was definitely not an issue and explained my peculiar sizing conundrum, we brainstormed on potential adjustments that could be made (eg. half insoles, sizing 1/2 size further down). As I am an experienced shoe buyer/owner my decision was to await at such time that they (potentially) introduce a C width Leo.

In the end, though the GS Leo PTB did not work for me, GS and Josh have earned a fan. I will definitely recommend the brand and look forward to making a purchase in the future.
I am pretty low volume and lower instep. They are quite roomy for me as well especially when wearing them with thin socks. Did you try them with any cushioned socks? Helps a lot to fill out the volume. Hopefully someday they will offer narrow widths.

Here are the Leo lasted shoes I’m wearing today with thin socks. Not much gap between the quarters.

4C56F20F-4FA9-421E-BE3C-649CF9824BF5.jpeg

officine

Reaction score
I am pretty low volume and lower instep. They are quite roomy for me as well especially when wearing them with thin socks. Did you try them with any cushioned socks? Helps a lot to fill out the volume. Hopefully someday they will offer narrow widths.

Here are the Leo lasted shoes I’m wearing today with thin socks. Not much gap between the quarters.

View attachment 1400419
Indeed, tried them on with thicker crew socks and they felt better. Unfortunately, I'm wanting to use these with my regular dress socks. I'm just concerned about making allowances upon purchase...I've done so in the past and ended up selling at loss. If this were a boot it would be a different story.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads