• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not an auto detailing expert by any means but Clorox and most alcohol based solutions will really dry out leather and make it more brittle. Probably fine to use sparingly, though. I've been reading old fashioned soap and water may be the best solution.
Yes they can dry out leather, but that is why I treat the wheel, seats with an auto leather balm, to keep it supple. A wipe down won't with disinfecting wipes won't hurt as long as it is moisturized soon after and the stuff I use smells like a brand new leather interior :)

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally found out how to break in the stiff leather soles on GS shoes. Suede longwings are sublime.

IMG_20200402_094136.jpg
IMG_20200402_145049.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200402_094136.jpg
    IMG_20200402_094136.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 24

Jenkem Huffer

Reaction score
I would like to purchase a pair of Grant Stone Ottawa boots in Crimson Chromexcel. I own a pair of Alden 405s in a size 10 D. I really like the fit of the Trubalance last in 10 D. What size do you recommend in the Grant Stone Ottawa boot?

BrandonF

Reaction score
Just ordered the Crimson Diesels to complement my Dune’s. These will replace my Thursdays which I just can’t enjoy wearing anymore.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered the Crimson Diesels to complement my Dune’s. These will replace my Thursdays which I just can’t enjoy wearing anymore.

what's wrong with them? I still love mine.

Josh Lange

Reaction score
I would like to purchase a pair of Grant Stone Ottawa boots in Crimson Chromexcel. I own a pair of Alden 405s in a size 10 D. I really like the fit of the Trubalance last in 10 D. What size do you recommend in the Grant Stone Ottawa boot?

The majority of our customers in your situation would wear 10E or 10.5D in our Grant Stone collection.

BrandonF

Reaction score
what's wrong with them? I still love mine.

The fit, comfort and substance of the Diesel’s is just so much better, whenever I wear them I’m wishing I was wearing diesels. Plus, after a year they haven’t aged very well.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fit, comfort and substance of the Diesel’s is just so much better, whenever I wear them I’m wishing I was wearing diesels. Plus, after a year they haven’t aged very well.

fair enough. I haven’t had mine quite as long. They’re super comfy though.

Drzdave58

Reaction score
fair enough. I haven’t had mine quite as long. They’re super comfy though.
I’ve got Thursday presidents ...comfortable boots but my GS Ottawa’s are just at another level IMO

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve got Thursday presidents ...comfortable boots but my GS Ottawa’s are just at another level IMO

I have GS LWBs. Based on those alone I can’t believe that GS boots could ever be as comfy as my Thursday’s.

Drzdave58

Reaction score
I have GS LWBs. Based on those alone I can’t believe that GS boots could ever be as comfy as my Thursday’s.
Yes..I cant knock how comfortable Thursdays are at all. I just think the GS are a sturdier boot..I think for me I prefer the Leo last toe shape where as the Thursdays are a little more of a tapered t/narrower toe box..but I still wear my Thursdays as well

Last edited:

BrandonF

Reaction score
Yes..I cant knock how comfortable Thursdays are at all. I just think the GS are a sturdier boot..I think for me I prefer the Leo last toe shape where as the Thursdays are a little more of a tapered toe box..but I still wear my Thursdays as well

I would say Thursdays are comfortable, but I find both the leather and sole too thin. I can feel whatever I'm walking on, and have to add a thin insole to add more padding. GS Diesels are just so much more substantial, have better support, and my feet don't hurt after hours of wearing them.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny there’s discussion about TBC today, I was just looking through their stuff. Though I’m not opposed to buying from them in the future, nothing really jumped out at me. I will admit that their 1.5” natural CXL belt was tempting at the sale price but I resolved to save up for the Grant Stone one instead. The buckle on the Thursday belt was just odd looking and too big for my taste, plus I think you’ll get a nicer (and likely thicker) cut of Chromexcel on the GS belt.

By the way, who even wears 1 1/8“ belts? TBC has two sizes, that and 1 1/2”. Personally I can’t stand to wear belts that are less than 1 3/8” width.

Speaking of belts, I’m also holding out for some calfskin options from GS. I can’t find a british tan calf belt with antique brass hardware anywhere.

And in other news, I’m beating myself up for not adding a bottle of Venetian cream to my last order. Guess I’ll have to buy something else to get the free shipping.:D

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Funny there’s discussion about TBC today, I was just looking through their stuff. Though I’m not opposed to buying from them in the future, nothing really jumped out at me. I will admit that their 1.5” natural CXL belt was tempting at the sale price but I resolved to save up for the Grant Stone one instead. The buckle on the Thursday belt was just odd looking and too big for my taste, plus I think you’ll get a nicer (and likely thicker) cut of Chromexcel on the GS belt.

By the way, who even wears 1 1/8“ belts? TBC has two sizes, that and 1 1/2”. Personally I can’t stand to wear belts that are less than 1 3/8” width.

Speaking of belts, I’m also holding out for some calfskin options from GS. I can’t find a british tan calf belt with antique brass hardware anywhere.

And in other news, I’m beating myself up for not adding a bottle of Venetian cream to my last order. Guess I’ll have to buy something else to get the free shipping.:D
Have a couple of the GS belts, imagine a Diesel boot turned into a belt, that is the CXL level.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads