• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Diesels today:

20200331_diesels.jpg

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of us on the fence about the Cognac Pebble, what do you think about em? Worried they’re gonna be more orange than brown..(A picture couldn’t hurt too :))
I too was puzzled about the color of the pebble grain since there is quite a bit of variation between certain photos. For instance, compare their longwing stock photo to the derby stock photo and you will notice the longwing has a darker, richer tone. The longwing also happens to omit "antique" from the title, although I hear from the source that "cognac pebble grain" and "antique cognac pebble grain" are really the same. I suspect the different appearance may be due to varying leather batches and the degree of finishing applied to each shoe. Of course the lighting, camera, and potential color correction used for each photo play the biggest part in color reproduction (to say nothing of your computer monitor or device screen). I happen to prefer the darker finish in the longwing photos, but I imagine this could be attained over time on a lighter base leather with conditioning and brown shoe cream.

Oh nice!! Well, that settles it... now to decide between the Ottawa or Derby??....
In my opinion the Ottawa looks the best, though it depends on what is more suitable for your personal style.

stormboy202

Reaction score
I too was puzzled about the color of the pebble grain since there is quite a bit of variation between certain photos. For instance, compare their longwing stock photo to the derby stock photo and you will notice the longwing has a darker, richer tone. The longwing also happens to omit "antique" from the title, although I hear from the source that "cognac pebble grain" and "antique cognac pebble grain" are really the same. I suspect the different appearance may be due to varying leather batches and the degree of finishing applied to each shoe. Of course the lighting, camera, and potential color correction used for each photo play the biggest part in color reproduction (to say nothing of your computer monitor or device screen). I happen to prefer the darker finish in the longwing photos, but I imagine this could be attained over time on a lighter base leather with conditioning and brown shoe cream.

In my opinion the Ottawa looks the best, though it depends on what is more suitable for your personal style.
Hum, those are very good points you bring up; its that freaking texture that keeps bringing me back. Yeah I’m with you, my preference is the darker finish as well, but at this price the cream/conditioning route (with wears too) seems feasible, appreciate the insight.

The Ottawa’s on here look fantastic...gonna be a tough decision for sure

ryebreadiest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
712721F1-11E2-462F-BB75-CBDE01CD0109.jpeg

The Color is exactly what was on the website, a nice warm orange brown. I think they look good as a plain derby - between the color and pebble grain, I think the LWB version might just have a LOT going on.

That said, I’m not 100%sure how to style them. They arnt a “goes with anything” shade of brown, that’s for sure. Might end up sending them back for the crimson CXL LWB.

I’m still sort of lost with my size choice as well. 12D is a nice tight fit that I know will stretch a bit to be perfect, but that’s only with thin dress socks on - can’t even get them on with my thick CHUP socks. 12E is fine but I worry it will stretch too much.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1363940
The Color is exactly what was on the website, a nice warm orange brown. I think they look good as a plain derby - between the color and pebble grain, I think the LWB version might just have a LOT going on.

That said, I’m not 100%sure how to style them. They arnt a “goes with anything” shade of brown, that’s for sure. Might end up sending them back for the crimson CXL LWB.

I’m still sort of lost with my size choice as well. 12D is a nice tight fit that I know will stretch a bit to be perfect, but that’s only with thin dress socks on - can’t even get them on with my thick CHUP socks. 12E is fine but I worry it will stretch too much.
Really like that color and the pebble grain, if only in a Diesel boot...........

Drzdave58

Reaction score
Hum, those are very good points you bring up; its that freaking texture that keeps bringing me back. Yeah I’m with you, my preference is the darker finish as well, but at this price the cream/conditioning route (with wears too) seems feasible, appreciate the insight.

The Ottawa’s on here look fantastic...gonna be a tough decision for sure
You won’t be disappointed with the Ottawa boot...I was reluctant to get them but when I did I absolutely love them..just as much as or maybe more than my diesels

BrandonF

Reaction score
You’d think I’d know this, but curious how well the Dune and Saddle Tan boots clean up (mud, etc). Haven’t really wanted to try personally! My wife and I had a disagreement about going to the dog park; I didn’t want to go in my Dune Diesels since it’s usually a bit muddy and the dog always finds a way to stand on my shoes. But my wife thought I was worried too much, that the leather would easily handle it. Thoughts?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You’d think I’d know this, but curious how well the Dune and Saddle Tan boots clean up (mud, etc). Haven’t really wanted to try personally! My wife and I had a disagreement about going to the dog park; I didn’t want to go in my Dune Diesels since it’s usually a bit muddy and the dog always finds a way to stand on my shoes. But my wife thought I was worried too much, that the leather would easily handle it. Thoughts?
Dune Diesel boots will handle it, no matter what it is, short of perhaps a nuclear accident. Dog park, no problem at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads