• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is it! It is also in the Alexander last. Initially, I didn't know if it would work thinking it might need to be sharper with a narrower toe box but we are really happy with it. Even when working in the warehouse standing for over 8 hours it's a comfortable last/pattern.

Our first order will be in three colors, hopefully we can introduce more come next spring.

It was supposed to be late summer before the recent events, hopefully it won't be delayed too much.

How does the Alexander last work, I say this as someone who find CJ Cavandish on 325 too narrow in toebox, also find Alden Aberdeen too narrow in toebox (up length too long, up width heel too loose)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I finally pulled the trigger on getting some GS, but have struggled with size. I tried a 8.5E in Ottawa and it was very tight. For reference, 8EE iron ranger fits very well and my foot is wide because I have tailor bunions. I just received a Diesel 8.5EEE and it fits well, but I’m surprised how much wider it is. Those who have diesels and Ottawa’s in the same size and width, do they fit the same? I did speak with Josh about this and I do understand they are the same last, just looking for real world experiences. Thanks!
I have both in same size and detect no noticeable difference in fit.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How does the Alexander last work, I say this as someone who find CJ Cavandish on 325 too narrow in toebox, also find Alden Aberdeen too narrow in toebox (up length too long, up width heel too loose)
not as narrow in toe box as Aberdeen that's for sure, I don't have CJ's so can't speak to their fit. Currently, my only loafers are GS and Alden Aberdeen lasted, plus a few old AE's that have stretched over the years so are not a valid comparison.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

There is a lot of wider loafer lasts but most are usually used on casual styles like boat shoes or driving mocassins. Making a dressier loafer with this shape is difficult. Most of the classic dress loafers tend to have a certain look and that includes a sharper toe.

The alexander last relies on the heel and instep to hold the foot in place just like any other last. The responses regarding fit have been great so we really wanted to try and use this last on more platforms if possible.

ryebreadiest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first pair of grant stones were 12E boots and I think they are a touch big. I ordered 3 pairs of shoes during this sale: Dirty Bucks in 11.5E, Cognac Pebble derbies in 12D and coffee suede long wings in 12E thinking this would allow me dial it in. They just got here and...all 3 fit well? The 12E suede have a bit of heel slip on my left (smaller) foot but the vamp is like a glove. Not sure what this means frankly. I wear an 11.5 in Viberg 2030 and I can fit into either 11.5E or 12D Barrie. Maybe it’s just big feet privilege?

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think that has anything to do with the size of your feet. The lasts you mentioned are very forgiving lasts. The size options that feel okay-good will be greatly reduced with lasts that are more narrow and chiseled.

stormboy202

Reaction score
My first pair of grant stones were 12E boots and I think they are a touch big. I ordered 3 pairs of shoes during this sale: Dirty Bucks in 11.5E, Cognac Pebble derbies in 12D and coffee suede long wings in 12E thinking this would allow me dial it in. They just got here and...all 3 fit well? The 12E suede have a bit of heel slip on my left (smaller) foot but the vamp is like a glove. Not sure what this means frankly. I wear an 11.5 in Viberg 2030 and I can fit into either 11.5E or 12D Barrie. Maybe it’s just big feet privilege?
For those of us on the fence about the Cognac Pebble, what do you think about em? Worried they’re gonna be more orange than brown..(A picture couldn’t hurt too :))

malefe

Reaction score
20200325_215942.jpg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well fricc man unless you're in tux or super luxe wedding biz these r more than fine.
Most peeps wearing sneaks, cat hair, and sweatpants these days
Well with a lot of people working from home, I guess that's true. I personally wouldn't wear pebble grain or longwings with a suit and tie, but to each their own.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well with a lot of people working from home, I guess that's true. I personally wouldn't wear pebble grain or longwings with a suit and tie, but to each their own.

I wouldn't wear pebble grains with a business suit to a board meeting. But I'd happily wear them with a tweed suit or something similar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics