• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New arrival for me too - Dune CXL LWB. I'll try to get some pictures up later if possible.

The Good: I hesitated a little, as I had just gotten the Dune PTB and I'm much more of a dark colored shoe guy (I think I own more black than anything else still) but these (and like everything else GS produces it seems like) are like a visual masterpiece. The way different areas darken to different shades, the wing pattern really makes this pop. These two - the PTB and LWB go way beyond making up for my disappointment with the Academy/Alumnus from my other favorite brand.

The Bad: I was almost convinced that GS' QC was virtually perfect, but...finally the winning streak is broken. On the bottom of one of the shoes, in the channel area right by the tip of the toebox, the leather is cracked and uneven, with a wider groove where the stitching passes through. Absolutely not a big deal given (especially given the insanely low prices right now) but I'm surprised this kind of flaw made it through - this definitely (to me anyway) seems like more of a flaw than any of the B-grades I've gotten so far, and these were "A" grades.

The Ugly: Yeah baby, outsoles that feel stiff and hard as a rock here we go again! Used my trick to speed things up - wore them out of the box with the thickest wool hiking socks I owned and finally took them off...when I was on the verge of tears due to the heel pain. They are now feeling …. much much better. Probably will be perfect after 1-2 more full day wears. Why does everything have to hurt so bad when new, lol :)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New arrival for me too - Dune CXL LWB. I'll try to get some pictures up later if possible.

The Good: I hesitated a little, as I had just gotten the Dune PTB and I'm much more of a dark colored shoe guy (I think I own more black than anything else still) but these (and like everything else GS produces it seems like) are like a visual masterpiece. The way different areas darken to different shades, the wing pattern really makes this pop. These two - the PTB and LWB go way beyond making up for my disappointment with the Academy/Alumnus from my other favorite brand.

The Bad: I was almost convinced that GS' QC was virtually perfect, but...finally the winning streak is broken. On the bottom of one of the shoes, in the channel area right by the tip of the toebox, the leather is cracked and uneven, with a wider groove where the stitching passes through. Absolutely not a big deal given (especially given the insanely low prices right now) but I'm surprised this kind of flaw made it through - this definitely (to me anyway) seems like more of a flaw than any of the B-grades I've gotten so far, and these were "A" grades.

The Ugly: Yeah baby, outsoles that feel stiff and hard as a rock here we go again! Used my trick to speed things up - wore them out of the box with the thickest wool hiking socks I owned and finally took them off...when I was on the verge of tears due to the heel pain. They are now feeling …. much much better. Probably will be perfect after 1-2 more full day wears. Why does everything have to hurt so bad when new, lol :)
It's funny, but I have never had any pain with GS when new, or after a few hundred miles for that matter. I do wear thicker socks with the boots, but doubt that is a contributor for me. Heel cup just fits so darn good on Leo last..........I'm sorry that you have to suffer through a break-in process and am glad you found the work around.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't know if this would help you any, but I hand flex stiff soles before wearing. I'll give them a pretty hard flex back and forth until they start feeling "broken in"

Ben B

Reaction score
Here’s my first pair of Ottawas (my 8th GS in total). Perfect out of the box. The matching stitching on the pebbled finally won me over to an Ottawa.
4FBE0A7B-570C-4B1B-AC20-DDDAA3FCAC8B.jpeg

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
B grade? I heard they were a lighter batch.

These look incredible. Wow.

@Neo1 Always a good read. Post pictures when able.
No, not B grade. Although they did have a couple small dings, that would happen with wear.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, not B grade. Although they did have a couple small dings, that would happen with wear.
The lighting makes them appear much lighter than I expected, especially compared to the above Ottawa photo. I decided against a pair in B grade (now sold out) mainly because it wasn’t my ideal size but also because they were from a lighter batch apparently.

Small dings seem to be more pronounced with pebble grain like that. Nice pair though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads