• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JDKing

Reaction score
What about the shape on Rancourt loafers is better for your feet? I don’t have a pair of loafers yet but will on Monday. Based on my experience with their camp mocs it seems like the last they use is much better for lower volume feet than Grant Stone’s loafer last.

That said I wouldn’t be surprised if Rancourt loafers aren’t great for people with higher insteps and higher volume feet while the Grant Stones fit perfectly.

I agree. I have very flat feet. The Rancourt loafers work a little better for my flat and wide feet. I like my Grantstone shoes a lot. I have nothing bad to say about the shoes. But, when trying to find things that work with my foot shape, I have to accept something less than perfect.

Darkishhaddock

Reaction score
Another day of stomping through snow and ice and couldn’t risk wearing leather soles, so walnut derbies got the call. This time with new shoelaces.

F3E87F48-4B85-442A-8E97-3A2906A6A19E.jpeg

Darkishhaddock

Reaction score
Snow/Ice/Leather sole = injury. I know.

Word. These shoes have stepped through 2-3 inches of snow all winter, as they did today. All I did was wipe them against the jeans and they come out looking all shiny. You can see the stains on the jeans.
For any more snow, my trusty bean boots can’t be beat. They may not be the prettiest but have never let me down.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of navy cxl and a pair of suede, both in 7.5 E. The suede fit much better than the cxl, but I'm not totally sure why. I do have a narrow heel; while I need the wide forefoot, the with of the heel is a bit too much. I think that because the CXL is stiffer than the suede, I get more heel slip in that pair than the suede.

The pro of the Rancourt loafers is that they are slightly shorter than the Grantstone's; I think that their loafers work slightly better for my foot shape, and I stick with 7.5 E in the Rancourt moccasins.

I wanted to comment on this one before I signed off.

I have wanted a really good high quality CXL loafer for a long time but haven't been able to find the "right one." I brannock at a 7.5C, both feet, very high instep on the right, moderate on the left, but low volume (I can sometimes get away with a B-width, sometimes a D is too wide). I was super hesitant about what to get but finally pulled the trigger on a pair of crimson b-grade Travelers in a 6.5D. The fit was good for the heel, the vamp was iffy, and the length was borderline ok / borderline short. I wore these shoes a ton and after total break-in I wish they were a touch longer (my big toe feels a bit of pressure when walking and the vamp bends and folds) but they're pretty damn good. Enough that when the dune was available as a B-grade I quickly pulled the trigger. And the fit is the same (which is a good thing, consistency). I like the Traveler a lot, but it's not optimal.

The Leo last I feel is super accommodating - you're going to get it to work (albeit maybe not optimally) in some size. The Alexander last used by the Traveler is definitely more tricky. It's comparable to the Leo but definitely shorter and less voluminous. I have heard comparisons with AE's 606 as well as Alden's Van, but its different enough from those two that I feel it's still a trial-and-error type of deal.

I have never tried Rancourt's loafers, but I could sit here and write you a thesis dissertation on AE's 114, 800 and 2592 lasts (which I believe Rancourt still uses) if I had to ….I know these lasts like the back of my hand.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to comment on this one before I signed off.

I have wanted a really good high quality CXL loafer for a long time but haven't been able to find the "right one." I brannock at a 7.5C, both feet, very high instep on the right, moderate on the left, but low volume (I can sometimes get away with a B-width, sometimes a D is too wide). I was super hesitant about what to get but finally pulled the trigger on a pair of crimson b-grade Travelers in a 6.5D. The fit was good for the heel, the vamp was iffy, and the length was borderline ok / borderline short. I wore these shoes a ton and after total break-in I wish they were a touch longer (my big toe feels a bit of pressure when walking and the vamp bends and folds) but they're pretty damn good. Enough that when the dune was available as a B-grade I quickly pulled the trigger. And the fit is the same (which is a good thing, consistency). I like the Traveler a lot, but it's not optimal.

The Leo last I feel is super accommodating - you're going to get it to work (albeit maybe not optimally) in some size. The Alexander last used by the Traveler is definitely more tricky. It's comparable to the Leo but definitely shorter and less voluminous. I have heard comparisons with AE's 606 as well as Alden's Van, but its different enough from those two that I feel it's still a trial-and-error type of deal.

I have never tried Rancourt's loafers, but I could sit here and write you a thesis dissertation on AE's 114, 800 and 2592 lasts (which I believe Rancourt still uses) if I had to ….I know these lasts like the back of my hand.
Tried to pm you about sizing, wouldn't let me....

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm assuming it's because of the steel shank which I'm not used to. Will that loosen up overtime? @GrantStone
The steel shank is part of it but it’s also the thickness of our leather insoles, midsole and outsole. This will get better with wear as the leather is being flexed. Our leather sole products are the stiffest out of the box but once you become accustomed to this, it can be a desired feeling. I really only wear leather soles for this reason and how the shoe rolls once it is broken in.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The steel shank is part of it but it’s also the thickness of our leather insoles, midsole and outsole. This will get better with wear as the leather is being flexed. Our leather sole products are the stiffest out of the box but once you become accustomed to this, it can be a desired feeling. I really only wear leather soles for this reason and how the shoe rolls once it is broken in.

Good to hear - looking forward to the process.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to the cobbler earlier. Getting metal toe taps installed on 3 pairs of Grant Stones so I won’t see them for up to a week. On the left shoe my LWBs are worn almost all the way through the first layer of leather already. Only half a dozen wears at most. Something about the way I walk just isn’t great with leather toes. The rest of sole seems to be about as thick as it was brand new.

BrandonF

Reaction score
Went to the cobbler earlier. Getting metal toe taps installed on 3 pairs of Grant Stones so I won’t see them for up to a week. On the left shoe my LWBs are worn almost all the way through the first layer of leather already. Only half a dozen wears at most. Something about the way I walk just isn’t great with leather toes. The rest of sole seems to be about as thick as it was brand new.

I brought a pair to the cobbler to have stretched while I was figuring out my size, and the cobbler took a long look at them and then said “these are some nice shoes”. He kept raving about them when I picked them up too.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I brought a pair to the cobbler to have stretched while I was figuring out my size, and the cobbler took a long look at them and then said “these are some nice shoes”. He kept raving about them when I picked them up too.
Yea. The guy at the shop that checked these in seemed impressed with the quality as well. Seems it was his first time seeing Grant Stone shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads