• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Erikdayo Do you have a wider forefoot and narrow heel also? I think that stretching out the toes a little bit on a smaller size shoe may be a viable solution.

Turns31

Reaction score
Nat CXL is the best CXL.

Attachments

• IMG_20200228_125257.jpg
    IMG_20200228_125257.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 65

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Erikdayo Do you have a wider forefoot and narrow heel also? I think that stretching out the toes a little bit on a smaller size shoe may be a viable solution.
I believe that is accurate. I could post a lovely foot picture here, but I’ll spare everyone. Stretching the toes could work. Another consideration for me thinking even 1 full size down won’t work is the fact this these are CXL.

Worst case scenario is these can’t work for me, and I should just get the Rancourt penny loafers I had on order originally.

Guess this means those upcoming tassel loafers might not work for me either.

JDKing

Reaction score
Looking at the kind of fit you have on the cap toe boots (just like me), I'm not surprised. Have you tried anything from Grant Stone a full size down from Brannock? If you haven't worn them yet definitely reach out to them first!

I have a pair of navy cxl and a pair of suede, both in 7.5 E. The suede fit much better than the cxl, but I'm not totally sure why. I do have a narrow heel; while I need the wide forefoot, the with of the heel is a bit too much. I think that because the CXL is stiffer than the suede, I get more heel slip in that pair than the suede.

The pro of the Rancourt loafers is that they are slightly shorter than the Grantstone's; I think that their loafers work slightly better for my foot shape, and I stick with 7.5 E in the Rancourt moccasins.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First wear of my inaugural pair of GS today, longwings. These suckers are stiff. Wider shallow heel + stiff soles = heel slippage until the break in. Ouch.

BrandonF

Reaction score
First wear of my inaugural pair of GS today, longwings. These suckers are stiff. Wider shallow heel + stiff soles = heel slippage until the break in. Ouch.

Are you sure you have the right fit? There shouldn’t be much break in, depending on the leather. Some heel slip is normal as the heel will mold to your foot.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you have the right fit? There shouldn’t be much break in, depending on the leather. Some heel slip is normal as the heel will mold to your foot.

Yes, I believe so. Fit wise the feel about as well fitting as anything I've put on. Definitely would not want to go up or down nor wide/narrow.

They are just very stiff, can barely flex them by hand.

Last edited:

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of navy cxl and a pair of suede, both in 7.5 E. The suede fit much better than the cxl, but I'm not totally sure why. I do have a narrow heel; while I need the wide forefoot, the with of the heel is a bit too much. I think that because the CXL is stiffer than the suede, I get more heel slip in that pair than the suede.

The pro of the Rancourt loafers is that they are slightly shorter than the Grantstone's; I think that their loafers work slightly better for my foot shape, and I stick with 7.5 E in the Rancourt moccasins.
Thanks for the tip on CXL vs. suede. Are both pairs plain-toes? I have found that busier patterns on the upper can make for a tighter fit (i.e. wingtips).

Want to say that I have nothing against Grant Stone. With my narrow heels, slippage is something I struggle with in just about every brand I have tried.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I believe so. Fit wise the feel about as well fitting as anything I've put on. Definitely would not want to go up or down nor wide/narrow.

They are just very stiff, can barely flex them by hand.

I'm assuming it's because of the steel shank which I'm not used to. Will that loosen up overtime? @GrantStone

JDKing

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on CXL vs. suede. Are both pairs plain-toes? I have found that busier patterns on the upper can make for a tighter fit (i.e. wingtips).

Want to say that I have nothing against Grant Stone. With my narrow heels, slippage is something I struggle with in just about every brand I have tried.

Oh, both my navy and suede shoes are loafers. I have no trouble with heel slip in my boots. I like the loafers quite a lot; I find the suede ones to be more comfortable because i get less heel slip.

I can manage the heel slip by wearing socks. But my habit (gross as it may be) had been to wear loafers sock-less.

adrs1157

Reaction score
Yea. I should have seen it coming as well. Probably similar to how some people say Van last Aldens just don't work for them. Sent GS an email. I only took a few steps at the office, and my heels were sliding practically all the way out with micro crew cushion socks.

I have not tried anything a full size down from Grant Stone. My feeling is that while it could be slightly better for overall volume it could also get uncomfortable for my big toes and/or pinky toes based on my experiences sizing down that far with other shoes. It could potentially work for the Travelers because I'd only planned to wear them with thin socks or sockless. Based on the sheer volume and heel slip with 1/2 size down using medium weight socks I almost feel like I might have to size down 1 1/2 sizes to not get heel slip with lighter socks/no socks, but at that point my toes would almost for sure be getting crushed.
I know this struggle well. I think we have similar feet. My Brannock measurement is closest to 9.5E, yet I wear Alden Barrie in size 8.5E comfortably in thin socks.

At 9D, I get heel slip, overlapping facings (due to low instep and thin ankles), and a voluminous feeling in the toe box. Not toe box width, but height. Whenever I picked up my foot the tops of my toss would hit the top of the toe stiffener. Many parts of my feet would feel sore after a day of wearing them. It was awful. It just didn't feel natural.

I have strange feet and size all over the place in many lasts. It sucks.

But finding that magical fitting is fantastic.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What about the shape on Rancourt loafers is better for your feet? I don’t have a pair of loafers yet but will on Monday. Based on my experience with their camp mocs it seems like the last they use is much better for lower volume feet than Grant Stone’s loafer last.

That said I wouldn’t be surprised if Rancourt loafers aren’t great for people with higher insteps and higher volume feet while the Grant Stones fit perfectly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads