• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cognac Pebble Grain Ottawa B-grades. I still haven't figured out the flaw!
View attachment 1340545 View attachment 1340546
First day with the bourbon Diesel. Not sure if the quarters are a little off or it’s just the thick leather laces + less eyelets making it seem that way. Looks mostly better in the 2nd picture because I flattened out a part that was sticking out a bit. Either way not really worried about it.

Seems like the other laces I’d like to try with these boots won’t be in til Saturday.

View attachment 1340598 View attachment 1340599
I didn’t try over under yet, but I swapped it to this which seems to hold the quarters in place better.

I also realized that the tongue is partially gusseted. Wasn’t expecting that based on my other GS shoes. I’ve owned some Red Wings before and I found that messing with the way the gusset sits can greatly change the way the quarters align. The same trick I used to do helped here. I pushed the gusseting inward as much as I could. That means pushing it right on the left boot and left on the right boot.

it’s not 100% perfect, but it’s definitely way better. More than good enough for my tolerances. I will still consider other lacing techniques as this isn’t one of my favorites visually.

View attachment 1340639

edit: based on where the quarter bunches up due to the lacing this seems to work even better.

View attachment 1340685

Based on aesthetics alone, I think option two looks the best. Usually I go with option one. Option three looks a little messy with the bulky leather laces. I have noticed that Grant Stone ships their shoes with the second type of lacing. It seems to work more effectively at locking down fit.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Storm suede Diesel on the cavity wedge sole is now live! This boot ships in 1-2 weeks and is currently in D width only (sorry @Genericuser1 & @BrandonF). See Here.

Our belts and wallets have also been restocked.

View attachment 1340775
No worries, I'm not a cavity wedge sole guy, price is excellent though.

For future consideration I think a dark olive suede might be a good pre-order/limited run. Just got some loafers in that color and really like the shade.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm so excited about the dirty bucks that I might try a pair in E width. I'm a EEE but... we'll see what happens. E probably won't work but those bucks look so great that I'm going to give it a shot!

BrandonF

Reaction score
I'm so excited about the dirty bucks that I might try a pair in E width. I'm a EEE but... we'll see what happens. E probably won't work but those bucks look so great that I'm going to give it a shot!

For what it’s worth, I prefer an 8.5EEE but can wear 9E (sometimes with a bit of stretching) especially on a blucher and with thin socks (or sockless for the bucks).

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on aesthetics alone, I think option two looks the best. Usually I go with option one. Option three looks a little messy with the bulky leather laces. I have noticed that Grant Stone ships their shoes with the second type of lacing. It seems to work more effectively at locking down fit.
Option 3 I agree is a little messier looking, but it does keep the quarters in check the best overall. Option 2 being the 2nd best. As far as the lacing I feel the flat laces, though they are my favorite style, look a little odd with the large eyelets. You are probably correct about them being better functionally. I'm awaiting an order from Guarded Goods with their thicker flat laces along with the thicker round laces.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shew, those Storm Suede Diesels look better and better the more I look at them.... :drool:

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The almost daily pics.

Very happy with how these laces add to the look of these shoes.

E4E8CAE5-B173-483D-80DE-88B8EA41A729.jpeg B2DB08A4-0B76-41DF-8387-FE8E0C171C15.jpeg

nmh20

Reaction score
@GrantStone do you guys sell your leather laces or can you point me to where I can get some like it?

My Guarded Goods laces broke on the 3rd wear but the ones that came with my Diesels seem very durable.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@GrantStone do you guys sell your leather laces or can you point me to where I can get some like it?

My Guarded Goods laces broke on the 3rd wear but the ones that came with my Diesels seem very durable.
I'd send you a couple pair of GS leather if they don't have any. PM me with your mailing info

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More laces to try out. Can’t decide whether I like these more than the flat laces in the same color. Also ordered the thinner round laces to compare.

These laces in both brown and whiskey don’t work for me on the bourbon diesel. The darker brown on the leather laces just seems more right. Same goes for the thicker flat laces. I do have some hope that one of those pairs will work on the midnight suede Ottawa whenever that arrives. Or maybe some tan leather laces.

59437C2A-B72B-4EB1-9BC1-19D6941E3190.jpeg

Darkishhaddock

Reaction score
More laces to try out. Can’t decide whether I like these more than the flat laces in the same color. Also ordered the thinner round laces to compare.

These laces in both brown and whiskey don’t work for me on the bourbon diesel. The darker brown on the leather laces just seems more right. Same goes for the thicker flat laces. I do have some hope that one of those pairs will work on the midnight suede Ottawa whenever that arrives. Or maybe some tan leather laces.

View attachment 1341813
The vamp break on that pair looks great. What denim is that?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics