• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cap toes for a store run.
20200214_192711.jpg

alset_rl

Reaction score
I find the laces that come with the cap toe boots to be too long (60in). I would like to replace them with a 48in flat lace. Any good recommendations ?

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the stock ones really 60"? Figured they were 54". If they are 60" then perhaps I'll invest in some 54" pairs. They are on the longer side for sure.

cegusa

Reaction score
Hello, Just want to ask a quick question.

I had ordered venetian shoe balm for my Diesel CXL boots. This is the first time i have seen or used it.

The consistency look a bit off to me. Looks like there is a solid mass in the middle (like yogurt) and milk like liquid around it.

I have given a decent shake but it is not doing much.

Can someone tell me of this is normal or do i need to do something else ? Am i missing something ?

View attachment 1336757 View attachment 1336758 View attachment 1336759

I find using something somewhat narrow and long enough to reach the bottom of the jar and stirring it some helps even out the consistency fairly well.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just put the 54" whiskey laces from Guarded Goods on my GS cap toes as a test. They really are a little shorter. I think 48" would be close to being too short, but the 54" is nice. Only negative is I only ordered whiskey. Fantastic color with a natural edge, but brown laces might go better with the brown edge. Off I go to order some more laces to make sure I have all my options covered.

pajama pants and no socks. The laces would be slightly less tight with my cushioned wool socks.

8ABD5297-6A57-49B9-B404-969E45CBFA5D.jpeg

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Partly due to how tight the laces are with no socks. imo the length is decent, but I have 48" round laces on the way too. Will try all options.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Give the berluti knot a go
it is. I learned to do it after asking members in this thread very recently. The stock laces on my cap toes seemed to come loose quite often with a reef knot. Since swapping to Berluti they haven’t come loose at all. Not only that, but it’s a more aesthetically pleasing knot for my boat shoes and camp mocs.

postjack

Reaction score
Hey all! I'd like to get everyone's opinion on Grant Stone sizing, I've tried a few different sizes and am struggling to dial in my fit. I've emailed with Grant Stone and they've been great with replies, but I'd like to know what the community thinks as well. My concern is that Grant Stone might just not be a good fit for me. I posted the following on r/goodyearwelt a few days ago so apologize for those rereading:

My brannock size is 11.5D/E (right on the edge)
My AE size in the 65 last is 10.5E. Fits like a glove, more comfortable than sneakers.

I own the following from GS:

Traveller 11D
Traveller 10.5E

Not a huge difference size wise in these shoes. I find that in both I there is a distinct pressure on the top of my foot that causes some discomfort or even pain as the day goes on. I can't wait to get them off when I get home. This pain happens with thin or thick socks. There is a minor amount of heel slip with both shoes.

Longwing 11E

I originally tried the 11D and when I first tried it on could immediately tell that same pressure on the top of my foot was there, it was very uncomfortable right away. The 11E alleviated that pressure and feels fine, but unfortunately they just feel big. I feel awkward walking in them, like I'm a kid clomping around in my Dad's shoes. They aren't coming off my feet or anything but I can't walk with confidence like I do in my AE's. Maybe it's just because they are so heavy? I don't know.

Then again I also read that a lot of people wear their brannock size in AEs, so maybe me sizing a full size down is indicative of the fact that I have weird feet, and maybe Grant Stone just won't work for me. Which would be a shame because I love the quality, price, and silhouettes of GS, was really hoping to make them my primary shoe brand.

Any thoughts or experience you can share is greatly appreciated.

Update on the above. A lot of you were very helpful in your responses, so I think I owe the Styleforum Grant Stone thread an explanation (TLDR: I didn't actually know my Brannock size)

I swear I'd measured myself on a brannock years ago, which is how I came up with my 11.5D/E size. Well I remeasured myself, and carefully followed the instructions, and came up with the following when wearing thin Sid Mashburn wool socks:

Left: 10.5E/D
Left Ball: 11D

Right: 10.5E/D
Right Ball - 10.5E/D

Which fairly firmly puts my actual brannock, TTS, at 10.5E. So it now makes perfect sense why an AE 65 Last fits perfectly at 10.5E, and all my futzing around with Grant Stone at that size or higher created all kinds of weird fit issues.

So I ordered both a Grant Stone Oxford and a Grant Stone Longwing in 10E, half size down from my (actual) brannock, per Grant Stone's instructions. Now when I first put them on they felt fairly tight width-wise, but within a remarkably short amount of time they've fit to my foot and are now incredibly comfortable. No more pressure on top of the foot, no more "clomping around" feeling when walking (which I realize now was because the shoe was too large). It just fits perfectly, and I'm crazy about my new shoes.

So thank you again to all who tried to help me, and apologies for bringing you all bad information about my sizing.

And now that I'm a GS fan, I'm hoping to see the Oxford in different colors, preferably crimson or some other dark brown!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Update on the above. A lot of you were very helpful in your responses, so I think I owe the Styleforum Grant Stone thread an explanation (TLDR: I didn't actually know my Brannock size)

I swear I'd measured myself on a brannock years ago, which is how I came up with my 11.5D/E size. Well I remeasured myself, and carefully followed the instructions, and came up with the following when wearing thin Sid Mashburn wool socks:

Left: 10.5E/D
Left Ball: 11D

Right: 10.5E/D
Right Ball - 10.5E/D

Which fairly firmly puts my actual brannock, TTS, at 10.5E. So it now makes perfect sense why an AE 65 Last fits perfectly at 10.5E, and all my futzing around with Grant Stone at that size or higher created all kinds of weird fit issues.

So I ordered both a Grant Stone Oxford and a Grant Stone Longwing in 10E, half size down from my (actual) brannock, per Grant Stone's instructions. Now when I first put them on they felt fairly tight width-wise, but within a remarkably short amount of time they've fit to my foot and are now incredibly comfortable. No more pressure on top of the foot, no more "clomping around" feeling when walking (which I realize now was because the shoe was too large). It just fits perfectly, and I'm crazy about my new shoes.

So thank you again to all who tried to help me, and apologies for bringing you all bad information about my sizing.

And now that I'm a GS fan, I'm hoping to see the Oxford in different colors, preferably crimson or some other dark brown!
Sometimes trial and error are necessary to nail down sizing, particularly when one can't walk into a store and try things on. Glad you have figured out your GS sizing! Now post some pix of those puppies :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads