• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turns31

Reaction score
@GrantStone Can we get a top down shot of the Alexander next to a Leo last boot? Trying to see how the fit would be different.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Alexander is a like the Leo but with a narrower heel. I'm sure @audog or some others could easily take a shot like that.

BrandonF

Reaction score

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a big fan of Saphir Renovateur for suede and nubuck. It really softens the suede. After that, I follow up with Saphir Invulner on my suede shoes--no silicon

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@GrantStone Can we get a top down shot of the Alexander next to a Leo last boot? Trying to see how the fit would be different.

I don't have one readily available but this would not be a good indicator of fit but possibly misleading. Width and length wise, they are very similar and would not call for going up or down half a size. The biggest factor is the instep which can't be compared directly since this is not a tie shoe. Only if you have a very high instep would we suggest going up half a size but this has been very rare.

Same size instep as well?

The penny had a medium instep. If you have a very low instep you can go down half a size from your leo last size and up half a size for a very high arch. Less than 10% of our customers need to adjust their size for the instep.

Mr.Chest

Reaction score
Man. I was really considering picking up the shell pre order but then I remembered I have a pair of cognac bluchers which would certainly see some overlap here. Hmmm. Will probably hold off although this is a great price for Horween

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Here is a photo of a 10.5D Alexander next to a 10.5D Leo.

The loafer (alexander) should be pulled back about a quarter of an inch. It's always best to imagine it without the welt since they can be misleading. The flat welt is cropped much closer to the shoe in comparison to the split reverse welt on the derby.

DSC_0285.png

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here is a photo of a 10.5D Alexander next to a 10.5D Leo.

The loafer (alexander) should be pulled back about a quarter of an inch. It's always best to imagine it without the welt since they can be misleading. The flat welt is cropped much closer to the shoe in comparison to the split reverse welt on the derby.

View attachment 1325491
Better than any photo I could post!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't have one readily available but this would not be a good indicator of fit but possibly misleading. Width and length wise, they are very similar and would not call for going up or down half a size. The biggest factor is the instep which can't be compared directly since this is not a tie shoe. Only if you have a very high instep would we suggest going up half a size but this has been very rare.

The penny had a medium instep. If you have a very low instep you can go down half a size from your leo last size and up half a size for a very high arch. Less than 10% of our customers need to adjust their size for the instep.
Totally agree that fit can't be determined from a photo! Instep is the one thing I noticed right away, both very comfortable to my feet, and same size in both, but I "feel" the loafer a bit more, I have no idea if this makes any sense at all, but my feet can tell.

alset_rl

Reaction score
@GrantStone I am curious is there a particular reason why you chose reverse split welt on most (if not all) boots ? Is this somehow better than the regular welt pattern used by other brands ? I am guessing better water proofing may be one reason (but not 100% sure since I see this on boots with leather soles as well). Would like to understand the benefit of one over the other and the reasoning behind this.

Darkishhaddock

Reaction score
Love the Edward boot. it’s dressy and understated elegance will fly under the radar at most offices beautifully. Looking forward to picking one up in chromexcel since I never got used to the stiffness of shell for daily wear. It will also look wonderful as a 6 eyelet chukka with a more robust sole like commando.

Darkishhaddock

Reaction score
Totally agree that fit can't be determined from a photo! Instep is the one thing I noticed right away, both very comfortable to my feet, and same size in both, but I "feel" the loafer a bit more, I have no idea if this makes any sense at all, but my feet can tell.
I’ve had the same issue with my traveler. Same size as my Leo but Higher instep on my right foot means I end up hurting on the forefoot while my left foot feels fine. I may have to try one of those stretchers.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve had the same issue with my traveler. Same size as my Leo but Higher instep on my right foot means I end up hurting on the forefoot while my left foot feels fine. I may have to try one of those stretchers.

Since I own one Diesel and two Travelers I guess I can give my own personal datapoint on the two lasts if this helps anyone out.

I went from brannock 7.5C (both feet) to a 6.5D on both the Diesel and the Traveler. I have a very high instep on my right foot and a moderate instep on my left, but otherwise my feet are fairly low overall volume. The outcomes were as follows:

1. On the Diesel (cxl) - out of the box the instep felt a little snug but the boots felt overall pretty good, sort of like a HM but with thicker, sturdier leather and noticeably less padding to take up space. Definitely not at all what I expected, but after like 10+ wears, the boots stretched out a TON to the point where both boots now feel a bit on the loose side. I own 4 pairs of the HMs and I would say the Diesel is now equally as loose/roomy as those, including at the instep of my right boot which was far tighter out of the box. I don't know what this is exactly, but the fact that the heelcups are so roomy and the leather heel guards are so rigid that the right boot's heel guard continues to kill me whenever I wear the boots and my right heel makes a lot of contact with it, such as when driving and when stuck in a traffic jam. Makes for an unbearable pain and probably the primary reason why I haven't plunged into additional pairs of the boots at this time.

2. I have struggled with AE's shorter loafer lasts for YEARS. Typically, as a C-width person, a 7D doesn't feel right and a 7.5D doesn't feel right. It's a compromise, and a guessing game - maybe poron or some other excess padding pushes me into the 7.5D. Maybe the shoes just run very large and the 7D works. I never know and it's always a surprise. The Traveler, like AE's Patriot or Alden's LHS, fits longer than a handsewn but shorter than a typical welt. Out of the box, I found the instep MUCH tighter, the heel MUCH tighter, the width and volume mostly on par, and the length shorter. Not much shorter, but noticeably shorter. Again, after many wears (on my first pair, the crimson), the instep fit is MUCH more loose, but still tighter than the Diesel. Heelcups also much looser. Overall they fit pretty great with the small exception that dropping to the 6.5 puts me right on the hairy edge of them fitting too short. I literally have just enough room - going to a 7D I bet I'd be walking out of them. But I just wish they were a tiny drop longer, then they'd be perfect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads