• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried the loafers in my usual GS size and they were much too small. Will be a nice option for those who can try on in-store at J Crew however. I considered the cap toe bluchers but they just look so blobby. I would be surprised if any of their stores carry the Grant Stone models, I assume they just drop-ship from the website.

Yeah, the cap toe's remind me of WWII bombs:

It’s worth noting that just because something is made in the same factory doesn’t mean that it’s the same quality. The workmanship might be as good, but the quality control may not be.

One of the biggest things I like about GS is the selection of the leather. Just because leather is Horween doesn’t mean it’s a good batch. GS seems to make sure they select good leather to purchase. They also have good quality control.

I have a lot of experience managing a factory in China, and my take is that they will build as good of a product as is demanded. In our business, we have to constantly monitor that corners aren’t being cut and we hold them to a high standard, thus we get good production. But if we didn’t do that, the same people might make a substandard product.

You are absolutely correct. GS's quality control is second to none. I wouldn't expect the same level of QA from the J. Crew shoes.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As @audog mentioned above, we usually have a sale around black friday and every other year we have had a smaller promotion in the spring. This year, it will most likely just be black friday.

For the foreseeable future, we will offer shell in pre orders. We do have a Ottawa boot in a lighter shell available in some sizes in the boot collection. In the next couple weeks, there will be a new shell pre order for two different patterns.

We have something in the works but just for a calf article on the loafers and dress shoes.
Will the shell pre orders be a deposit like the first time or pay in full like last time?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the cap toe's remind me of WWII bombs

You are absolutely correct. GS's quality control is second to none. I wouldn't expect the same level of QA from the J. Crew shoes.

Or allen edmonds

nmh20

Reaction score
I’ve struggled a little bit with GS sizing. I’m a 9.5EEE on most AE’s (sometimes 10EE or 10EEE works better). In the Leo Last I’ve tried 10E which was way too big. I tried 9.5E in the Ottawa, it was pretty tight across the top of my foot and felt a bit narrow with thick socks. The 9.5EEE I had a lot of heel slip. I almost sold them as well, but I read others on here reporting that the heel slip improves as you break them in. After 5 or so wears, it’s better, but still feels a little big.

I think 9EEE is probably my best size, but part of me wants to give the 9.5E another shot. I only wore the Ottawa’s twice before selling them and I’m wondering if the fit would have improved a lot with another couple wears.

The only thing crazier than having more Goodyear welted shoes than you have trips around the sun is spending upwards of $1200 just trying to figure out your size ha!

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Will the shell pre orders be a deposit like the first time or pay in full like last time?

It will be a full payment like last time. For us this makes it much easier not only technically but not having to chase down the balance.

I’ve struggled a little bit with GS sizing. I’m a 9.5EEE on most AE’s (sometimes 10EE or 10EEE works better). In the Leo Last I’ve tried 10E which was way too big. I tried 9.5E in the Ottawa, it was pretty tight across the top of my foot and felt a bit narrow with thick socks. The 9.5EEE I had a lot of heel slip. I almost sold them as well, but I read others on here reporting that the heel slip improves as you break them in. After 5 or so wears, it’s better, but still feels a little big.

I think 9EEE is probably my best size, but part of me wants to give the 9.5E another shot. I only wore the Ottawa’s twice before selling them and I’m wondering if the fit would have improved a lot with another couple wears.

The only thing crazier than having more Goodyear welted shoes than you have trips around the sun is spending upwards of $1200 just trying to figure out your size ha!

After reading your comments above I would definitely lean towards a 9EEE instead of the 9.5E. While it could become slightly less snug with wear, if you ever travel or walk a lot in warmer weather they might feel uncomfortably snug again.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have had the Sand Suede Ottawa's on all day and I really like these boots. For the first time in a long time, people (4 women, 1 male co-worker, and the janitorial staff (2 guys) have all commented on my footwear. Janitor guy said "Man, I like your shoes a lot" Made me feel good. The women in the office had comments like, "you always have such nice shoes" to " I wish my husband would wear something like that".
Kudus to Grant Stone for making such a great pair of boots!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the new, although perhaps not finished, new web site. In case anyone is interested, or honestly even if they are not interested. Seems like a few issues need to be resolved, but appearance is pretty good.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I like the new, although perhaps not finished, new web site. In case anyone is interested, or honestly even if they are not interested. Seems like a few issues need to be resolved, but appearance is pretty good.

Thanks, it’s a work in progress. We have a couple of the pages will be revamped but they may not be ready for another week or two. The size associate on the product pages are being worked on as well so if anyone has questions about sizing it would probably be best to contact us here or by email instead for the time being.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have had the Sand Suede Ottawa's on all day and I really like these boots. For the first time in a long time, people (4 women, 1 male co-worker, and the janitorial staff (2 guys) have all commented on my footwear. Janitor guy said "Man, I like your shoes a lot" Made me feel good. The women in the office had comments like, "you always have such nice shoes" to " I wish my husband would wear something like that".
Kudus to Grant Stone for making such a great pair of boots!

I realize that those may be a special makeup for Audog, the Mayor of Grant Stone. Such a gesture is well deserved. However, if they ever were to be offered to the public... I'd hit the buy button so fast it'd break my keyboard, the desk, and the floor underneath. White suede bucks, spectators, etc. are so much fun. Everyone loves them and they really brighten the day.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi... can someone help me with the sizing of the Diesel Boot in the Leo last ...
My sizes are:
Trickers Stow Boot (4497s Last): UK - 10
Alden Indy Boot (True Balance Last): US - 10.5
Should I go for 10.5E or 11D

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I realize that those may be a special makeup for Audog, the Mayor of Grant Stone. Such a gesture is well deserved. However, if they ever were to be offered to the public... I'd hit the buy button so fast it'd break my keyboard, the desk, and the floor underneath. White suede bucks, spectators, etc. are so much fun. Everyone loves them and they really brighten the day.
I think there are many more who favor white/sand/ light color suede shoes and boots. Alden has had a limited (one retailer I believe) "milkshake" suede boot for a while, and I toyed with getting it at one time. But once GS said that the Ottawas might be possible, at some point in the future, I gave up chasing the Aldens, the GS product is just that good and I was willing to wait. I agree that quite a few would hit the buy button if part of the regular lineup (or even a limited release like the blue suede Ottawa).

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi... can someone help me with the sizing of the Diesel Boot in the Leo last ...
My sizes are:
Trickers Stow Boot (4497s Last): UK - 10
Alden Indy Boot (True Balance Last): US - 10.5
Should I go for 10.5E or 11D
I can only speak for my own feet, but I wear same size as Alden TB last in the Grant Stone Leo last.

schweezly

Reaction score
Looks like some honey shell Ottawa’s are on the site and it’s taking me a lot not to jump on them. It looks like they are in stock, unless it’s a glitch with the new site

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the cap toe's remind me of WWII bombs:
View attachment 1322382

View attachment 1322383

I would very much love a Grant Stone cap toe blucher but with a more refined shape similar to Alden's Aberdeen. GS's Oliver last looks nice too.

Also, hello all. New to the forum. I am fairly new to GYW shoes and have quickly become a fan of Grant Stone. I noticed that GS seems to have a nice presence on this forum so I figured I would join to better keep up with upcoming product info.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads