• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turns31

Reaction score
I’ve had good success applying a burgundy cream polish to the Crimson CXL to bring out more of the red hues. Although I’m a suck for oxblood.

Speaking of which @GrantStone any plans for a true oxblood color?
I did that to those right when I got them with some cheap shoe cream from Amazon. Looked great for a couple days but faded.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did that to those right when I got them with some cheap shoe cream from Amazon. Looked great for a couple days but faded.
Cheap shoe cream is just that.....cheap shoe cream. I've had good luck with Saphir stuff and Alden Boot cream. Of course, Venetian Boot cream is great as well, and not overly expensive.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm careful about what I put on my CXL boots, as most cream polishes have waxes in them which is not recommended. I did sneak a little Renovateur on the toes and heel counters of my Diesels, but otherwise I use the Greasy Leather Cream from Saphir in neutral. They make dyed variants also. When that is depleted I'll probably order VSC, as it's probably just as good and cheaper. I'm not saying it's the end of the world to put shoe cream on CXL, it's just not ideal. Over time I think it's going to stifle the leather and cover up the natural patina.

I have to say, those are about the most masculine tassel loafers I have seen. Brown or tan would be even more so. Never did like the style of tassel loafers much, as they somehow seem both stuffy and wimpy. Actually, I don't care for most loafers (though monk straps could be classified as loafers, but I digress...). You guys certainly know your craft and I look forward to all the new models with interest.

And wow, those ivory suede Ottowas are spectacular. Niche, but spectacular.

BrandonF

Reaction score
Cheap shoe cream is just that.....cheap shoe cream. I've had good luck with Saphir stuff and Alden Boot cream. Of course, Venetian Boot cream is great as well, and not overly expensive.

I used some leftover AE burgundy cream and it worked well. The color has stayed for at least a month or so and hasnt faded.

From what I understand, the issue with putting wax on CXL is that it changes the feel and patina of the leather. On the LWBs I find that less of an issue. I doubt it’s going to hurt the leather.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
maybe it's been covered already but two questions

1) Does GS have sales, and if so, when?
2) Does GS plan on introducing shell?

@GrantStone

As @audog mentioned above, we usually have a sale around black friday and every other year we have had a smaller promotion in the spring. This year, it will most likely just be black friday.

For the foreseeable future, we will offer shell in pre orders. We do have a Ottawa boot in a lighter shell available in some sizes in the boot collection. In the next couple weeks, there will be a new shell pre order for two different patterns.

I’ve had good success applying a burgundy cream polish to the Crimson CXL to bring out more of the red hues. Although I’m a suck for oxblood.

Speaking of which @GrantStone any plans for a true oxblood color?

We have something in the works but just for a calf article on the loafers and dress shoes.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm careful about what I put on my CXL boots, as most cream polishes have waxes in them which is not recommended. I did sneak a little Renovateur on the toes and heel counters of my Diesels, but otherwise I use the Greasy Leather Cream from Saphir in neutral. They make dyed variants also. When that is depleted I'll probably order VSC, as it's probably just as good and cheaper. I'm not saying it's the end of the world to put shoe cream on CXL, it's just not ideal. Over time I think it's going to stifle the leather and cover up the natural patina.

I have to say, those are about the most masculine tassel loafers I have seen. Brown or tan would be even more so. Never did like the style of tassel loafers much, as they somehow seem both stuffy and wimpy. Actually, I don't care for most loafers (though monk straps could be classified as loafers, but I digress...). You guys certainly know your craft and I look forward to all the new models with interest.

The Greasy Leather Cream from Saphir was what I was referring to in my previous post, it does work well and doesn't alter the color of the footwear at all, just conditions CXL. Venetian Shoe Balm seems to do the same thing, is a lot less expensive and made in Chicago (near Horween). Horween has recommended Venetian in the past. Now, it doesn't smell as nice (to me) as the Saphir Greasy cream, but it's good stuff. CXL doesn't need a lot of product, or product very often. Everyone here probably owns a couple of good brushes, and CXL responds well to brushing.......Now for the plug for about the best brush I have found......and it's from......Grant Stone!!!! Go figure. Everyone should get a couple! Early morning rambling over, time for coffee.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They are a niche product for sure, the color may not be to everyone's liking on a boot. I have always had a love for lighter color boots, and suede boots. (The wife thinks I'm a bit nuts in this regard) So a sand or Ivory suede boot seemed like a good fit in the rotation. Will be wearing them today for a trip to the office for the "consulting" gig.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to be testing some DM Wonder Balsam on my CXL, I have used it to good effect on a number of "greasy" leathers in the past. I even asked DM directly and they said it would be fine although I probably should have asked Horween instead.

@GrantStone When will the Navy Suede Ottawa Pre-order be going up?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sand Suede Ottawa's first wearing today
IMG_0649.jpeg

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J. Crew just dropped a bunch of new "Ludlow" shoes that are clearly made in the same factory as G Stone. The tell for me is the font on the leather insole.

Attachments

• AH880_EF1854_d2.jpg
    AH880_EF1854_d2.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 35

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are a niche product for sure, the color may not be to everyone's liking on a boot. I have always had a love for lighter color boots, and suede boots. (The wife thinks I'm a bit nuts in this regard) So a sand or Ivory suede boot seemed like a good fit in the rotation. Will be wearing them today for a trip to the office for the "consulting" gig.
You could also "consult" them on buying better footwear. :D I wonder how these would look with a slightly darker welt. Time will tell!

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J. Crew just dropped a bunch of new "Ludlow" shoes that are clearly made in the same factory as G Stone. The tell for me is the font on the leather insole.

View attachment 1322358
View attachment 1322359
View attachment 1322360
View attachment 1322363

I tried the loafers in my usual GS size and they were much too small. Will be a nice option for those who can try on in-store at J Crew however. I considered the cap toe bluchers but they just look so blobby. I would be surprised if any of their stores carry the Grant Stone models, I assume they just drop-ship from the website.

BrandonF

Reaction score

View attachment 1322358
View attachment 1322359
View attachment 1322360
View attachment 1322363

It’s worth noting that just because something is made in the same factory doesn’t mean that it’s the same quality. The workmanship might be as good, but the quality control may not be.

One of the biggest things I like about GS is the selection of the leather. Just because leather is Horween doesn’t mean it’s a good batch. GS seems to make sure they select good leather to purchase. They also have good quality control.

I have a lot of experience managing a factory in China, and my take is that they will build as good of a product as is demanded. In our business, we have to constantly monitor that corners aren’t being cut and we hold them to a high standard, thus we get good production. But if we didn’t do that, the same people might make a substandard product.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads