• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BrandonF

Reaction score
Any plans for a more rugged leather? Boot I have a pair of Redwings in their copper rough and tough that Id love to replace with GS. Sometimes you just need a boot you can beat up and not worry. Would especially be good with a commando or even a wedge sole.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any plans for a more rugged leather? Boot I have a pair of Redwings in their copper rough and tough that Id love to replace with GS. Sometimes you just need a boot you can beat up and not worry. Would especially be good with a commando or even a wedge sole.
Iron Rangers, the boot you can beat the sh*t out of and not care...

PenguinGuy4

Reaction score
There will be some more cap toe boots coming this year but can’t promise that one.

We are developing one now! Its going to be little different than most of the current tassels. We are trying to make one that fits more full but can still be worn with a suit. Its pretty tough to do though when the main attraction to the tassel is the sharper last.

This should be ready around fall time.
That’s exciting! Sounds like what I’m searching for. I look forward to hearing more details. You guys make wonderful shoes and boots so I’m sure the tassels won’t be any different :)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That’s exciting! Sounds like what I’m searching for. I look forward to hearing more details. You guys make wonderful shoes and boots so I’m sure the tassels won’t be any different :)
I think Tassel loafers will be a great addition, I don't need/wear tassel loafers any more, but if anyone could get me to purchase more, it will be GS ") A new last might be fun as well...

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Iron Rangers, the boot you can beat the sh*t out of and not care...

We are working on a boot now that is more work oriented than the diesel and would most likely be on a lug and or wedge. I’m hoping to have this ready by late ‘20.

Appreciate it. The Tassel pattern is one of my favorites. Really looking forward to adding it.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This pair is definitely one of my workhorses. My most worn of the GS family.
IMG_20200110_1130416.jpg
IMG_20200113_0529284.jpg

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm especially interested in seeing the new "rugged" boot, though that already seems to be a crowded market segment. Tons of good examples already exist from Thursday Boot to Viberg, and of course Red Wing, etc.

Regarding lug sole vs. wedge sole, it seems that lug soles are more popular. I only have one wedge-soled shoe but it's one of my favorites. I plan on resoling some of my heritage-style work boots with Vibram Christy's when the time comes, as I think they tend to be more comfortable (albeit less durable).

As far as a true work boot goes, my profession doesn't really call for it now, but if it ever did I would likely go with Nick's Boots.

Personally I have zero interest in a tassel-loafer as they look very dated to me, and I'm a young guy. But I'll be interested to watch the development of a GS version nonetheless.

But, new cap toe boot leathers are an exciting development!

BrandonF

Reaction score
I'm especially interested in seeing the new "rugged" boot, though that already seems to be a crowded market segment. Tons of good examples already exist from Thursday Boot to Viberg, and of course Red Wing, etc.

Regarding lug sole vs. wedge sole, it seems that lug soles are more popular. I only have one wedge-soled shoe but it's one of my favorites. I plan on resoling some of my heritage-style work boots with Vibram Christy's when the time comes, as I think they tend to be more comfortable (albeit less durable).

As far as a true work boot goes, my profession doesn't really call for it now, but if it ever did I would likely go with Nick's Boots.

Personally I have zero interest in a tassel-loafer as they look very dated to me, and I'm a young guy. But I'll be interested to watch the development of a GS version nonetheless.

But, new cap toe boot leathers are an exciting development!

Compared to GS, Thursday’s are garbage. I have a pair. Look nice, but the leather is thin, creases easily, and scuffs just looking at it (at least the Thursday Chrome, not sure about the rugged leathers). And my “dainite” soles are wearing already after 8 months of light wear.

Vibergs are priced more in line with Alden, no? I absolutely think there’s room in the market for a sub $400 boot to compete with Red Wing.

My GS boots are so much better than my Red Wings. The Dune CXL is rugged, but I still get nervous wearing them roughly. I wore mine in NC all weekend, and they’ll need some tlc after a couple of huge downpours I got caught in.

Turns31

Reaction score
Compared to GS, Thursday’s are garbage. I have a pair. Look nice, but the leather is thin, creases easily, and scuffs just looking at it (at least the Thursday Chrome, not sure about the rugged leathers). And my “dainite” soles are wearing already after 8 months of light wear.

Vibergs are priced more in line with Alden, no? I absolutely think there’s room in the market for a sub $400 boot to compete with Red Wing.

My GS boots are so much better than my Red Wings. The Dune CXL is rugged, but I still get nervous wearing them roughly. I wore mine in NC all weekend, and they’ll need some tlc after a couple of huge downpours I got caught in.
IMO GS needs to find their own "Oro" leather. Something that's durable and rugged yet patinas and creases beautifully. A Diesel boot with that unique leather and a Commando sole would be awesome.

andrewro

Reaction score
I recently bought some 8" steel toe Thorogoods for my true work boots. 360 welt, made in USA, I like the hardware too. They do not have an all leather sole build-up but they could be rebuilt in a few years with a more traditional make-up. Role Club rebuild maybe? One can dream.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed on all points.

I am wearing some Thursday Boots today and they're servicable for the price and look good, but aren't that comfortable. I was using them along with Viberg as a general price-range of acceptable options in the casual/workboot crossover category. Viberg is what I would consider a representative high end of this category.

Comparing the "Dainite-like" soles of the Grant Stone's to the Thursday Boots, they are more comfortable and have smaller round nubs. I think they are softer and grippier also. Grant Stone also cuts a much wider heel block.

As an aside, it would be interesting to compare all of the knockoff Dainite outsoles side by side to the real thing. I have experience with four variations myself.

I look at GS as a direct competitor to Alden in terms of styling and build quality. Pricing is obviously a key difference in Grant Stone's favor.

BrandonF

Reaction score
Thursday’s are definitely better than anything else sub 200. They were my first pair of GYW shoes and were a good stepping stone. But now I’d much prefer to pay $150 more for GS, since they’re more than twice as good and will last much longer. And are much more comfortable.

I’ve been wearing these Dune Diesels for the fourth day in a row (normally don’t do this, but traveling “light”) and my feet feel great. These are the most comfortable boots I’ve ever worn.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thursday’s are definitely better than anything else sub 200. They were my first pair of GYW shoes and were a good stepping stone. But now I’d much prefer to pay $150 more for GS, since they’re more than twice as good and will last much longer. And are much more comfortable.

I’ve been wearing these Dune Diesels for the fourth day in a row (normally don’t do this, but traveling “light”) and my feet feel great. These are the most comfortable boots I’ve ever worn.

I wish my experience was the same as yours and manowar's in terms of comfort. My Thursday boots are way more comfortable that my GS shoes (yes, I know I'm comparing boots and shoes, but I'd expect shoes to be more comfortable). Clearly the build quality on the GS is better, and I know they'll last longer, but the last must not be for me because I would give them a 4/10 on comfort (i.e., just barely not uncomfortable).

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree that there's no real comparison between GS and Thursday; the quality of GS footwear is head and shoulders above that of any Thursday I've seen (I returned the first 3 pair of Thursday boots I tried for various issues, and I never got a 4th).
Vibergs are priced well above Alden for comparable boots (+$75 for Suede; +$100 for CXL; +$200 or more for shell). There's definitely room for a sub $400 boot to compete with Red Wing, and GS seems well positioned to provide it.
I don't own any Red Wings, but I can say that the quality of my GS Diesels in CXL is as good as or better than my AE Higgins Mills, which cost me over $100 more. And I'll go as far as to say that GS workmanship compares pretty favorably to Viberg and Alden, especially considering the price differential. They definitely punch way above their weight class.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads