• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cooked at a “holiday breakfast” at work. I swear. I don’t even like scrambled eggs in a big metal basin. So worse than the stain, it’s not even from my food!!!
That makes it worse. I'd be tempted to pick up the eggs, hand them to the person who dropped them and say "Oh, you dropped these" :)

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's proof against grease, especially hot grease.

I just put one sprayed coat on and it seems to help against water-splashes, etc.

TheWolf

Reaction score
There is the rub.
I didn’t even see them until about 10 min after I was done eating. Got bug eyes and slack jawed but the damage was done. Now that stain sticks out like a sore thumb. Tincture of time I think. As they get other patina it will be less noticeable. Stinks because those are by two favorites (burbon suede Ottawa and British tan cap toes)

TheWolf

Reaction score
I don't think it's proof against grease, especially hot grease.

I just put one sprayed coat on and it seems to help against water-splashes, etc.
Seems reasonable. I was actually pretty happy with the result I got on the suede. I don’t notice it at all. Those suede erasers are pretty interesting.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is the rub.
I didn’t even see them until about 10 min after I was done eating. Got bug eyes and slack jawed but the damage was done. Now that stain sticks out like a sore thumb. Tincture of time I think. As they get other patina it will be less noticeable. Stinks because those are by two favorites (burbon suede Ottawa and British tan cap toes)
Try the Saphir suede shampoo, and really work that area. Be careful not to broaden the patch as you brush, but I'd guess you'll at least diminish it. It feels incredibly strange to be scrubbing soapy water into your shoes, but the stuff works well.

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is the rub.
Not sure how this will work on suede, but I can can testify that cornstarch works wonders on smooth leather and ties.
A couple years ago, I dropped a largish dollop of oily cupcake icing on some AE NST’s. I didn’t notice it right away, so the grease spot that remained when I removed the icing was large and heartbreaking.
Multiple applications of cornstarch, with brushing to remove the starch between applications, removed the stain in its entirety. Amazing.
I have had the same result on an ugly salad dressing spot on a Drake tie, so it works with smooth fabrics, too.
Cornstarch will be harder to brush out of the nap of the suede. Has anyone tried this method on suede?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not sure how this will on suede, but I can can testify that cornstarch works wonders on smooth leather and ties.
A couple years ago, I dropped a largish dollop of oily cupcake icing on some AE NST’s. I didn’t notice it right away, so the grease spot that remained when I removed the icing was large and heartbreaking.
Multiple applications of cornstarch, with brushing to remove the starch between applications removed the stain in its entirety. Amazing.
I have had the same result on an ugly salad dressing spot on a Drake tie, so it works with smooth fabrics, too.
Cornstarch will be harder to brush out of the nap of the suede. As anyone tried this method on suede?
Have tried this on suede, but the material I got on the suede boots was a fuel oil for a citronella anti mosquito thing. Spot NEVER came out and I finally took neatsfoot oil and darkened the entire pair of boots to match the stain spot. Turned a nice pair of boots into something that looked and felt like reverse chamois, eventually donated them to a "boot experiment" being conducted by a member of SF. Cornstarch does work fine on smooth leather, and have used it with success as you did.

TheWolf

Reaction score
Not sure how this will work on suede, but I can can testify that cornstarch works wonders on smooth leather and ties.
Multiple applications of cornstarch, with brushing to remove the starch between applications, removed the stain in its entirety. Amazing.
Cornstarch will be harder to brush out of the nap of the suede. Has anyone tried this method on suede?
I actually did that. Let it sit for a week actually. Reapplied once. Helped for sure but still pretty prominent. I’m slowly coming to terms with it. They are shoes after-all.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are shoes after-all.
That, along with some deep-breathing exercises and some googling on anger management techniques, helped me deal with the exploding Sprite that got all over my Ravello NSTs a while back when somebody decided to be a goofball. Still lots of tiny spots on them...

(one of these days I'm just to just brush them until my arms fall off, but I have a giant list of "one of these days" things...)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Grant Stone "gateway drug" for me. Dune Diesel boots, waiting for a snow storm to arrive later today and overnight, not wearing these guys out in the snow - leather soles, snow and me don't mix well ?
IMG_0218.jpeg
IMG_0220.jpeg

BrandonF

Reaction score
I wore mine in the snow yesterday, but mine are newer and have the rubber sole. Is the leather sole that good? I’ve never had leather soled boots before.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wore mine in the snow yesterday, but mine are newer and have the rubber sole. Is the leather sole that good? I’ve never had leather soled boots before.
I would have no reservation wearing my rubber sole'd GS in the snow but I love the GS leather sole, and will buy footwear with it if I can get it. Slippery on snow/ice or when wet on tile or smooth concrete, but that is the nature of a leather sole (at least for me). It's hard to describe a good leather sole if one hasn't experienced it, but they are once flexible and firm and cushy. GS boots with the rubber sole is a good rubber sole. Looks nice, not uncomfortable like some of the rubber soles on the competition (to my feet and I'm not alone in my dislike of Dainite). While I'm on this soapbox, I'd like to see GS put a "commando" type sole on some boots.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got an email from eBay about these:
If anyone is interested, I am not the seller, but it's a pretty good price for an awesome boot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads