• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those were my thoughts as well, going from 12E to 11.5D sounds risky. The logic behind his recommendation is that because my feet are rather narrow I should stick to D width, and he thinks 11.5 D could fit well because of the fuller toe box of the Leo last. Anyways, I'll try the Hok last on to see how it fits and I'll order accordingly I guess.

Yeah I've only heard good things about Grant Stone, I usually wouldn't purchase them because they're a bit over my budget, but I got a nice bonus and wanted to treat myself. I just want don't want to do back and forth shipping

I think trying the Hok Is key.

I have no experience with Meermin but I've read a ton about the Hok compared to Alden's Barrie being narrower but higher cone. I would point out the following -

1. The pure UK sizing would mean 11 UK = 12. The biggest issue is half size down vs TTS vs other, etc, but the Hok plus 1 should be damn close.

2. The Hok, like most European lasts, is going to have a higher cone than an American last. That means if you have a low instep, you will necessarily have more negative vertical space than in the Leo (or Barrie) which are way more flat. For a high instep person, upping the width may compensate for the flatness but for a low instep with a narrow width, that may be totally unnecessary.

3. If memory serves Meermin E is like a D anyway.

I would do the Hok minus 1, D width. One word of caution though - I own 9 pairs of GS now. My foot is long, narrow & high-instep. I'm going from 7.5C to 6.5D on the Leo - the width increase to compensate for the flatness, but otherwise the last runs short & wide. Its a compromise - it may "work" but bear in mind it's far from long/narrow/high cone like European lasts usually use.

Good luck - GS makes some incredible products.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone's tired - Hok plus 1, not minus 1.

GuyLab

Reaction score
I think trying the Hok Is key.

I have no experience with Meermin but I've read a ton about the Hok compared to Alden's Barrie being narrower but higher cone. I would point out the following -

1. The pure UK sizing would mean 11 UK = 12. The biggest issue is half size down vs TTS vs other, etc, but the Hok plus 1 should be damn close.

2. The Hok, like most European lasts, is going to have a higher cone than an American last. That means if you have a low instep, you will necessarily have more negative vertical space than in the Leo (or Barrie) which are way more flat. For a high instep person, upping the width may compensate for the flatness but for a low instep with a narrow width, that may be totally unnecessary.

3. If memory serves Meermin E is like a D anyway.

I would do the Hok minus 1, D width. One word of caution though - I own 9 pairs of GS now. My foot is long, narrow & high-instep. I'm going from 7.5C to 6.5D on the Leo - the width increase to compensate for the flatness, but otherwise the last runs short & wide. Its a compromise - it may "work" but bear in mind it's far from long/narrow/high cone like European lasts usually use.

Good luck - GS makes some incredible products.
Thanks for the advice, I had no idea European lasts had a higher cone. That's really helpful

jimrude

Reaction score
Thinking about ordering a pair of the cognac longwing pebble grain. They seem to have a bit of an orangeish tone. What color(s) trousers would pair well with these?

So, these are MUCH orange-r than I thought they’d be. Even more so than AE walnut.

Since they were final sale, I’m looking for advice and recommendations on using polish to make them “browner”.

Will it work? On pebble grain?
Will it look good?

TIA!

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, these are MUCH orange-r than I thought they’d be. Even more so than AE walnut.

Since they were final sale, I’m looking for advice and recommendations on using polish to make them “browner”.

Will it work? On pebble grain?
Will it look good?

TIA!
Embrace the orange! I seriously like that leather. But if you can, try muting the color by carefully applying some colored cream polish with a small horsehair applicator brush. A cloth will not get into all the nooks and crannies like a brush will. A cream polish will spread more evenly than a thick wax polish.

I would start with a medium to dark brown (though black can also work). In theory, adding some sort of blue color would 'cancel out' the orange and end up a mid brown. I have not tried this sort of thing.

The tendency with brogues is that whatever color you use will build up more rapidly around the pinking and perfing, so lots of light/thin coats will help mitigate this effect. Some actually like the inconsistent look though.

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Little exercise in the brass boots

Attachments

• 4487E84A-9217-426F-9C99-9C8E5E299FF5.jpeg
    4487E84A-9217-426F-9C99-9C8E5E299FF5.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 92

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm offering up these Brass Boots in 9.5E for sale or trade. I'm looking for a 10D as these are just a little too short and too big over the instep.

20220513_101609.jpg

Superdoedoe

Reaction score
You're in luck! We are expecting a restock of the Natural Kangaroo Ottawa boots by the end of the month! Sign up to be notified when your size comes back in stock so you don't miss out!
Are y'all still expecting these?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads