• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Moostyle

Reaction score
It does look very nice. I prefer the darker welts and midsoles, which is why I had wanted to order the cap toe boot in Crimson, and settled for the Diesel. I am not wild over the lighter welt on the Crimson Diesel boots I just ordered. Does anybody know if they'll ever darken naturally? I wish they would have come with the darker welt. I guess I don't care for the very obvious striped heel look, and just the overall contrast with the darker Horween leather. Hmmmm.
Well, at least you can't say you weren't warned as the photos of the natural welt were very clear on the website before you ordered, so it's unlikely they look surprisingly different in person. :D

The crimson cap toes you mention would certainly have suited you better if you wanted a dark surround https://www.grantstoneshoes.com/collections/boots/products/copy-of-cap-toe-boot-crimson-chromexcel

I personally love the natural welt look and am waiting to buy a pair of Burgundy Kudus when they are back in stock. :)

Last edited:

whipcord

Reaction score
Well, at least you can't say you weren't warned as the photos of the natural welt were very clear on the website before you ordered, so it's unlikely they look surprisingly different in person. :D

I personally love the natural welt look and am waiting to buy a pair of Burgundy Kudus when they are back in stock. :)
For sure. And I hope I don't sound like I'm criticizing it. As mentioned, I had wanted the Cap Toe in Crimson but it wasn't available. I then was deciding between this and the Ottowa in Crimson, because I wanted a brown CXL boot. It seems the most versatile with my wardrobe.

Moostyle

Reaction score
For sure. And I hope I don't sound like I'm criticizing it. As mentioned, I had wanted the Cap Toe in Crimson but it wasn't available. I then was deciding between this and the Ottowa in Crimson, because I wanted a brown CXL boot. It seems the most versatile with my wardrobe.
At least you can return it for a refund and then wait or get something else. There is no point keeping a boot you are not in love with, it's just dead money.

whipcord

Reaction score
At least you can return it for a refund and then wait or get something else. There is no point keeping a boot you are not in love with, it's just dead money.
I do think I love them, this is just me getting acquainted with a new friend. I have never owned this brand before, so it's all a learning experience. I take a very cautious approach as I go through these things. I still have not worn or walked in the boots. I tried them on my foot twice.

I want to buy a pair of the Traveler loafers, too, but wasn't sure on sizing so it didn't make sense to order 2 pair at first. Was considering either the Dune or the Loden suede. Another wrinkle is 'do I go down 1/2 size if I will be wearing a thinner sock and sometimes no socks?' Hmmmm.

Moostyle

Reaction score
I do think I love them
Really? Your posts pretty much heavily implied the opposite as you said you prefer and wanted a darker colour welt and now need to see if the natural one grows on you. However, happy to hear it and I hope you get good use out of them!

whipcord

Reaction score
Really? Your posts pretty much heavily implied the opposite as you said you prefer and wanted a darker colour welt and now need to see if the natural one grows on you. However, happy to hear it and I hope you get good use out of them!
Well, I DID say this when I first received them.

The good news: Boots arrived today and they are beautiful. In fact, these are the highest quality boots I've ever purchased. I love them. They are heavy in hand, and though I have not pored over each boot, they appear perfect at first glance.
These pics are what made me want the Cap Toes. I just prefer a more monochromatic boot, I suppose.

Last edited:

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
I will say this: if you’re a HTB > HTT guy like me, the Edward/Cap Toe style can be troublesome because the laces are closer together. If your Diesel lacings nearly close, then your Edwards will close—in my experience.

manowar

Reaction score
@whipcord Hey, nice Diesel boots there. I think if you plan to wear them casually then the contrasting natural welt is superior. It makes a big difference on the look of the boot, and without it, regular folks would consider them more of a dress boot. If you want something dressier, the Edward or cap toe boot is that thing.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@whipcord Hey, nice Diesel boots there. I think if you plan to wear them casually then the contrasting natural welt is superior. It makes a big difference on the look of the boot, and without it, regular folks would consider them more of a dress boot. If you want something dressier, the Edward or cap toe boot is that thing.
I agree. I'd also note that a bit of time softens the contrast a bit.

DawgPound

Reaction score
Navy/Green PTB's.....

Before: View attachment 1739577

After applying Saphir Medaille D'Or in Navy to get the navy back and first wear :

View attachment 1739578 View attachment 1739579 View attachment 1739580

The navy creme came right off at the flex points as the creme is just sitting on top without penetrating in.

These will get a coat or two of Saphir Renovateur and will spend the rest of their life as Navy-ish Blue-ish Emerald-ish Green-ish...wierd-ish !!
Just rubbed my finger over the area and the creme is just coming off easily.
View attachment 1739594 View attachment 1739595
I’ve not tried it, but assuming these are CXL, general consensus on what I’ve read is that pigmented cream polish does not work well and won’t soak in CXL leather. I typically only use VSC or Bick 4 for CXL leather, which is neutral.

I want to buy a pair of the Traveler loafers, too, but wasn't sure on sizing so it didn't make sense to order 2 pair at first. Was considering either the Dune or the Loden suede. Another wrinkle is 'do I go down 1/2 size if I will be wearing a thinner sock and sometimes no socks?' Hmmmm.
I started with my Leo/boot last size and then tried on 2 or 3 sizes of the Alexander/traveler last. I almost went down a size and am very happy I didn’t. Sizing between the Leo and Alexander lasts are the same for me. Some people like their loafers to be really snug…not me. I prefer a little room for comfort. 11.5 E in both for me.

Saleemmd

Reaction score
I’ve not tried it, but assuming these are CXL, general consensus on what I’ve read is that pigmented cream polish does not work well and won’t soak in CXL leather. I typically only use VSC or Bick 4 for CXL leather, which is neutral.

I started with my Leo/boot last size and then tried on 2 or 3 sizes of the Alexander/traveler last. I almost went down a size and am very happy I didn’t. Sizing between the Leo and Alexander lasts are the same for me. Some people like their loafers to be really snug…not me. I prefer a little room for comfort. 11.5 E in both for me.
Same here my diesel boots and loafers are same size 9.5E but one thing if you are buying suede loafers i have a feeling they strech bit more than Cmxl ,also for reference in allen edmonds HM also i wear same size.

shahtirthak

Reaction score
Thanks, these are indeed CXL and I will henceforth use only VSC/Saphir Renovateur/Bick 4.

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

• Loafers

• Boat shoes

• Espadrilles

• Sneakers

• Desert Boots

• Sandals

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members