• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

whipcord

Reaction score
Unfortunately most sneakers aren't great at giving you your Brannock size.
I'm for sure at least 11 1/2 Brannock in length. My foot is at least 11 1/8" long when measured. I grabbed the 11 1/2 Diesel because the website suggested 1/2 size down from sneaker size. I am a 12 all day long in every sneaker. I don't think I've ever worn an 11 1/2 sneaker in my adult life.

By the way, I'd like to thank you for all the information you provide on shoes. I've happened upon a lot of your commentary and pictures as I've been researching fit. It's really difficult ordering shoes online.

Last edited:

basu13

Reaction score
Thank you, because that's kind of how mine seem, whereas with all my size 12 sneakers my toes are very close to the end, within 1/2". I guess the other surprising aspect is the volume. I tried them on with a full cushion Darn Tough sock and they do not feel snug when I step in. That's another reason why I was wondering if a size down would be better. If it was $100 shoe I'd probably just roll with it, but these are a bit more of an investment for me and I want the sizing right.
Comparing the toeroom in sneakers with that in boots would be a mistake, since sneakers are always designed to be that close fitting - boots would typically not be. As for width, the Leo last is designed to be wider at the forefoot but snug at heels. Check with the GS team with pics though , they would be able to tell you if the fit is right .

Kkstpattisday

Reaction score
I'm for sure at least 11 1/2 Brannock in length. My foot is at least 11 1/8" long when measured. I grabbed the 11 1/2 Diesel because the website suggested 1/2 size down from sneaker size. I am a 12 all day long in every sneaker. I don't think I've ever worn an 11 1/2 sneaker in my adult life.

By the way, I'd like to thank you for all the information you provide on shoes. I've happened upon a lot of your commentary and pictures as I've been researching fit. It's really difficult ordering shoes online.
Hey whipcord the shoe is too big so send them back and go down another half size. I am a 9.5d brannock. First got the chukka in 9d. It was bigger by half than any of my other dress shoes. After long talks and photos with Randy(hope he is booted with a good pair of his own creation up there) he suggested I go down a half size further. 8,5d fit great. I have never fit ina 8.5d. In a Leo last they fit perfect. Send them back and go down a whole size instead a half size. It worked for me and I wear my crimson chukkas every other day. The dune diesel, the rugged Edward boot, and the #8 diesel are all in your size right now and I think they could all prove equally as versatile as the crimson. Just my 2cents. Send ‘‘em back dude. Cheers KK

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score

Quite possibly too big, but consulting with GS customer care on this is best way forward. If this is your first pair of fancy boots, then yes, they may feel large and take a bit of getting used to, especially toe room.

And reinforcing what others said, don't obsess on the distance in front of the toe - its about proper fit and placement of your heel and ball (singular, lol). If at all possible, stopping by a decent store to get your Brannock size correctly measured, including that all important heel-ball length (also called arch length), would be valuable as a reference starting point for sizing.

Most of us get it wrong in the beginning, even when we think we got it right! For instance, I am 8-3/4 E measured heel to toe on the Brannock, and that works fine for my running shoes where I use a 9 almost always. But due to short toes, I am a 10D in heel-ball size, which is really how I need to think about boot sizing.

shahtirthak

Reaction score
Navy/Green PTB's.....

Before:
20211210_115930.jpg

After applying Saphir Medaille D'Or in Navy to get the navy back and first wear :

20220119_143108.jpg
20220119_143123.jpg
20220119_143136.jpg

The navy creme came right off at the flex points as the creme is just sitting on top without penetrating in.

These will get a coat or two of Saphir Renovateur and will spend the rest of their life as Navy-ish Blue-ish Emerald-ish Green-ish...wierd-ish !!

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Brannock is a dead-solid 12D, and I'm lucky that I've had that piece of knowledge to translate into the various lasts/etc. as I've wandered through this crazy journey. But even with that I have 11.5D, 11.5E and 12D in my closet in GYW shoes (and would be 12E in several other pairs that I don't own for one reason or another).

In sneakers, I've had everything from 11.5 to 14 :)butbut::lookaround:). Most Nikes are a 12.5 where they offer it (a 12 where they don't) and Chucks/Vans are 12. I've literally had 11.5, 12, 12.5, 13 and 14 (a pair of ASICS running shoes that almost had to be mislabeled...).

In any case, my point is sneakers are even more variable than "fine" shoes and harder to translate into Brannock IMHO.

All that said, if you've got movement in your heel or forefoot, they're too big. If that is all set and you just feel roomy vs. what you're used to, you're probably fine. I'd note that the 2 pairs I have that are a half-size too big and have the Pedag inserts are incredibly comfortable - I've put many hours and miles on both (especially the Indy boots) and they've been perfect. Definitely worth trying if you've already worn the shoes beyond return.

I really appreciate that. Honestly, that's exactly why I post so much - I remember how challenging it felt (and sometimes was) to get confidence with sizing, and even with the outstanding prices Grant Stone it's still real money. I was really grateful for the information I found here and on GYW, so I share what I can to help reduce that stress if possible. Sizing of shoes is still a bit of dark magic, but more info is a good thing.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
My Brannock is a dead-solid 12D, and I'm lucky that I've had that piece of knowledge to translate into the various lasts/etc. as I've wandered through this crazy journey. But even with that I have 11.5D, 11.5E and 12D in my closet in GYW shoes (and would be 12E in several other pairs that I don't own for one reason or another).

In sneakers, I've had everything from 11.5 to 14 :)butbut::lookaround:). Most Nikes are a 12.5 where they offer it (a 12 where they don't) and Chucks/Vans are 12. I've literally had 11.5, 12, 12.5, 13 and 14 (a pair of ASICS running shoes that almost had to be mislabeled...).

In any case, my point is sneakers are even more variable than "fine" shoes and harder to translate into Brannock IMHO.

All that said, if you've got movement in your heel or forefoot, they're too big. If that is all set and you just feel roomy vs. what you're used to, you're probably fine. I'd note that the 2 pairs I have that are a half-size too big and have the Pedag inserts are incredibly comfortable - I've put many hours and miles on both (especially the Indy boots) and they've been perfect. Definitely worth trying if you've already worn the shoes beyond return.

I really appreciate that. Honestly, that's exactly why I post so much - I remember how challenging it felt (and sometimes was) to get confidence with sizing, and even with the outstanding prices Grant Stone it's still real money. I was really grateful for the information I found here and on GYW, so I share what I can to help reduce that stress if possible. Sizing of shoes is still a bit of dark magic, but more info is a good thing.
Yes. Guys like you and Crizzle and ChineseBroccoli on Reddit are champions of the people.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I routinely take a 10 or 10.5 in sneakers like Nike or ASICS but my regular "dress" shoe size is 9 EEE.

Ben B

Reaction score
Also make sure you wear boot sock if that's what you intend to wear with them. Thin socks can make a difference.

whipcord

Reaction score
All that said, if you've got movement in your heel or forefoot, they're too big. If that is all set and you just feel roomy vs. what you're used to, you're probably fine.
I tried them on again last night and they are the right size. There is absolutely no moving around of my foot in either the heel or the forefoot, in fact the heel area fits very well. I pushed my foot as far forward into the boot as I could and I could barely squeeze a finger behind my heel. If I went half a size down, I think they will be too small.

I think I was focusing too much on the toebox, thinking there was too much room in front of my toes rather than taking into consideration the fact that my arch and the widest part of my feet are sitting in the correct place, like Grant Stone recommends on the fitting card included. It turns out their sizing recommendation was spot on.

Last thing - feet are unique. Mine happen to be a "Roman" shape, where the big toe and the next two toes are roughly the same length, straight across, then the 4th toe tapers slightly, with the small toe noticeably shorter. I also have no pronation at all. The further my feet get forward in the toebox, the more discomfort I start feeling because it starts forcing my big toe in, and rubbing on the others. In addition, my heel to ball measurement is large and my toes on the shorter end of the spectrum.

Last edited:

manowar

Reaction score
Out for a short walk today in town in the chukkas.

20220119_135436.jpg

Love how much leather there is between my foot and the ground. Just this week I rewatched Rose Anvil on Youtube cutting some Grant Stone's in half, it's incredible to see the cross-section.

Regarding fit, these are a little clompy on me after all. The size is the same as my Brannock measurement (10.5D) with a small insert and thick socks. I've got low volume feet and would prefer going down a half, but I know I can't take that size because of pressure on the big toe. The pressure there was so bad that I sold all my smaller sized pairs.

Now the Brass Boot totally eliminates toe pressure compared to the Leo last but has even more volume unfortunately. If I can hold off on other goodies long enough to save up some money, next I'd like to try a Brass Boot a whole size down.

You can see that the finish is blotchy on the kudu leather. I was a little too aggressive with conditioner trying to darken them, and the bits that have worn off are pretty stark. I don't want to apply a cream polish except as a last resort since the natural character of the leather is superb.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
Last thing - feet are unique. Mine happen to be a "Roman" shape, where the big toe and the next two toes are roughly the same length, straight across, then the 4th toe tapers slightly, with the small toe noticeably shorter. I also have no pronation at all. The further my feet get forward in the toebox, the more discomfort I start feeling because it starts forcing my big toe in, and rubbing on the others. In addition, my heel to ball measurement is large and my toes on the shorter end of the spectrum.
Welcome to the HTB > HTT foot measurement club. Meaning, get used to that toe room! Sounds like you have the right size.

whipcord

Reaction score
what I think I like the best about these Navy CXL Diesels is the edging. It looks sharp!
It does look very nice. I prefer the darker welts and midsoles, which is why I had wanted to order the cap toe boot in Crimson, and settled for the Diesel. I am not wild over the lighter welt on the Crimson Diesel boots I just ordered. Does anybody know if they'll ever darken naturally? I wish they would have come with the darker welt. I guess I don't care for the very obvious striped heel look, and just the overall contrast with the darker Horween leather. Hmmmm.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

• Loafers

• Boat shoes

• Espadrilles

• Sneakers

• Desert Boots

• Sandals

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads