• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Basboy

Reaction score
Speaking of wallets, I wonder if anyone bought one of the Ashland Leather wallets to put them over the line on Black Friday. If they had, that would have been a most excellent allocation of funds. The natural shell is especially appealing, as a matter of fact, I just picked up some goodies from Ashland over the weekend including an article in natural shell and whiskey shell as well as a very special piece of blue marbled and raw denim shell. I love their work and especially the fact that their owner Phil is an alumni of Horween Leather Co. and works very closely with them to source some of the most remarkable samples. Check out Ashland's Youtube channel if you haven't already (plus Instagram here).

I have not found a dedicated thread for small leather goods and/or everyday carry on Styleforum - WAYWRN being the closest thing? Maybe such a thread should be started.

I know Tanner Goods also uses Horween leathers and their products seem great as well. Incidentally, I just looked at their site for the first time today, even before seeing the post from @hses212.

I got a Natural Shell Johnny The Fox with my Black CXL Brass Boots. A little indigo patina developing already from keeping the wallet in my back pocket.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone piled on the Ashland train I see! Great stuff! I love to see all the different leathers, although nothing beats handling them and... yes, smelling them.

I got a Natural Shell Johnny The Fox with my Black CXL Brass Boots. A little indigo patina developing already from keeping the wallet in my back pocket.
Sounds awesome. In lieu of a pair of natural shell footwear I recently picked up the [much more affordable] vault leather key holder. I've used one of these for a couple years in black shell and wanted to try another color.

Also just got a sweet limited run 20mm NATO strap in whiskey shell. Not sure if it's going to work for me though as the strap is too long, and I'm not accustomed to folding back the excess strap length. I don't know if I've even seen that done on leather NATO straps... can any watch guys comment?

Basboy

Reaction score
Everyone piled on the Ashland train I see! Great stuff! I love to see all the different leathers, although nothing beats handling them and... yes, smelling them.

Sounds awesome. In lieu of a pair of natural shell footwear I recently picked up the [much more affordable] vault leather key holder. I've used one of these for a couple years in black shell and wanted to try another color.

Also just got a sweet limited run 20mm NATO strap in whiskey shell. Not sure if it's going to work for me though as the strap is too long, and I'm not accustomed to folding back the excess strap length. I don't know if I've even seen that done on leather NATO straps... can any watch guys comment?
Yes, folding back the excess strap and tucking into the keeper is normal.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh you're asking about leather NATO. I would assume the same.
Thanks for the answer. I'm messaging CS at Ashland about it and they suggested folding it back yet also generously offered a refund based on my issue. Not sure what I'll do yet, I hate to fold back the strap and cause irreversible creases... but it should work.

TomWambsgans

Reaction score
I just got my Grant Stone Traveler Storm Kudu loafers in. I ordered 9D, which is a half-size down from the 9.5D I wear most frequently in other brands. A couple questions:
1. Without socks, the loafers fit perfectly. With pretty thin socks, the loafers feel a bit tight. I assume this is OK? The GS website explicitly mentions that I shouldn't expect the shoes to stretch--but OTOH, I can't imagine 9.5D will be any better.
2. Is the break-in for kudu loafers different from calfskin?

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought two pairs of darn tough socks. Hiking socks in mid weight and a light weight. Definitely won't get these lifestyle as their just dress socks. I really should not look at this thread. Getting expensive!

For those who have the plain toe blutcher, are you the same size in boots or did you size down from your boot size?

Been a long time admin....too long.

Absolutely same size for me. Only thing I'll mention, the grain seems to be way more tight / rigid / less flexible than the CXL if that matters to you but otherwise in the long run I wouldn't change sizes. The Traveler & Chelsea fit differently enough that it might be necessary to change size in those.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You cant just drop a comment like that with no pics. Black cxl brass boot? I want to see that NOW.

ZouBirds26

Reaction score
I bought two pairs of darn tough socks. Hiking socks in mid weight and a light weight. Definitely won't get these lifestyle as their just dress socks. I really should not look at this thread. Getting expensive!

For those who have the plain toe blutcher, are you the same size in boots or did you size down from your boot size?
I went same size for PTB and boots and they both fit well.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'll revisit this if and when I go back into the office. I gotta behave myself with purchases

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my dream Ashland wallet from GS, the Johnny the Fox in Natural shell cordovan with a reverse interior. I have a few other Ashland shell wallets, too, and two of their apple watch bands in shell Honestly - they are the best wallets money can buy. Nothing comes close. Worth every cent. 0

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been enjoying mine as well - they were the only pair I took to Charleston for out Thanksgiving gathering, and they treated me very well! (but managed to not take any pix :facepalm:)

Like I've talked to about ad nauseam, I'm not hiding the fact that each pair I've gotten has required significant break-in for me. The Chelsea was the first one that was good from the moment I had it on ?

Basboy

Reaction score
You cant just drop a comment like that with no pics. Black cxl brass boot? I want to see that NOW.
Sorry! I just took these right now, it's night so not natural light. I did well on the CXL lottery. Creasing is tight almost everywhere. 20211204_195137.jpg 20211204_195052.jpg 20211204_195036.jpg 20211204_195023.jpg

petng

Reaction score
I lost the lottery on this one. What's your guys opinion? Seems like the worst example i have seen on any boot on the Web?

This is just from 15 mins of indoor wear at home!!!!
IMG_4558.jpg
IMG_4561.jpg
IMG_4562.jpg
IMG_4558.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads