• We would like to welcome Arterton as an official Affiliate Vendor. Arterton, based in the UK, specializes in fine accessories such as garment bags, umbrellas, and shoe care, as well as fine shoes and boots from Yearn Footwear Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Morning Gents,

My pair of Ottawa in crimson cxl have arrived. I am very impressed with these. Impeccable quality as usual would expect.

These pics are from trying on and a few steps. There is a ever so slight heal slip, I am wearing regular sport socks. I didn't think I'd like the colour or the split toe but in perspn they're amazing! Pics don't really do grant

Apologies in advance, I'm no photographer.
I don't wear shoes or boots in my house, only to take a few steps when they're brand new. I'll take them for a test drive soon. But I'm stoked

Attachments

basu13

Reaction score
Morning Gents,

My pair of Ottawa in crimson cxl have arrived. I am very impressed with these. Impeccable quality as usual would expect.

These pics are from trying on and a few steps. There is a ever so slight heal slip, I am wearing regular sport socks. I didn't think I'd like the colour or the split toe but in perspn they're amazing! Pics don't really do grant

Apologies in advance, I'm no photographer.
I don't wear shoes or boots in my house, only to take a few steps when they're brand new. I'll take them for a test drive soon. But I'm stoked
Those look real sweet. What's more, once they start ageing they should look even better. My crimson CXL Ottawas are also delivered to a friend', who's carrying them down from the US to where I live in a month or so.

Last edited:

fatsu

Reaction score
They will darken relatively quick, especially if you condition them with Venetian Balm or Saphir Renovateur. I try to keep mine looking lighter as long as possible.

Enjoy your first pair of Grant Stone shoes!
Ok, thank you. Brown or neutral balm?

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont get many new pairs these days...mainly due to lack of space haha. 110 or so pairs of AE, 4 from Quoddy, 5 from Alden, and only 8 from GS so far - Traveler in dune & crimson cxl, PTB in dune & crimson cxl, LWB in dune cxl, ottawa in the cognac, diesel in black cxl and captoe boot in crimson cxl. So when I add something new, its gotta be THAT good.

My BF purchase just arrived at my door - crimson cxl chelsea that went onto my backlog the minute I read m635's post....bastard. I freaking love these things...but more importantantly I finally get the confusion from lots of the online reviews. The UK last on this is much looser in the vamp than the Leo. I'm a 7.5C brannock at on the Leo I'm down to a 6.5D and the instep is really about as snug as I can go. This last gives me the relief I needed. As expected, on my left foot with a much lower instep, I immediately felt extra vertical space just like with western boots. Word of advice to low instep people - the instep is more roomy than the shoes, boots or loafers...

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And in case you're wondering if I held out until the 11th hour to see what shoemart had to offer and stupidly missed out on the kangaroo ottawa in the process, the answer would be yes (lowers head in shame). But tbh- had the ostrich still been available I would have gotten that the femtosecond the BF went live.

ifticar2

Reaction score
Makes sense. I have only recently started wearing boots regularly and so have never really faced this issue since I use sneakers for air travel. Guess my GS will have to be consigned to the check in baggage till I reach my destination.
Whenever my shoes have triggered the detectors, the TSA agent just tells me directly that my shoes triggered it, so I have to take them off. I have to explain more when I take my shoes off before the metal detectors. Agent tells me I don't have to take it off because of pre-check, I say the shoes have a steel shank, we move on. Was never questioned on the word shank

Mr_Nick0

Reaction score
Question for the experts:

Would you consider this grain break (loose grain?) to be acceptable on a new pair of Grant Stone CXL firsts? It doesn't really bother me too much, but i've only seen this level of creasing with Allen Edmonds CXL

Attachments

dah8

Reaction score

Would you consider this grain break (loose grain?) to be acceptable on a new pair of Grant Stone CXL firsts? It doesn't really bother me too much, but i've only seen this level of creasing with Allen Edmonds CXL
I believe that is normal.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score

Agree that its normal. The CXL lottery as they say.

manowar

Reaction score
Wearing the Storm Kudu today, this leather really grows on you! Soft, supple, and just as heavy duty as most leather boots, even though I read kudu tends to be thinner.

The heel of the GS chukka appears wider from the back than most of my other shoes and boots, and wider even than my derbies on the Leo last. But the heel fit is the same, if not a better lockdown than the derbies. I think the extra width is just from the use of a thicker [boot-like] heel counter -- which feels wonderfully supple yet supportive.

The butyl outsole on the chukka's is very soft compared to the standard GS double-leather variant. It's even so soft that little chunks of gravel get embedded into it, and the tip of the toe is actually peeling up like you would expect on an ultra-soft rubber crepe sole. This is the same spot where a standard double sole will wear at the onset, but instead of the front edge sanding off to an angle, it holds on longer and forms a little lip out the front. It should come off easily with a razor so I'm not concerned about it. The comfort, grip, and presumed water-proofing definitely exceed the standard double sole.

I'm trying out Sockwell cushioned wool/alpaca socks today and they do a great job filling up the extra volume for my feet. They're a little thicker than the Darn Tough's I normally wear. I go TTS in Grant Stone Leo to avoid toe rub, so the overall volume tends to be too much. I usually just wear thick socks or use a thin leather insert.
Sockwell was an unfamiliar brand to me until I found out they are the former "Goodhew" sock. I have got some Smartwool's in hand also but they seem to run massively big so I'll be exchanging for the next size down. The Sockwell's feel characteristically softer and seem to have a finer weave than the Smartwool, though it's a bit of apples-to-oranges since the Smartwool's are hiking socks and the Sockwell's are from their casual line.

Sadly I didn't keep the Brass Boots as they just felt too big, even though they were technically the right size (half down from Brannock). When the time comes I'll try a whole size down because the last shape seems excellent with tons of toe room. Excellent boot all around, I was very impressed with it.

Moeck14

Reaction score
Good to know, thanks
Yeah it's hit or miss with cxl and at least it is on the shaft of the boot. Personally I would eat the $10 return fee on those because I wouldn't be happy with that in an unworn boot myself. Others may have a different tolerance level tho

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

One of the cool things with CXL, it's a casual leather so this is normal and not an issue

Featured Sponsor

Pocket square on a coat: yes or no?

• Yes

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • No

Votes: 39 63.9%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 13 21.3%