• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it just to try on size or avoid bs charged from ups/FedEx ?

If it's the latter, grant stone ship with USPS , you may not get duty(ups and FedEx will charge you duty even though there is no duty, and you have to waste time fight them ) or tax at all.

Both. I recently bought a pair used on here to figure out sizing. If all goes well, I will possibly pick up more pairs.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Savvy and good to hear all are healthy and happy !!

Thank you so much! Sorry for the delay baby life has been crazy!

YES! "A mythical monster like a giant reptile." According to Dictionary, it's quite possibly a compliment.

Congratulations again! Enjoy the time with your new family!

It does sound like we could secure more of this shell. It's been difficult for suppliers to guarantee deliveries of late but it should come together sooner than later.

Thank you!!! Looking forward to wearing the new loafers.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

basu13

Reaction score
Both of these should be coming in around February!

Hello Wyatt. Please do make the Color 8 available on the Captoe boots as well! I like the Diesel, but the captoe is a more refined version of the Diesel, which I personally prefer. The captoe in Color 8 is something I am looking forward to and planning to pick up - if you do make it available.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yall.
are.
KILLING.
me....

;)

The jungle kangaroo should be around later next year as well so no pressure :decisions:

Hello Wyatt. Please do make the Color 8 available on the Captoe boots as well! I like the Diesel, but the captoe is a more refined version of the Diesel, which I personally prefer. The captoe in Color 8 is something I am looking forward to and planning to pick up - if you do make it available.

No plans for the cap toe just yet but we will have the edward boot coming in color 8 with flat welts.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
The jungle kangaroo should be around later next year as well so no pressure :decisions:

No plans for the cap toe just yet but we will have the edward boot coming in color 8 with flat welts.
I was really surprised how much dressier/refined the Edward looks in person (compared to the Diesel). Amazing what minor changes to the design can do.

Separately—will there new a British tan LW restock in the foreseeable future?

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What will the differences in makeup be for the Diesel vs the Edward in color 8 CXL?

Personally, things I really want to see are a perforated cap toe boot and a wingtip boot. I recall you saying that wingtip boots are in the works but a long way off.

Last edited:

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the second time this week,

GS suede LWBs on Oriental rug...

20211008_102349.jpg
20211008_102407.jpg
20211008_102424.jpg

Olof69

Reaction score

This is wonderful news. Edward on flat welt is such a beautiful make-up, cleanest lines I have seen. Leather or rubber sole for the upcoming model?

jam tangan

Reaction score
need for help of the SF-Members on the issue of sizes.
I feel comfortable in 9,5-uk-F and freely in width the fullness of 9,5-uk-G (Grenson-Fred-V).
comfortable in Thorogood 10,5-us-D.
Saucony-Jazz in 11-us (not snug fit).

measurements:
- left foot:
length 27,6 cm
width 10,6 cm
circumference of the wide part of the foot (near fingers) 26,3 cm.
- right foot:

please advise the size in GS.
thank you in advance!

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grant stone in dune. Thanks to @manowar for the boots.

These were for sizing purposes. Starting from the speed hooks, the laces are very pulled together but that's okay as this pair was stretched out. Very comfortable boots! I will he purchasing more in the future

Edit - In case anyone cares about sizing. I'm a 10.5 on the brannock device. 10.5 in all sneakers.

Took a 10D on the boots and they fit

Attachments

• 20211010_145414.jpg
    20211010_145414.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 20211010_145305.jpg
    20211010_145305.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 80

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grant stone in dune. Thanks to @manowar for the boots.

These were for sizing purposes. Starting from the speed hooks, the laces are very pulled together but that's okay as this pair was stretched out. Very comfortable boots! I will he purchasing more in the future

Edit - In case anyone cares about sizing. I'm a 10.5 on the brannock device. 10.5 in all sneakers.

Took a 10D on the boots and they fit
You wear them quite well, sir! Hated to get rid of them (fit reasons) but glad to know they're still in the 'family'.

need for help of the SF-Members on the issue of sizes.
I feel comfortable in 9,5-uk-F and freely in width the fullness of 9,5-uk-G (Grenson-Fred-V).
comfortable in Thorogood 10,5-us-D.
Saucony-Jazz in 11-us (not snug fit).

measurements:
- left foot:
length 27,6 cm
width 10,6 cm
circumference of the wide part of the foot (near fingers) 26,3 cm.
- right foot:

please advise the size in GS.
thank you in advance!

@jam tangan My first thought would be size 10D or 10E for you since I think they are roomier than Thorogoods of the same size but I strongly defer to the experts @GrantStone .

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to make a detailed post on the Grant Stone Fairfield Oxford but the short of it is: they are my favorite full-brogue style by far!

Besides the "sickly" yellow hue of AE's Walnut color, the pattern of the Fairfield (center) is much more attractive to me than the Strand to its left. For reference, the sizes below are 10.5EEE, 10E, and 11E. Excuse the poor photo quality but color representation is as accurate as I could achieve on my new Galaxy S21.

PSX_20211010_152517.jpg

This photo also illustrates the closeness of the tan Fairfields to AE's Dark Chili color on the right instead of the Walnut to the left (factory finished, that is). I do not have a pair of AE's in regular chili though I think they would be quite close. I would call the color of the Fairfield "London Tan" according to my old jar of Meltonian shoe cream. Note that I have darkened the Fairfields slightly from their original brick finish.

As for last shape comparison, below is a better representation of the differences between the 65 and Oliver lasts as all three shoes are in an E-width. The 65 last is quite elongated beyond the toes which leads to questions on safe walking mechanics especially while navigating stairs or difficult terrain.

PSX_20211010_152052.jpg

The Grant Stones fit and build quality is just superior in almost every way to this venerable American giant. Among the four new pairs of Allen Edmonds I have in hand (for the purpose fitting a friend) all have noticeable defects, being factory firsts, while the Grant Stone seconds in the center are practically flawless. (The sole stitching of the Fairfields is perhaps too close to the edge along the shoe's waist.)

Based on the other brands of full-brogues I have studied, the Grant Stone version seems to exceed most of them in build quality and finishing, and in my opinion also seems to be the most well-balanced and relevant style. The Alden style looks comparable yet I believe GS actually improved upon the aesthetics in several ways. The Fairfields remind me more of Trickers with their larger more pronounced perforations and medallions. A quick price check will show you that there's no better value in a modern dress shoe than the Grant Stone Fairfield Oxford!

Now, if we could just have them in a mid-brown calf or Maduro shell....

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads