• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Well'p. I just accidentally bought my first pair of grant stone. Maduro Edwards. The last thing I needed was more boots. On the other hand, I have been looking for an excuse to try GS.

Got this pair in tonight. Bit of a gamble for my 1st pair of GS especially considering my defiance of GS sizing advice. :eek2:
Ok, that isn't quite the case since I think the closest sizing reference for this last is Barrie and at the time I had some uncertainty about my Barrie size and didn't share it. Anyway, here's my midnight hot take having looked them over in terrible light and fitted them for 5 minutes.

Good fit. These are a 10D. GS suggested a 9.5E. My optimal Barrie size seems to be a 9.5E in a shoe and a 10D in a boot (could probably also wear a 9.5E in a boot). Like everyone else, I do find the fit to be similar to Barrie, although I think they run a hair longer. So would the 9.5E have fit me better? Maybe, maybe not. I suspect that the 9.5E would have felt very slightly narrower than the 10D. Maybe one of you has tried both and will tell me. Overall, very comfortable.

Build is excellent. This has been covered extensively already so I won't reiterate what you all know.

I bought these boots uncertain what color they actually were. Although I was aware of the Maduro release I haven't followed GS too closely. At first, I assumed they were brown. But then I was briefly confused thinking that maduro = madeira and maybe I just bought color 8. Then I did some more research and heard people talking about this color as similar to Alden Cigar, which is brown. So what are these exactly? I don't know but they aren't color 8. They also don't look the Dark Cognac to me, at least not the shell that I have. I suspect they may be Armagnac. I can compare them to a few other shell colors in the coming days and post images. Is it true that the shell color is altered with some type of polish?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
C&J Dark Cognac ---- GS Maduro / GS Maduro ---- Carmina Armagnac
IMG_1317.jpg
IMG_1316.jpg
IMG_1315.jpg

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
C&J Dark Cognac ---- GS Maduro / GS Maduro ---- Carmina Armagnac
View attachment 1572021 View attachment 1572022 View attachment 1572023

I can confirm it is dark cognac. In my experience, the variance within one color is much more than most other leathers.

Sometimes within one shipment, you will have a shell that is 3-4 shades off the next shell. This is one reason we rename it so people aren't expecting a certain color. There is a general direction but a pretty big variance overall.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I can confirm it is dark cognac. In my experience, the variance within one color is much more than most other leathers.

Sometimes within one shipment, you will have a shell that is 3-4 shades off the next shell. This is one reason we rename it so people aren't expecting a certain color. There is a general direction but a pretty big variance overall.

Thanks! Makes sense and that is what I'd figured once I got them outside earlier. Do you guys coat the shells or polish them with another color?

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks! Makes sense and that is what I'd figured once I got them outside earlier. Do you guys coat the shells or polish them with another color?

We do use a shoe cream after lasting and again before boxing but it's pair-by-pair. Some need more color than others to try and match panels or even vamps. Before shipping from the warehouse, we will usually apply a little Venetian cream and buff it out since they can bloom if sitting for a couple of weeks.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
We do use a shoe cream after lasting and again before boxing but it's pair-by-pair. Some need more color than others to try and match panels or even vamps. Before shipping from the warehouse, we will usually apply a little Venetian cream and buff it out since they can bloom if sitting for a couple of weeks.

Gotcha, thank you! Appreciate the transparency. The brown C&Js above came pretty well coated in polish from the factory so they were a lot more even in color when new. I prefer the variation and stripped off most of it almost right away. This pair of GS boots don't seem to be that heavily polished at all so I plan to leave them alone.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gotcha, thank you! Appreciate the transparency. The brown C&Js above came pretty well coated in polish from the factory so they were a lot more even in color when new. I prefer the variation and stripped off most of it almost right away. This pair of GS boots don't seem to be that heavily polished at all so I plan to leave them alone.
What did you use to strip off the color? I have had to strip off the "varnish" or whatever it is on a pair of color 8 Alden's, used IsoAlcohol, can't get a shine on them now, but it's ok as they are going to be a sun fade project in summer.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
What did you use to strip off the color? I have had to strip off the "varnish" or whatever it is on a pair of color 8 Alden's, used IsoAlcohol, can't get a shine on them now, but it's ok as they are going to be a sun fade project in summer.

Hey @audog... it's a different ball of wax so to speak. The Harlech isn't acrylic coated but rather C&J seems to be doing something similar to GS and applying colored cream polish to the shell to even the color variation. Something like renomat would have stripped it immediately but I'd preferred to use something less aggressive and instead just used a microfiber, VSC, and elbow grease. They kind of look like crap right now since I haven't cleaned them up since the fall. The pic below is from about 2 years ago right after I removed the polish. The 2nd pic is evidence. I don't appear to have an image of them as received which is kind of a bummer...

As for your Aldens... I did the same thing to a pair of mine since I was struggling with issues with the acrylic finish. I really wish they would stop using it. But anyway, mine are also more matte looking now. I actually cannot figure out what I did with that pair, coincidentally I was just looking for them a couple days ago, but I will locate them and send you a pic so we can compare notes.

postjack

Reaction score
Since I got my maduro travellers they are all I want to wear. My first shell shoes and now all I want is more shell shoes.

If I could get a honey glaze traveller, and tassel loafers and longwings in maduro and honey glaze my collection would be... complete? Is that a thing that happens?

HL486

Reaction score
Since I got my maduro travellers they are all I want to wear. My first shell shoes and now all I want is more shell shoes.

If I could get a honey glaze traveller, and tassel loafers and longwings in maduro and honey glaze my collection would be... complete? Is that a thing that happens?

You make me want to get into the shell game

DawgPound

Reaction score
Hi all! I’m struggling a little with the Leo last and have tried several sizes. I’ve tried 11 3E and those were huge (volume and width). I’m now trying 11 E and 10.5 3E. I can make both work, but the 11E is a tad snug in the forefoot but nicely locks in the heel and the 10.5 3E feels really good in the forefoot, but is sloppy in the heel and there’s heel slip even with thicker boot socks. Question: Which happens more as it the break in...forefoot relaxes some and it gives more there or it molds more to my heel and the sole breaks in giving me a better heel lock? I’m leaning on going with the better heel fit. Looking for advice. Thanks!

P.S. The Alexander last feels like it was made for my foot and 11E and 11.5E both work pretty well depending on if I want a snugger fit for the loafer or something with just enough comfortable room.

Last edited:

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I’m struggling a little with the Leo last and have tried several sizes. I’ve tried 11 3E and those were huge (volume and width). I’m now trying 11 E and 10.5 3E. I can make both work, but the 11E is a tad snug in the forefoot but nicely locks in the heel and the 10.5 3E feels really good in the forefoot, but is sloppy in the heel and there’s heel slip even with thicker boot socks. Question: Which happens more as it the break in...forefoot relaxes some and it gives more there or it molds more to my heel and the sole brakes in giving me a better heel lock? I’m leaning on going with the better heel fit. Looking for advice. Thanks!

P.S. The Alexander last feels like it was made for my foot and 11E and 11.5E both work pretty well depending on if I want a snugger fit for the loafer or something with just enough comfortable room.
Your comments about the Alexander last fit make me wonder why 11.5E hasn't been tried

DawgPound

Reaction score
Your comments about the Alexander last fit make me wonder why 11.5E hasn't been tried
Good question. In large part because of the overwhelming advice to size down, I brannock 11.5 E/2E, the 11 3E was huge, and length hadn’t been the issue. I do see where you’re going though.

If it helps, I’m an 11 3E in AE 65, and 11.5 2E in 511 last. My AE 1757 feels good in 11 3E, has some room in forefoot but locks the heel nicely. My only Alden is on the TruBal I’m a 11 2E and it fits great.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads