• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nearly all the ice has melted off the sidewalks, so leather soles are no longer a safety concern. The forecast for next week is going to be good enough to bust out the LWBs and the loafers.

Today’s Black CXL Ottawas are on their original double leather sole still. Purchased in Nov 2017, these guys have the tightest grain of any of my CXL products.

A6DF5A0B-9ECA-460A-B7AB-C9A4DB913BD6.jpeg

Last edited:

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I don't necessarily want to bring another brand into this thread but since Grant Stone does not offer an ostrich belt, is this one from AE the one you got and would this make a good pairing with the new ostrich boots?

Grant Stone color is "cognac" and AE is "Espresso" so maybe not the best color match.

View attachment 1562439 View attachment 1562440

It probably wont be a close match but the texture helps close the gap a little. I know some people don't mind while others really want a close match.

Hey @GrantStone

You offer Longwing - Coffee Suede, Tassel Loafer - Coffee Suede, and Traveler Penny - Espresso Suede so I was wondering if we might see a Fairfield in a dark brown suede anytime soon (even though you have suggested the dressier Fairfield is not selling as well as other styles in the middle of a pandemic)?

I think a dark suede oxford is a fantastic shoe to wear with smart casual outfits (as well as jeans and chinos).

View attachment 1563013 View attachment 1563014 View attachment 1563015

It really would be nice. Dark brown suede with navy suits is my favorite pairing (mainly because I almost only wear navy suits) but you hit the nail on the head. The oxfords are having a hard time right now. It's still relatively new for us so I'm hoping to see a better response this fall. We do want to increase the options and a brown suede would be one of those.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It really would be nice. Dark brown suede with navy suits is my favorite pairing (mainly because I almost only wear navy suits) but you hit the nail on the head. The oxfords are having a hard time right now. It's still relatively new for us so I'm hoping to see a better response this fall. We do want to increase the options and a brown suede would be one of those.

Don't discount the grey (medium or charcoal) suit with brown suede oxfords which are my wife's uncle's favorite pairing (mid grey chalk stripe suit with dark brown oxfords).

Last edited:

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every time I think I'm out of this game, you pull me right back in!

I just ordered my Ostrich Diesels. I pretty much had to do so since I've already bought an Ostrich belt in anticipation.

Bring it on, Mr. G. Stone!
@FatTuesday do you own a pair of AE Higgins Mill? If so what size do you take them in and what size did you order these boots in? I fit the 1757 Last perfectly in a 12, just wondering if there was any advice on what should work on this Leo last? I'm really eyeballing these Ostrich Diesel Boot's!

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@FatTuesday do you own a pair of AE Higgins Mill? If so what size do you take them in and what size did you order these boots in? I fit the 1757 Last perfectly in a 12, just wondering if there was any advice on what should work on this Leo last? I'm really eyeballing these Ostrich Diesel Boot's!
Yes.
12D here, there and everywhere.

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I take the same size in my Leo lasted boots (CXL and Calf Ottawas and a calf Cap-toe) as I do in my Higgins Mill (cxl and suede).

Saleemmd

Reaction score
Hi, I have dune diesel boot and wear the same size as ae-Higgins mill

BrandonF

Reaction score
It probably wont be a close match but the texture helps close the gap a little. I know some people don't mind while others really want a close match.

What about any more suede derbies? A Loden LWB would be awesome, as well as a Bourbon or Chocolate PTB.

Ben B

Reaction score
Question on the Storm Suede - how blue are they? Looking at photos, it seems these are another one that can look anywhere from straight gray to fairly blue. In real world situations, would you say they lean more blue or gray?
Thanks for any thoughts.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What about any more suede derbies? A Loden LWB would be awesome, as well as a Bourbon or Chocolate PTB.

This could be a good one for a pre-order later this year.

Question on the Storm Suede - how blue are they? Looking at photos, it seems these are another one that can look anywhere from straight gray to fairly blue. In real world situations, would you say they lean more blue or gray?
Thanks for any thoughts.

They definitely lean towards grey more than blue. This is outside, not direct sunlight. Steel grey would be a good description.
2021-01-08 08.41.48-2.jpg

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would love @GrantStone to release a color 8 or an oxblood or similar shade. My most versatile dress shoes are a pair of burgundy Park Aves.
They’ve confirmed that color 8 CXL is coming. Not exactly sure which models. I think it was mentioned in this thread before but also more recently in a podcast.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads