• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you’re wanting to dye the welt darker on the crimson, what about the dark walnut instead?

I have a pair of those on the way as well. The upper is much darker on the Dark Walnut so I am not sure if I am going to like it or the Crimson. Either way, whichever I keep would get the Vibram blown rubber sole in black.

bigtimejackq

Reaction score
Wyatt and Josh of @GrantStone answered all of my questions to ensure it could be done and even offered to speak with the cobbler if needed. If I move forward, it may take several weeks to get them done.

This AE build is a bit more "out there" but is the inspiration that made me think about having both the Dune and Crimson PTB soles converted to something more fun, casual, and comfortable. The Cristy 4014 sole on these AEs only comes in natural or black and I really wanted black for Crimson and dark brown for Dune which are both available in the same model sole GS uses on the Saddle Veg Tan shoe.

IMG_0863_1024x1024@2x.jpg

In some respects, the GS Saddle Veg Tan is the ultimate inspiration because I am basically having the same shoe built with a different color of the same Vibram sole.

GRANT2SIDE8_1512x.jpg
I'd just make sure you send them to someone pretty capable so they come back nice. Steve Doudaklian, Tony Wyatt or Jim McFarland.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'd just make sure you send them to someone pretty capable so they come back nice. Steve Doudaklian, Tony Wyatt or Jim McFarland.

I would have Allen/Owner of Cobblers Plus in Denver do the work. My wife and I both have family in the Denver area who have been customers of his for a few years. He also recently "saved" a pair of my wife's Frye Boots. She wore down into the welt at the toe area, I sent them to Allen, he took them apart and realized it was a fake stitch and they were actually cemented construction. He brought them back to life with new leather soles, GTO sole protectors and top lifts, and Blake stitched it all so it will now last longer.

He saved my wife's favorite boots so how could I not trust him with an easy sole replacement on the GS?

And he did those AE shoes. Here is the full video:

He is doing a double-sole option, like in the video below, on a pair of LL Bean (by Chippewa) boots I sent him.

bigtimejackq

Reaction score
I would have Allen/Owner of Cobblers Plus in Denver do the work. My wife and I both have family in the Denver area who have been customers of his for a few years. He also recently "saved" a pair of my wife's Frye Boots. She wore down into the welt at the toe area, I sent them to Allen, he took them apart and realized it was a fake stitch and they were actually cemented construction. He brought them back to life with new leather soles, GTO sole protectors and top lifts, and Blake stitched it all so it will now last longer.

He saved my wife's favorite boots so how could I not trust him with an easy sole replacement on the GS?

He is doing a double-sole option, like in the video below, on a pair of LL Bean (by Chippewa) boots I sent him.

Yes..they're great too at Cobblers Plus!

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@GrantStone , have u ever considered doing colour 8 CXL ?

And maybe some other leathers form is Horween ... like reverse chamois or Essex

We have only sampled it before but it is an interesting color. The only issue is if you are used to the shell color 8, the chromexcel version is more purple and not as dark. To me, the color 8 shell is really sharp because it's so dark, making it versatile and not over the top.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Have heard good things about them, Nick at Pekin Shoe Repair in Pekin Illinois does excellent work as well.

BrandonF

Reaction score
We have only sampled it before but it is an interesting color. The only issue is if you are used to the shell color 8, the chromexcel version is more purple and not as dark. To me, the color 8 shell is really sharp because it's so dark, making it versatile and not over the top.

What about a burgundy or oxblood calf?

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
Have heard good things about them, Nick at Pekin Shoe Repair in Pekin Illinois does excellent work as well.

Ya, Nick is legendary if you follow the Viberg forum. I have my pair of Saddle veg tans at Cobblers Plus at this very moment. I'm getting toe plates put it, because I nearly wore through the leather toes after only 2 days of wear :(

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What about a burgundy or oxblood calf?

Nothing so far. I'm not sure if we will be adding too many calf over the next year. Actually, calf has been a very small part of our sales when compared to the CXL, veg tanned leathers or even suede. We have more articles in development now though for next year including essex, more kudu, kangaroo and most exciting, ostrich. The ostrich boot looks pretty amazing, I will post photos here soon.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Curious, how will the color of the chocolate leather change as it ages and gets worn in ?

Since it is a chrome tanned calf, the changes should be subtle and more based on the individual's wear and when they are polished or which products are being used.
It might just darken a little bit. We have been really happy with the chocolate cap toe boot. It's probably the closest style to a dress boot in our line up.

Darkkp

Reaction score
Nothing so far. I'm not sure if we will be adding too many calf over the next year. Actually, calf has been a very small part of our sales when compared to the CXL, veg tanned leathers or even suede. We have more articles in development now though for next year including essex, more kudu, kangaroo and most exciting, ostrich. The ostrich boot looks pretty amazing, I will post photos here soon.
Are any of them in burgundy shades? I have seen some examples of burgundy kudu and they looked amazing

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any chance the Chelsea Boots will be getting an E width next year, hopefully by next Fall/Winter?

TheShoeru

Reaction score
I’d absolutely love some reverse chamois. Even more than that, a chelsea in their recent tan suede or, even ivory, with a matching side panel would be a grail shoe for me.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen much kangeroo or ostrich. Looking forward to the pics. Essex and kudu are definitely a few of my favorites!

Have you guys considered using kudu suede at some point? The reverse side of CF Stead's kudu is easily my favorite suede from what I've tried up until now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads