• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really wish you guys offer more color in regular calf instead of Chromexcel on most color variation. My top choice would be dark bronw/dark burgendy on PTB/Longwing

edit: I can definitely see myself buy the PTB in the future were it to be offered in moro color, right now the only thing I can see myself getting is Longwing British Tan Calf

Last edited:

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I really wish you guys offer more color in regular calf instead of Chromexcel on most color variation. My top choice would be dark bronw/dark burgendy on PTB/Longwing

We will slowly add on to the calf offerings. Possibly a dark brown calf for the fall on both pattern. It's amazing how quickly SKU count grows once you start adding patterns and widths.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any idea on how much the cxl lwb's will break in? I got them and they're pretty tight and stiff for me, moreso than most shoes I've tried

Then you probably don't have the correct size. I've had essentially zero break-in with any of my CXL boots/shoes.

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how did u choose the sz?....

Ive never heard folks say they are tight.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Any idea on how much the cxl lwb's will break in? I got them and they're pretty tight and stiff for me, moreso than most shoes I've tried

Unfortunately it sounds like it might be a bit too small. We do not recommend to buy a shoe that fits snug and to "break it in" or stretching it. While Cxl is usually softer than Calf articles and can possibly stretch a little, the shoe should still feel comfortable the first time you put it on and no pressure.
Have you already worn the shoe?

nhlducks35

Reaction score
Unfortunately it sounds like it might be a bit too small. We do not recommend to buy a shoe that fits snug and to "break it in" or stretching it. While Cxl is usually softer than Calf articles and can possibly stretch a little, the shoe should still feel comfortable the first time you put it on and no pressure.
Have you already worn the shoe?
Actually I tried walking some more in it, and it feels a lot better now, much more comfortable

I'm sure after wearing for a couple more hours it'll feel a lot better.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brush 'em for a minute or so and the pull-up will tone back down. After a few wears, it isn't quite as dramatic.

Grant Stone does a great job choosing leather and clicking. The Ottawa CXL boots I posted on the last page have been worn a lot in the six months I've had them - many long days during travel, etc. I'd guess I'm pushing 200 miles on these and they looked like this the other day:

I'm going to do a six-month writeup on these pretty soon...

Last edited:

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Moving into the fall, we are looking to add a brown calf to the line up. Right now we are sampling a medium brown, almost like a chestnut. Unlike the current British Tan, it doesn't have the brighter orange hues but a warmer hazel color. Here are a couple photos of the shoes after lasting and after attaching the outsole.
After this sample, we will also try a dark brown to see which translates better. The idea is to offer at least one brown calf article with an antique bottom by the fall time. Any suggestions or thoughts welcomed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads