• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally would prefer calf over CXL, but I don’t have real experience with CXL just stuff I heard

Ben B

Reaction score
So I am honestly 95% about to pull the trigger on some Grant Stone boots, however want some opinions. What would you folks suggest for Canadian FW wear, Crimson CXL or Chocolate Antique Calf?
Sorry - not sure what FW means

Ben B

Reaction score
I love my Crimson CXL and that leather would do well in harsh conditions. The Chocolate Calf would look a little dressier with the darker edging and cap toe.

Drzdave58

Reaction score
So I am honestly 95% about to pull the trigger on some Grant Stone boots, however want some opinions. What would you folks suggest for Canadian FW wear, Crimson CXL or Chocolate Antique Calf?
You can't go wrong with either one. So, whatever your personal preference is. But one thing is for sure. You will be buying more than one pair. I thought one pair would be fine. Now I have 3 pair.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well...you are at a level that I can only dream about?
You will get there, and the odd thing is, it just kind of happened....and next thing I know, I'm meeting GS for lunch at a country club and then buying even more product...although I have slowed of late, I'm simply out of room for many more new boots/shoes

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with either one. So, whatever your personal preference is. But one thing is for sure. You will be buying more than one pair. I thought one pair would be fine. Now I have 3 pair.
Lol, I know I will be. As said earlier I am eyeing that Tobacco Calf Loafer for later in the year even though it will be worn primarily with chinos and shorts lol. With the Canadian dollar being so low and taxes being at 15% at the border, it is definitely a once or twice in a year purchase. I think I am going to go Crimson CXL.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lol, I know I will be. As said earlier I am eyeing that Tobacco Calf Loafer for later in the year even though it will be worn primarily with chinos and shorts lol. With the Canadian dollar being so low and taxes being at 15% at the border, it is definitely a once or twice in a year purchase. I think I am going to go Crimson CXL.
Plan a trip (vacation) to USA, and buy them while here :)

Drzdave58

Reaction score
I live in Canada too. The exchange rate plus the duty charges hurt but I have to say the boots are worth the $$$. You will be amazed how fast the shipping is too!

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in Canada too. The exchange rate plus the duty charges hurt but I have to say the boots are worth the $$$. You will be amazed how fast the shipping is too!
Cool, did they ship with something that transfers to Canada Post so hopefully less charges, or do they use like DHL, FedEx, etc.?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads