• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Daniel - as an owner of the cognac color (scroll up this thread a bit for pix of mine), I'd say it is more versatile than whiskey, mainly because it has enough contrast to hold up to various shades of tan/khaki without looking too tone-on-tone. Cheers!

daniel852

Reaction score
It might be the first shell color but black and a dark brown is also an option. The dark brown by Comipel looks really great and will be a priority of ours.

With regards to the sole, we may stick with leather for the time being. We personally enjoy the leather sole due to aesthetic reasons and overall feel. Another reason we haven't introduced a rubber sole is due to the inventory break down. The total amount of SKUs grow incredibly quick!

Dark brown definitely sounds interesting!

As for the SKUs, I understand the difficulty of having more products to keep track of. However, rubber soles for these kinds of shoes would definitely do wonders for someone like myself. Personally, I think that if you did something similar to how Winson made the soles of this boot, it would look absolutely gorgeous, but that's just my opinion haha.

daniel852

Reaction score
Daniel - as an owner of the cognac color (scroll up this thread a bit for pix of mine), I'd say it is more versatile than whiskey, mainly because it has enough contrast to hold up to various shades of tan/khaki without looking too tone-on-tone. Cheers!

Hello,

I can see where you are coming from with this but I tend to wear jeans more often than not and I find that lighter shoes tend to catch the eye more often than darker ones. I know that jeans usually aren't meant for shoes like this but what can I say? I like wearing them haha.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I can see where you are coming from with this but I tend to wear jeans more often than not and I find that lighter shoes tend to catch the eye more often than darker ones. I know that jeans usually aren't meant for shoes like this but what can I say? I like wearing them haha.

One of the things I like about shoes like these is they're great with jeans or chinos of pretty much any color, but you should get shoes that fit your taste and style. Cheers!

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Dark brown definitely sounds interesting!

As for the SKUs, I understand the difficulty of having more products to keep track of. However, rubber soles for these kinds of shoes would definitely do wonders for someone like myself. Personally, I think that if you did something similar to how Winson made the soles of this boot, it would look absolutely gorgeous, but that's just my opinion haha.

That is a great looking boot. Actually that outsole construction is very similar to the tap we trialed. Here is a picture below. We did stitch through the tap though.

Last edited:

Sudonihm

Reaction score
One of the things I like about shoes like these is they're great with jeans or chinos of pretty much any color, but you should get shoes that fit your taste and style. Cheers!

That is a great looking boot. Actually that outsole construction is very similar to the tap we trialed. Here is a picture below. We did stitch through the tap though.

Hello,

I think shade is a matter of preference. I also prefer a darker brown, especially for a PTB. I own a wingtip in tan and like it a lot, but a dark brown (shell) PTB with a rubber sole or combo sole is, IMO, the most versatile shoe. Then again, I don't really wear black shoes and I think most all boots should come by default with rubber soles so what do I know.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I think shade is a matter of preference. I also prefer a darker brown, especially for a PTB. I own a wingtip in tan and like it a lot, but a dark brown (shell) PTB with a rubber sole or combo sole is, IMO, the most versatile shoe. Then again, I don't really wear black shoes and I think most all boots should come by default with rubber soles so what do I know.

A lot of people feel this way with regards to the rubber sole. We will try to implement this construction on some of our boots by the end of the year. Shoes could take a little bit longer.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like that style of combo sole. I've got something similar (I think) on my AE Academy derbys, and it is a great balance of comfort, weather and maintaining a leather edge.

kbuzz

Reaction score
That multi colored sole is great

Last edited:

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I like the white/whiteish sole...........the huge drawback for me is that when used for driving the rt rear heel just gets so dirty... Id love a similiar wedge sole..but not in bright white.........light brown, navy......deep red/rust........???.....all Id consider....

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
Our sole is a touch lighter than others. This is something we will consider going into fall. A pewter color could be interesting as well, just not as versatile as the classic off-white.

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the colored sole was introduced to me via Cole Haan shoes.....

and some of the colors they offer really work well.

pewter?......hmmmm, not sure Id have that on my want list?

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my Dune Longwings in today. They're pretty much perfect in the details of the execution, and they look awesome! The color is hard to photograph. It is like natural CXL with a brown wash. It's cool and deep.

Clean welt-joins, which has been true of my other two pairs

The longwing family

AE MacNiel, Alden 97645, GS Longwing, Florsheim Imperial

I'm really happy with them - can't wait to get them out tomorrow!

whizkidd

Reaction score
Got my Dune Longwings in today. They're pretty much perfect in the details of the execution, and they look awesome! The color is hard to photograph. It is like natural CXL with a brown wash. It's cool and deep.

Clean welt-joins, which has been true of my other two pairs

The longwing family

AE MacNiel, Alden 97645, GS Longwing, Florsheim Imperial

I'm really happy with them - can't wait to get them out tomorrow!
I don't own any Grantstone yet but based on the pictures, i'm really impressed with the quality. No loose grains and stitches as well clean welt joints. Alden, Allen Edmond's, Oak Street Bookmakers and Trumans can't even produce that type of Quality. The only shoe companies that exhibits that type of quality in my experience are Tricker's and Vibergs.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I don't own any Grantstone yet but based on the pictures, i'm really impressed with the quality. No loose grains and stitches as well clean welt joints. Alden, Allen Edmond's, Oak Street Bookmakers and Trumans can't even produce that type of Quality. The only shoe companies that exhibits that type of quality in my experience are Tricker's and Vibergs.

We are trying to be as careful as possible when it comes to QC. We have had a couple call outs on stitching as these can slip through, but overall have been quite happy with the feedback. The person who attaches the welts does a good job cutting in the right area making a clean joint.

When using cow articles, there is a grey area when it comes to the actual break of the grain and what is acceptable, especially using the likes of CXL. This has probably been the most difficult area for the factory due to the cutting yields, but in the end we would rather loose a little in the cutting room then have increased returns due to leather imperfections. We have been more lenient on color variation or natural marks depending where on the pattern and it seems like most customers can accept this on heavier brogues. Loose grain or wrinkles will always be tough though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads