• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Erikdayo

Reaction score
First day with the bourbon Diesel. Not sure if the quarters are a little off or it’s just the thick leather laces + less eyelets making it seem that way. Looks mostly better in the 2nd picture because I flattened out a part that was sticking out a bit. Either way not really worried about it.

Seems like the other laces I’d like to try with these boots won’t be in til Saturday.

9672126E-D8BD-496F-AEA6-9DD1E26603F7.jpegA9F48D23-8527-472E-987B-AB41F26E9720.jpeg

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First day with the bourbon Diesel. Not sure if the quarters are a little off or it’s just the thick leather laces + less eyelets making it seem that way. Looks mostly better in the 2nd picture because I flattened out a part that was sticking out a bit. Either way not really worried about it.

Seems like the other laces I’d like to try with these boots won’t be in til Saturday.

View attachment 1340598View attachment 1340599
You might want to try over/under lacing with those laces.

alset_rl

Reaction score
I was going to suggest the same as well. I switched to the over and under lacing pattern and I much prefer it to other lacing techniques. Your second picture looks fine though.

Erikdayo

Reaction score

I didn’t try over under yet, but I swapped it to this which seems to hold the quarters in place better.

I also realized that the tongue is partially gusseted. Wasn’t expecting that based on my other GS shoes. I’ve owned some Red Wings before and I found that messing with the way the gusset sits can greatly change the way the quarters align. The same trick I used to do helped here. I pushed the gusseting inward as much as I could. That means pushing it right on the left boot and left on the right boot.

it’s not 100% perfect, but it’s definitely way better. More than good enough for my tolerances. I will still consider other lacing techniques as this isn’t one of my favorites visually.

AE7ED24E-9553-4959-B2DF-EA389F25BADB.jpeg

edit: based on where the quarter bunches up due to the lacing this seems to work even better.

06990516-06BC-4C76-89F8-E4B14527C456.jpeg

Last edited:

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn’t try over under yet, but I swapped it to this which seems to hold the quarters in place better.

I also realized that the tongue is partially gusseted. Wasn’t expecting that based on my other GS shoes. I’ve owned some Red Wings before and I found that messing with the way the gusset sits can greatly change the way the quarters align. The same trick I used to do helped here. I pushed the gusseting inward as much as I could. That means pushing it right on the left boot and left on the right boot.

it’s not 100% perfect, but it’s definitely way better. More than good enough for my tolerances. I will still consider other lacing techniques as this isn’t one of my favorites visually.

View attachment 1340639

edit: based on where the quarter bunches up due to the lacing this seems to work even better.

View attachment 1340685
I use over/under lacing on my AE Surrey Cap-Toes (they're semi-gusseted, too). This pic is probably not the best angle for it, but it'll give you an idea of how it looks on foot:

20191119_surreys2.jpg

Erikdayo

Reaction score
It is a nice looking suede, not 100% on the sole though..I know it's comfy, but not sure it goes with that suede.
That sole isn't my style at all. Partly why I only commented on the suede. Still debating the buck shoes though. My girlfriend seems to be a fan of that one.

manowar

Reaction score
The suede boot looks perfect with that sole. I dig! Plus, that's a heckuva good price.

I will probably have to break down and get a dune belt when my budget allows.

British tan cap toes today. Want to get some slightly thicker round laces, these are some inexpensive AE's I had on hand. Though I will say I really like GS's flat laces.

IMG_65721.jpgIMG_6576.jpgIMG_65792.jpg

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.