• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Here is one of our latest samples using a new calf lining from France. This veg re-tan lining is a bit thicker (1.0mm-1.2mm) and has a tight grain with a soft hand. It should make a very nice lining.
The upper is a burgundy CXL. We will post a couple pictures of the final boot next week after soling.

Dave Johnson

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here. :)

Just wanted to post my quick review and picture of my Grant Stone shoes. I have two pairs, their Longwings in suede, and their Pain Toe in Dune. I can honestly say these are by far the best shoes I've ever owned--and I own a few pairs from Allen Edmonds. These definitely won't be the last. As for fit, they are very comfortable and generous. I normally wear 11.5 in sneakers, and their 11 fits great. I love that the toe box is wide, which makes them very comfortable--I find that AE run fairly narrow, and even in the correct size, they can be uncomfortable after a bit of wear if the shoes aren't broken in. I've been really impressed by these shoes, and I've worn them often. They seem to take longer to break in because of the thicker build, but I don't think that's a bad thing. Here's a few pics.

Plain Toe in Dune after several wearings.

Longwings straight out of the box.

(From my IG) Wearing the Longwings out, and I found a friend wearing his Grant Stone Dunes. I switched out the laces for a pop of color.

I need some boots now! :D

-Dave

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Any plans to offer the Ottawa boot with a rubber sole?

We are currently looking into a few non-leather sole options. To start, we might do a "tap" , inserting a rubber tap into the leather sole and using a full rubber top lift. This holds up quite well, will be stitched through and does offer some extra traction on slippery surfaces. Also it looks like a leather sole from a profile view as the edge is predominately leather with just a thin layer of rubber near the ball area.. This should be available in the fall.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Here is a final photo of the plain toe boot trial with the new lining. We decided to use the wedge on this pair for look-see. The color 8 Chromexcel is a bit light and purple so we added a couple layers of black shoe cream which darkens it a bit.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Nice but not feeling the sole....but that's just me

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What are the characteristics of the new lining?

The lining is from Du Puy in France. The tannery was bought by hermes group recently and still tans a very nice calf article.

It is common for the lining to wrinkle inside a shoe or boot, this is something we always have to watch for and can be tough to avoid depending on the cut of the leather. Using little adhesives in-between the lining and upper can be helpful, allowing both articles to move/stretch freely.

This particular lining is a veg re-tan article. It has an amazing "hand" and is very supple. When you grab it and flex the leather, it has a round, full break. This can be a big advantage when making shoes because the lining will tend to lay nicely against the upper. When it is in the corner of the pattern or flexed, it has a round break unlike some linings which can have a stiffer feel since it is thinner and or not as supple.

With the few skins we have seen so far, there are few areas which have loose, wrinkled grain. It would be a very nice article to use in production.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Nice but not feeling the sole....but that's just me

It is a bit much, especially with the color 8 Chromexcel upper which is practically purple. We currently use this wedge but would still like to darken it up a little bit.

It would be great to introduce the color 8 CXL leather as well but would like to see it with a deeper, darker burgundy base color.

Last edited:

daniel852

Reaction score
So a while back, I sent an email asking about a future MTO for shell cordovan plain toe bluchers. I was told that they may be happening in mid April. Now, I would just like to know if I can ask for a price range that I can expect for these types of shoes? I would just like to budget some money ahead of time so that I can definitely get a pair!

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Daniel,

Right now we are going through a transition with the shell. We are considering stocking the cognac color in the summer, instead of taking another pre-order in April. We have a small demand for this color and it is much easier for us to stock the shoe versus taking pre-orders. We have been charging $550 for this shoe. Because we have limited experience making larger quantities with this article, it is tough to assess the pricing at this point. It will probably stay around this range. By mid April we should have made a decision whether to proceed with a pre-order or stock a small quantity.

daniel852

Reaction score
That sounds great! Will cognac be the only color of shell that you make? I do not mind it but lighter colors such as whiskey are more preferable to me as they go with more clothes. Also forgot to ask if the sole is leather or can they be made with rubber such as dainite?

Last edited:

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That sounds great! Will cognac be the only color of shell that you make? I do not mind it but lighter colors such as whiskey are more preferable to me as they go with more clothes. Also forgot to ask if the sole is leather or can they be made with rubber such as dainite?

It might be the first shell color but black and a dark brown is also an option. The dark brown by Comipel looks really great and will be a priority of ours.

With regards to the sole, we may stick with leather for the time being. We personally enjoy the leather sole due to aesthetic reasons and overall feel. Another reason we haven't introduced a rubber sole is due to the inventory break down. The total amount of SKUs grow incredibly quick!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics