• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Assuming you get a pair with no QC issues from both, I think GS and Carmina have similar quality. What you get from Carmina, imo, is a sleeker aesthetic and more options so it really comes down to the style you prefer
That is an interesting statement "Assuming you get a pair with no QC issues......" Seems to indicate that QC issues are a concern. I'm about 98% sure you would get no QC issues with a pair of Grant Stone's. The only reason I'm not 100% is because something could happen, but in my experience even the B grade are superior to most other companies firsts.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dune Diesel boots beginning to look like boots, doing some work in them building shelving in the basement for the wife today.
IMG_0712.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The deer bone info is up on the GS website Journal, in case anyone wants to view it. Just went through it and it's good info. When my Abbeyhorn deer bone is "shot" will order the GS version to replace it. These things work wonders on shell, and I will be trying it on the Dune Diesels tomorrow. I expect great results.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The storm Kudu sold out really fast too, I really liked them but I was trying to resist temptation. I broke after just a couple of days, but when I tried to pre-order... they were aleardy gone! It's great to hear that the pre-orders are selling well. To a new company like GS it sounds like pre-orders are a bit of a crapshoot, so it's nice to hear that everything is working out.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is an interesting statement "Assuming you get a pair with no QC issues......" Seems to indicate that QC issues are a concern. I'm about 98% sure you would get no QC issues with a pair of Grant Stone's. The only reason I'm not 100% is because something could happen, but in my experience even the B grade are superior to most other companies firsts.
Let me clarify and add some context here as my statement only intended to compare apples to apples. I've owned 7 pairs of Carmina since 2012 (currently have 6) and only one pair of GS, but have had absolutely no issues with any of my pairs. The one pair I sold was due to sizing. With the recent ramp up of their MTO offerings they've had a lot more complaints here on SF, which is why I felt the need to add the statement around QC.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Let me clarify and add some context here as my statement only intended to compare apples to apples. I've owned 7 pairs of Carmina since 2012 (currently have 6) and only one pair of GS, but have had absolutely no issues with any of my pairs. The one pair I sold was due to sizing. With the recent ramp up of their MTO offerings they've had a lot more complaints here on SF, which is why I felt the need to add the statement around QC.
I apologize, I misunderstood your original comment, thank you for clarification.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First full day wearing Grant Stone cap toe boots in British tan. I wore them on the way home from work the day they arrived.

Surprisingly the GS plain toe shoes I wore yesterday gave me blisters on my heels. Haven’t had that experience since I tried Red Wings. I think they’ll be just fine, of course. Just thought it was odd since the boots in the same last have not given me any issues.

Should have the coffee longwings next week.

9EA70180-E7CC-43A2-89E4-283A568B31FD.jpeg 5182E6FA-995B-463E-AB75-381A1E825B3F.jpeg

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that like any well-made shoe, a bit of break-in is required. Heel blisters may be caused by heel slip, which will diminish over time. I'm wearing a fresh pair of Nick's boots today and these babies require 80-100 hours of break-in!

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that like any well-made shoe, a bit of break-in is required. Heel blisters may be caused by heel slip, which will diminish over time. I'm wearing a fresh pair of Nick's boots today and these babies require 80-100 hours of break-in!
Haven't had any break pain from Barrie and Trubalance last boots, and these Leo last boots seem fine too. It could be heel slip or just overall fit differences despite being on the same last since the shoes don't have the long shaft the boots have.

Either way I'm not worried. Love the GS plain toes. I didn't realize just how chunky the outsoles were until I compared them to my Alden 971. The beefy outsoles work great with the chunky yet, in my opinion, still very stylish Leo last.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@GrantStone Any impacts as of yet or expected at the factory due to the Coronavirus? Xiamen Island is quite some distance from Wuhan but most of China is affected. Hopefully all are safe and doing well.

So far the coronavirus hasn't had a large impact in Xiamen, thanks for asking.
Most of the team will be heading back to Xiamen this weekend from their home towns in Fujian although there may be a countrywide push to have an extra week off to keep it from spreading. The province of Wuhan seems to be doing everything they can to keep people immobile for a couple more weeks to assess it.

We will be watching it closely though as we have a family trip planned there for March. Everyone is waiting for things to settle down a bit and see how things progress when companies and schools return from the break.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
GS 3 days in a row. Yesterday was navy ptb. Today crimson Ottowa.

0130201252a.jpg
0130201256.jpg

My opinion is that the heel is very snug and comfy on my 3 boots. But one the 2 ptbs, the heel are looser and also shallow causing some heel slip. I will probably glue down some more leather heel liner to make it more snug.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads