• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

K. Nights

Reaction score
I am not sure if you got your answer yet but I have both in the same size. In comparison, the Cavendish has a much narrower toe box compared to the Alexander last on the Travellers. The Cavendish has a slicker shape and I occasionally wear it with a navy suit. The Travellers are slightly bulkier and in my opinion would not look a little incoherent with formal tailoring.

I would add that there was a significant break in period with the Cavendish. On the other hand, the travellers had absolutely no break in period and were so comfortable from the get go. If you are looking for an "everyday" loafer to be worn with denim, chinos or casual trousers, then I would suggest going for the Travellers.

Also the honey shell loafers look so good! Looking forward to all of your photos!
Thanks for the info! By the same size, are you using one full size difference between UK and US measurements? For example 9 UK and 10 US?

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage today for wingtip Wednesday. Grant Stone in bourbon suede. They definitely fit the profile of gunboat!

IMG_20200129_084151.jpg
IMG_20200129_090304.jpg

Leanderthal

Reaction score
I have no experience with Grant Stone, but I am becoming increasingly intrigued by their longwings...

I'm sure this has been asked before - but are any of you fine gentlemen able speak on the quality of Grant Stone in comparison to C&J, or Carmina?

BrandonF

Reaction score
I have no experience with Grant Stone, but I am becoming increasingly intrigued by their longwings...

I'm sure this has been asked before - but are any of you fine gentlemen able speak on the quality of Grant Stone in comparison to C&J, or Carmina?
I don't own C&J or Carmina, but their quality is miles above Allen Edmonds in my opinion for usually the same price point if that helps.

I've heard most people compare GS to Alden for what its worth.

One thing different about GS is the heft of their shoes. These things are solid! It's quite different than AE, which feels so much more dainty. I like this, but some might not.

Erikdayo

Reaction score
I don't own C&J or Carmina, but their quality is miles above Allen Edmonds in my opinion for usually the same price point if that helps.

I've heard most people compare GS to Alden for what its worth.

One thing different about GS is the heft of their shoes. These things are solid! It's quite different than AE, which feels so much more dainty. I like this, but some might not.
My experience is limited since I've only owned/seen 3 Grant Stone pairs up close and 5 Aldens, but I'd say GS's quality control seems noticeably better than Alden. Really does not seem all that close. Once you factor in the price difference the value in buying Alden seems a bit questionable. That said I still love my Aldens, and they do offer more lasts and definitely have some makeups I like more than the comparable Grant Stone options at this time. On top of that both brands seem well ahead of AE in quality these days.

I have not tried C&J or Carmina yet so I cannot compare those.

Leanderthal

Reaction score
My experience is limited since I've only owned/seen 3 Grant Stone pairs up close and 5 Aldens, but I'd say GS's quality control seems noticeably better than Alden. Really does not seem all that close. Once you factor in the price difference the value in buying Alden seems a bit questionable. That said I still love my Aldens, and they do offer more lasts and definitely have some makeups I like more than the comparable Grant Stone options at this time. On top of that both brands seem well ahead of AE in quality these days.

I have not tried C&J or Carmina yet so I cannot compare those.
Thanks for your insight. This helps some. I have yet to try Alden. But I have never been completely satisfied with AE with their cost to quality ratio. So it's good to know GS is (from what it seems) achieving beyond that mark.

BrandonF

Reaction score
Thanks for your insight. This helps some. I have yet to try Alden. But I have never been completely satisfied with AE with their cost to quality ratio. So it's good to know GS is (from what it seems) achieving beyond that mark.
I honestly don't know how you could be disappointed in GS from a quality perspective.

It's more just a personal preference on style and fit. Only complaints I've ever seen regarding GS is how heavy the shoes are or if the last just doesn't fit them right. For me, I love how solid feeling they are, love the more masculine and casual styling, and once I got my size right they fit me like a glove with almost no break in.

Leanderthal

Reaction score
I honestly don't know how you could be disappointed in GS from a quality perspective.

It's more just a personal preference on style and fit. Only complaints I've ever seen regarding GS is how heavy the shoes are or if the last just doesn't fit them right. For me, I love how solid feeling they are, love the more masculine and casual styling, and once I got my size right they fit me like a glove with almost no break in.
I really like their style, especially in their longwing. And I like the idea of that type of shoe being more hefty, especially the version with studded soles.

I moved on from AE after I discovered I could pay a little bit more and get a much better fit, and much better quality IMO, from C&J , and Carmina. For the welcoming price, I'm hoping to add GS as well.

BrandonF

Reaction score
I really like their style, especially in their longwing. And I like the idea of that type of shoe being more hefty, especially the version with studded soles.

I moved on from AE after I discovered I could pay a little bit more and get a much better fit, and much better quality IMO, from C&J , and Carmina. For the welcoming price, I'm hoping to add GS as well.
I’ve had good success emailing them regarding fit questions too before ordering. They have great customer service.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@GrantStone Any impacts as of yet or expected at the factory due to the Coronavirus? Obviously Xiamen Island is quite some distance from Wuhan but most of China is affected. Hopefully all are safe and doing well.

Mr.Chest

Reaction score

GS is definitely worth their price and are comparable to both Alden and Carmina. I haven’t owned any C&J myself although the GS are some of my favorite pairs taking in account quality/fit/and design.

Last edited:

jischwar

Reaction score

Assuming you get a pair with no QC issues from both, I think GS and Carmina have similar quality. What you get from Carmina, imo, is a sleeker aesthetic and more options so it really comes down to the style you prefer

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 84 17.6%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 154 32.2%
  • 8”

Votes: 139 29.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 54 11.3%
  • 9”

Votes: 24 5.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 11 2.3%