• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wearing another pair of Ottawa's while helping wife clean out a closet, Ivory suede will have to wait for a while.
IMG_0639.jpeg

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I wanted to share a photo of the latest tassel sample. These won't be available until late summer but I'm excited with how they're progressing.

Keep in mind this will not be a take on the tassels you might have in your closet which has more of a sharper, elegant last shape. I have always really liked tassel loafers but had a hard time wearing them given the lasts used. This tassel will have a fuller toe box fitting more like a casual loafer or even the Leo last.

We are adjusting the pattern to try and finesse the lines a bit in effort to make the shoe appear more slender than it fits.

The leather on this sample is what we will most likely proceed with. It has a really great shine and amazing depth (veg-tan calf). We will make a few more changes to the pattern over the next month or two before starting the first batch.

Overall, we are really happy with the current shoe and a bit relieved as I wasn't sure if a tassel would translate on a fuller last. The next round of adjustments should only make it look sharper.

IMG_1258.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wanted to share a photo of the latest tassel sample. These won't be available until late summer but I'm excited with how they're progressing.

Keep in mind this will not be a take on the tassels you might have in your closet which has more of a sharper, elegant last shape. I have always really liked tassel loafers but had a hard time wearing them given the lasts used. This tassel will have a fuller toe box fitting more like a casual loafer or even the Leo last.

We are adjusting the pattern to try and finesse the lines a bit in effort to make the shoe appear more slender than it fits.

The leather on this sample is what we will most likely proceed with. It has a really great shine and amazing depth (veg-tan calf). We will make a few more changes to the pattern over the next month or two before starting the first batch.

Overall, we are really happy with the current shoe and a bit relieved as I wasn't sure if a tassel would translate on a fuller last. The next round of adjustments should only make it look sharper.

View attachment 1322016
Very nice looking, the look reminds me of a tassel loafer from another company who uses a last called Aberdeen. However Aberdeen can be a bit "restrictive" in the toe box, so a Leo-ish last might be more comfortable. I like this prototype a lot, and I don't wear tassel loafers much any more, but.........

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
maybe it's been covered already but two questions

1) Does GS have sales, and if so, when?
2) Does GS plan on introducing shell?

@GrantStone

Turns31

Reaction score
Highly highly recommend this stuff for your Crimsons. The Saphir creme surfine in dark brown. The shine and scuff cover is unreal. The photos don't do it justice.

Attachments

• IMG_20200121_201319.jpg
    IMG_20200121_201319.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20200121_201343.jpg
    IMG_20200121_201343.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20200121_201405.jpg
    IMG_20200121_201405.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 66

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between surfine and medaille d'or?

Turns31

Reaction score
What's the difference between surfine and medaille d'or?
Not 100% sure but I think the latter is strictly a polish where surfine is more of a does all. It has beeswax in it as well to offer minimal protection. I just bought it because it was half the price.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
maybe it's been covered already but two questions

1) Does GS have sales, and if so, when?
2) Does GS plan on introducing shell?

@GrantStone
Black Friday sales and of course B-stock, GS has had some shell, limited release preorder type of thing. Currently have a Honey Glazed shell Ottawa on the website.
Honestly, even at full price the GS product punches WAY above it's weight class, comparable to shoes/boots from other companies at twice the price, so if that is factored in, they are always on sale :)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not 100% sure but I think the latter is strictly a polish where surfine is more of a does all. It has beeswax in it as well to offer minimal protection. I just bought it because it was half the price.
Give a report once you use it, I have only used the gold Renovateur and the CXL stuff from Saphir.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, guess I should scroll down and take a peek at posts, looks like you DID post pix. Disregard my post about you posting photos of the Saphir final results. Have a good evening!

BrandonF

Reaction score
I’ve had good success applying a burgundy cream polish to the Crimson CXL to bring out more of the red hues. Although I’m a suck for oxblood.

Speaking of which @GrantStone any plans for a true oxblood color?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads