• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have so enjoyed the Blue Suede discussion (pre coffee) this morning, that I thought I'd wear them. Hanger Project laces View attachment 1280038 View attachment 1280039
View attachment 1280108
Hanger Project laces.
My contribution to the blue suede debate.
And mine...
Alden x Leffot (with non-OEM Alden laces, courtesy of @Misterg12):

20191115_NSTs.jpg

mike2

Reaction score
The Grain Ottawa boots are excellent, as expected. Been wearing them a lot and the sizing advice to go up to an E from a D worked perfectly. Thanks.

The blue suede pics look great too. I think the GS shade of blue is really very nice and I prefer it to some of the other examples that have been posted. I'm fairly sure a blue suede boot isn't for me (though if I keep viewing this thread I might come around), but maybe a blue suede loafer or country derby in the spring?

Fcdts26

Reaction score
Uh oh. We are working on this now. I should have an answer Monday. Please don't get your hopes up.

The reason we didn't offer the EEE is due to the pattern differences. When working with shell there are certain adjustments that may need to be made which can affect the pattern, lasting allowance, etc.

Thanks for the interest and hopefully we can put something together, whether now or very soon.
No biggie if the timing isn’t right! Definitely appreciate you working on it.

meyer1son

Reaction score
Sorry, haven't had coffee yet......... I don't WORK (actual physical work) in Suede boots, but I do in smooth leather boots, thus the difference in my mind between suede and leather FOR ACTUAL WORK. Suede = fashion boots in my head. I may be nuts, perhaps I should give up as well :)

audog it wasn't hard to understand what you're saying

meyer1son

Reaction score
Well after a short delay with the ups truck breaking down. I finally got my GS diesel boots in black Chromexcel, about 2 weeks ago I think lol I have strange little feet that don't seems to like shoes or boots these days. High instep one foot, bunion other. At this time the boots are fully broken in. And the Leo last fits me very well. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. And the stunning looks of these boot.

D18C734A-5D21-4A39-8F13-412BD055E869_1_201_a.jpeg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great boots. But IMO, those laces are incongruous. They are rather wimpy.

They are dress laces. The leather ones were difficult to tie, I felt.

I understand why @savvysartorial replaced the leather laces with round laces. The leather laces shipped with the boots are nice GS leather laces, but the boot needs something a tad less "work boot" looking, and round laces work well. Perhaps a thicker round lace (GG or Hanger Project) as the AE are rather skinny.

As noted above, I needed to change them. I like the dressier look, but with the large eyelets they are pretty small looking! They're the only laces I had laying around...

Are the GG laces here thicker than the AE laces? They do look a bit beefier.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well after a short delay with the ups truck breaking down. I finally got my GS diesel boots in black Chromexcel, about 2 weeks ago I think lol I have strange little feet that don't seems to like shoes or boots these days. High instep one foot, bunion other. At this time the boots are fully broken in. And the Leo last fits me very well. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. And the stunning looks of these boot.

View attachment 1280493
Those look really nice!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They are dress laces. The leather ones were difficult to tie, I felt.

As noted above, I needed to change them. I like the dressier look, but with the large eyelets they are pretty small looking! They're the only laces I had laying around...

Are the GG laces here thicker than the AE laces? They do look a bit beefier.

GG laces are a bit beefier than the AE boot laces, Hanger Project boot laces are good as well.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GG laces are a bit beefier than the AE boot laces, Hanger Project boot laces are good as well.

Thank you. I will have to get a pair then. The large eyelets of the GS boot really need something to fill them up better.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out this brisk morning at the local farmer's market for their maiden voyage. The soles are super stiff, it's almost like walking on a 2x4!

DSC00079.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads