• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Milksteakboiledhard

Reaction score
Such a great leather, and you are making me want to put the leather laces back in mine :)
I like the leather laces in these and my black CXL Ottawas. I want to throw the flat cotton into the new suede ones and see how that looks.

I haven't put anything on these boots since I got them last summer, they don't feel dry so its not an urgent need. Have you put any product on yours?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the leather laces in these and my black CXL Ottawas. I want to throw the flat cotton into the new suede ones and see how that looks.

I haven't put anything on these boots since I got them last summer, they don't feel dry so its not an urgent need. Have you put any product on yours?
I put some VSC on them a couple of months ago, not that they felt like they needed it but I was VSC-ing some other boots and figured what the heck. I am still undecided if I like the scratch/wear marks that are showing up lighter in color, may try a brownish polish to see if I can even them out, or may just leave them scuffed. Put the leather back in.
IMG_8228.jpeg

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
I wrote before about my quick wear down on the toe area. This pic shows my diy home remedy toe topy solution. It works well and gives my gait good grip for pushing off the toe. I could probably get it cleaner with some exacto knife shaving but it doesn't look too bad.

1569011131588877148016.jpg

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wrote before about my quick wear down on the toe area. This pic shows my diy home remedy toe topy solution. It works well and gives my gait good grip for pushing of the toe. I could probably get it cleaner with some exacto knife shaving but it doesn't look too bad.

View attachment 1244690
Looks good and I commend you on a DIY project!

andrewro

Reaction score
I wrote before about my quick wear down on the toe area. This pic shows my diy home remedy toe topy solution. It works well and gives my gait good grip for pushing of the toe. I could probably get it cleaner with some exacto knife shaving but it doesn't look too bad.
Nice! I get a quick wear at the toes from "springing" or pushing off when I walk. Had a similar situation and a local cobbler cut back the leather and stitched in some heel rubber at the toes. Not bad for $20. I think I posted it way back.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice! I get a quick wear at the toes from "springing" or pushing off when I walk. Had a similar situation and a local cobbler cut back the leather and stitched in some heel rubber at the toes. Not bad for $20. I think I posted it way back.
Have no decent cobblers around me, if I took a pair in to have it done, they would be gone 6 weeks, cost about $50 and be F*d up when get them back. That's why I'm down with DIY!

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
That's a cool method and cheap too.

Just read your vcleat replacement post.

The local cobbler here is a bit condescending in his dialog so I didn't want to bother.

I posted this 'decleat' and toe on the vintage thread.
0901191856.jpg
0901191857.jpg

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Have no decent cobblers around me, if I took a pair in to have it done, they would be gone 6 weeks, cost about $50 and be F*d up when get them back. That's why I'm down with DIY!
If you don't care too much about the sole bottom look, maybe you can try out a pair. Painter tape and shoegoo.

0830191511.jpg

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.