• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

schweezly

Reaction score
The 9EEE might be worth a shot. That EEE last is awesome. Do you feel like the 10E might be too long if you try that?

I doubt 10e would be too long, maybe just too voluminous. It’s probably the best choice for me in boots (way too big in shoes.)

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I decided the best way to see if GS would fit is to just try one. I wasn’t really looking for a PTB but it was what was available on the B grades. A quick walk around the house and a bit of heel slip but not bad. Heel seems a bit broader than most of my AE shoes so perhaps that is why. I don’t think going down a half size would work based on where my pinky toe is.

Width is decent but I wouldn’t call it roomy. I would say there is a fair amount of height in the toebox, reminds of the AE B34 in that regard.

Packaging was nice although the box didn’t fair all that well.
FB65CB05-A6AC-4170-9BBC-97BD07E72C01.jpeg

6D74D941-1226-45A8-A951-5DB8287A60EB.jpeg

BDE66644-0414-4CDF-986A-DF0F5D7A080E.jpeg

This shows how odd my feet are, left foot is shorter but obviously bigger as you can see in the lace gap,

9AC61CA4-1E61-41A1-AE81-BA418284503C.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I decided the best way to see if GS would fit is to just try one. I wasn’t really looking for a PTB but it was what was available on the B grades. A quick walk around the house and a bit of heel slip but not bad. Heel seems a bit broader than most of my AE shoes so perhaps that is why. I don’t think going down a half size would work based on where my pinky toe is.

Width is decent but I wouldn’t call it roomy. I would say there is a fair amount of height in the toebox, reminds of the AE B34 in that regard.

Packaging was nice although the box didn’t fair all that well.
View attachment 1243479
View attachment 1243480
View attachment 1243481

This shows how odd my feet are, left foot is shorter but obviously bigger as you can see in the lace gap,

View attachment 1243485
Keepers? or not? They look ok, and I have never had a B stock box that didn't come in damaged, the regular boxes are excellent shoe boxes, but those fold-y boxes never fare well, doesn't seem to matter who uses them. I have had AE come in with the folding box trashed. I don't like the folding shoebox as shown in your photo. Good thing I don't keep boxes or it would really irritate me. Now for fit, did you go with Brannock, or a size based on an AE last?

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keepers? or not? They look ok, and I have never had a B stock box that didn't come in damaged, the regular boxes are excellent shoe boxes, but those fold-y boxes never fare well, doesn't seem to matter who uses them. I have had AE come in with the folding box trashed. I don't like the folding shoebox as shown in your photo. Good thing I don't keep boxes or it would really irritate me. Now for fit, did you go with Brannock, or a size based on an AE last?

I went with my most common AE size, 9 EEE I think they fit well enough, certainly no worse than others I have. I need to have a shoe for a while before I really know how well it fits. It's why I wanted a 2nd so I wouldn't feel bad if the fit wasn't great. I do think a boot in 9 EEE would be just fine as that takes the heel out of the equation.

I will say it looks like the Dune CXL creases instantly which was a bit unexpected, not an issue though.

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went with my most common AE size, 9 EEE I think they fit well enough, certainly no worse than others I have. I need to have a shoe for a while before I really know how well it fits. It's why I wanted a 2nd so I wouldn't feel bad if the fit wasn't great. I do think a boot in 9 EEE would be just fine as that takes the heel out of the equation.

I will say it looks like the Dune CXL creases instantly which was a bit unexpected, not an issue though.

CXL is like that. It can break badly, but once you give it wear you’ll have enough creases that it turns into character. That makes me want a pair of GS’ dune.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Agree that a boot would take the heel out of the equation. CXL does crease, some times worse on one pair than on another, it's the nature of CXL. I like it on my boots the creases are "mine" and add to the look of the footwear.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CXL is like that. It can break badly, but once you give it wear you’ll have enough creases that it turns into character. That makes me want a pair of GS’ dune.
Agree that a boot would take the heel out of the equation. CXL does crease, some times worse on one pair than on another, it's the nature of CXL. I like it on my boots the creases are "mine" and add to the look of the footwear.

I don't find it to be an issue, I was very used to this with many of my waxy Doc Martens, as soon as you took a step you had a crease and after a wear or two you had a number of creases but then they never got any worse.

So far my AE HM's (Brown CXL) have not developed any creases after a few wears so I figured that was how CXL wore (my first CXL shoe).

I'm going to wear them around the house a bit this weekend so I'll have a few more pictures to help illustrate my particular fitment. As to why these were seconds...the only thing I can find wrong is a tiny divot and slight scratch on the left toe, perhaps a touch of what might be loose grain but otherwise they look great. I'd be happy to take some 9 EEE boots off your hands as seconds @GrantStone :D

My five minute impression (I'm sure this will change once I can get some time with them) is they feel very substantial. The sole "claps" as I walk giving the impression of not a great deal of flex (my Neumok 2.0's are similar as well as some of my Butyl soles) I expect this will break in over time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads