• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Might do that later today know @up1911fan he is a good guy and didn’t say anything really negative just where they are made and that they don’t focus on dress shoes, which is true. Other guy don’t know so may address him if reply. Don’t have any SM. So never visit that thread.

No, dude. @up1911fan isn't the person I'm referring to who spoke ill of Grant Stone. I'm talking about @Jamesbond1 . I merely quoted @up1911fan 's post for context, since @Jamesbond1 was replying to it.

P.S. Spier & Mackay is pretty great. They are kind of like the Grant Stone of the clothing world, in that they offer a tremendous value for the price and constantly engage their customers and implement feedback. But Grant Stone definitely has superior customer service. :thumbs-up:

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I casually browse that thread, but have never purchased from them, because I like brands that actively engage with their customer base and are open about their offerings and hurdles as a small (all things are relative) business. I saw that guy's comment and shook my head - I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but some are just flat out wrong. Grant Stone makes a solid shoe that punches well above its price class. The origin of leather is listed on the product pages and they are proud of their manufacturing location and staff. There's no technicality that they are riding on like some other manufacturers (uppers cut and sewn in a foreign country, shipped to another for final assembly yet still made in USA), you are getting everything you are paying for.

The proof is in the pudding. This article has been out on the internet for awhile, but newcomers and prospective customers might not be aware of it: https://www.heddels.com/2016/03/grant-stone-french-calf-derby-shoe-review/

From the article, a cut in half Grant Stone:

I'm not paid, nor compensated in anyway - just a satisfied customer.

Josh Lange

Reaction score
No, dude. @up1911fan isn't the person I'm referring to who spoke ill of Grant Stone. I'm talking about @Jamesbond1 . I merely quoted @up1911fan 's post for context, since @Jamesbond1 was replying to it.

P.S. Spier & Mackay is pretty great. They are kind of like the Grant Stone of the clothing world, in that they offer a tremendous value for the price and constantly engage their customers and implement feedback. But Grant Stone definitely has superior customer service. :thumbs-up:

Thanks for the support! @SJR3

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I casually browse that thread, but have never purchased from them, because I like brands that actively engage with their customer base and are open about their offerings and hurdles as a small (all things are relative) business. I saw that guy's comment and shook my head - I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but some are just flat out wrong. Grant Stone makes a solid shoe that punches well above its price class. The origin of leather is listed on the product pages and they are proud of their manufacturing location and staff. There's no technicality that they are riding on like some other manufacturers (uppers cut and sewn in a foreign country, shipped to another for final assembly yet still made in USA), you are getting everything you are paying for.

The proof is in the pudding. This article has been out on the internet for awhile, but newcomers and prospective customers might not be aware of it: https://www.heddels.com/2016/03/grant-stone-french-calf-derby-shoe-review/

View attachment 1238920

You would also like Spier then.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1238920

Thanks so for posting this, I had forgotten about that article. I would put my GS up against any of my Aldens for quality of construction and fit. I won't include exotic (Whiskey, Ravello, etc) as those are a different animal. But any of CXL GS are the equal of any of my Alden, perhaps better. There I said it! Now will I stop purchasing Alden, probably not. Will I continue to purchase GS, probably will. Oh, I'm not compensated either and I AM AN EXTREMELY satisfied customer. So @Milksteakboiledhard YOU ROCK for posting this, now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hospital waiting room, waiting till they call me for a test. Why do all institutions have the same crappy carpet?

I need to get my company to update our office to get some better shoe shots to keep up with @audog

I anticipate that these will fit like a glove once broken in.

View attachment 1238922
We have a multi colored, geometric area rug in the living room and there is that exact color of red in it. After I vacuum up the dog hair, I'll try to get a shot of my boots on it. And your photos are great BTW.

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hospital waiting room, waiting till they call me for a test. Why do all institutions have the same crappy carpet? View attachment 1238978

We have a multi colored, geometric area rug in the living room and there is that exact color of red in it. After I vacuum up the dog hair, I'll try to get a shot of my boots on it. And your photos are great BTW.

Thanks for the kind words. Portrait mode on the iPhone does wonders as does having good subject matter. I hope the outcome of the tests are positive.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Excited to say I think I've finally nailed down my size in Leo (the joys of having a high instep). Looking to add some suede to my collection next.

View attachment 1238932
Once you get the Leo dialed in, it is remarkably similar between leathers, now (and here I go blowing up the thread again with posts) the cap toe boots I just got fit a teeny, tiny bit different between the two pair. The Tan being better fitting in the area where the shaft joins the welt/arch area. The Crimson pair seems about 1cm "different" not uncomfortable at all, just a bit different to my feet. Perhaps just a bit tighter, I'm attributing it to CXL. So having little else to do, tried on a couple more pair, in quick succession and odd the Crimson Diesel feels about the same as the Crimson cap toe, while the dune and Saddle tan feel like the tan cap toe. Is it a deal breaker, oh hell no. And if they come out with some other leathers in the cap toe, I'm in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads