• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This morning UPS sent a status update on the cap toe boots, "Not able to deliver as scheduled" with no update on ETA, guess I won't be getting them today :(

Eagerly awaiting mine, I decided to snag my first B-grade, Bourbon Ottawa. I didn't need it, but at that price I would be an idiot to sleep on it.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just happened to find two photos from a couple years ago. It was a really dark green which made it pretty easy to wear.

View attachment 1237846 View attachment 1237847

We wouldn't consider this a B Grade due to the placement of the looser grain. When looking at a hide of CXL, the grain structure type you see on the panels is found on a large percentage of the hide. Since this type of break is found on a large portion of the leather, we do not avoid the entire selection but we try to position it on the quarters versus the vamps. Of course each hide is different and there is plenty of areas we avoid altogether, especially if it poses a performance concern.

This boot seems to have a very clean vamp break based on the bottom photo which is what we are really striving to achieve with CXL. Sometimes the break is much heavier but still looks good (IMO) and accepted by our QC if matched as a pair.

The soft feel is definitely one of the CXL selling points. The tongue and quarters are forgiving from the first time the boot is put on which feels great.

CXL is tanned using big native steer hides. A thick raw material like this can promote a full, soft hand but not a tight grain structure. It's on the opposite side of the spectrum from a small calf article.
Yes that is green, not sure I can pull of green Bluchers, but it is pretty.

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to trim the length on these laces, but I prefer the rawhide in here over the cotton (and the opposite in my black Ottawas).

Regular posting allows me to track when I acquire new dog scratches - looks like my little dude added a new one on the right toe:

IMG-1383.JPG

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I need to trim the length on these laces, but I prefer the rawhide in here over the cotton (and the opposite in my black Ottawas).

Regular posting allows me to track when I acquire new dog scratches - looks like my little dude added a new one on the right toe:

View attachment 1237859
I agree on the leather laces in this boot if only I can figure out how to not have the laces twist without re-lacing every time, always have had an issue with that and laces, of any type on any footwear. May wear mine to the dentist today :)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is getting to be a wild ride, UPS now says boots coming tomorrow but when going to their tracking website, they say today by 9PM CST. But show shipped this morning, now that would be something if they do, in fact, show up yet tonight.

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is getting to be a wild ride, UPS now says boots coming tomorrow but when going to their tracking website, they say today by 9PM CST. But show shipped this morning, now that would be something if they do, in fact, show up yet tonight.

The good news is that we have boots on the way.

I just got the update that they'll be here by tomorrow EOD which is typically true for the service that GS uses.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The good news is that we have boots on the way.

I just got the update that they'll be here by tomorrow EOD which is typically true for the service that GS uses.

View attachment 1238123
Mine just update about 2 minutes ago, looks like yours now. Exciting but I'm going to be gone most of the day.......

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine just update about 2 minutes ago, looks like yours now. Exciting but I'm going to be gone most of the day.......

The UPS truck comes through my neighborhood in the late morning and around 6 pm, so I should be able to snag them on lunch or get them close to after work.

The scuffs on the rustic calf just make them look so awesome. It's one of my favorite calf leathers I've owned.

@GrantStone does this method work on calf?

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The UPS truck comes through my neighborhood in the late morning and around 6 pm, so I should be able to snag them on lunch or get them close to after work.

The scuffs on the rustic calf just make them look so awesome. It's one of my favorite calf leathers I've owned.

@GrantStone does this method work on calf?

Using a tool for the vamp crease could help with any material when it comes to guiding the crease to a certain area on the vamp. When breaking in a new wear tests I have had vamps break awkwardly which may have been avoided if using this method. It's hard to be sure since the break is set after the first wear.

That being said, the end result might be very similar if not the same on most pairs whether using this method or not.

One area we spend a lot of time on is the cutting direction of the leather. Certain patterns are problematic when lasting if the leather isn't cut in a certain direction. This also plays a role in the break.

The pebbled pairs look great gents!

And @GrantStone the new cap toe boots look fantastic - really sleek!

Appreciate it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads