• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cognac Cap toe boots for a Sunday morning.
IMG_3595.jpeg

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Happy Sunday, Grant Stoners! Thoughts on this pair of B Grades I'm considering?

01.jpg
002.jpg
03.jpg

I believe the dark mark in the red circle is the reason these are B Grades, according to Josh's comments. I can absolutely live with that, especially as it will just blend in once the vamp area gets some creases after break-in.

In the third pic, however, it appears there is quite a bit of difference in terms of color in the toe area between the L and R shoe. The left appears much darker. This could also be part of the reason they are B Grades, or maybe it's just lighting/reflection making it looks worse in the pic than in real life. Or maybe I'm just being too anal, which is usually the case. :brick:

Would appreciate some input from you guys more experienced in the footwear game than myself.

cardsfan89

Reaction score

I believe the dark mark in the red circle is the reason these are B Grades, according to Josh's comments. I can absolutely live with that, especially as it will just blend in once the vamp area gets some creases after break-in.

In the third pic, however, it appears there is quite a bit of difference in terms of color in the toe area between the L and R shoe. The left appears much darker. This could also be part of the reason they are B Grades, or maybe it's just lighting/reflection making it looks worse in the pic than in real life. Or maybe I'm just being too anal, which is usually the case. :brick:

Would appreciate some input from you guys more experienced in the footwear game than myself.

As I understand it, Dune is a difficult color to photograph (I haven’t taken many pics of my Dune PTBs so I’m not speaking from experience). @M635Guy has a fantastic review of his Dune LWBs on reddit and I believe he mentioned there (in the review or in the comments) the difficulty faced trying to capture the color.

With that said, and with the understanding that Josh didn’t mention the shoes being slightly different shades, I’d assume it’s just the lighting. I’d ask him though - he’ll give you an honest assessment

Hopefully it’s just the lighting and you get the warm and fuzzies about this pair - those are beautiful shoes and the B grade pricing is a bargain

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
As I understand it, Dune is a difficult color to photograph (I haven’t taken many pics of my Dune PTBs so I’m not speaking from experience). @M635Guy has a fantastic review of his Dune LWBs on reddit and I believe he mentioned there (in the review or in the comments) the difficulty faced trying to capture the color.

With that said, and with the understanding that Josh didn’t mention the shoes being slightly different shades, I’d assume it’s just the lighting. I’d ask him though - he’ll give you an honest assessment

Hopefully it’s just the lighting and you get the warm and fuzzies about this pair - those are beautiful shoes and the B grade pricing is a bargain

Thanks for that insight, and I'm inclined to agree. Josh said it's a really clean pair, especially for B Grade.

I'm probably going to pull the trigger but am awaiting Josh's reply; he said they have one other pair of these in my size, though with some outsole stitching imperfection, and I'm curious to see those too.

By the way, he was kind enough to snap these photos for me within an hour of my inquiry about this pair of B Grades. And late on a Friday afternoon, no less. Top notch customer service! :cheers:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for that insight, and I'm inclined to agree. Josh said it's a really clean pair, especially for B Grade.

I'm probably going to pull the trigger but am awaiting Josh's reply; he said they have one other pair of these in my size, though with some outsole stitching imperfection, and I'm curious to see those too.

By the way, he was kind enough to snap these photos for me within an hour of my inquiry about this pair of B Grades. And late on a Friday afternoon, no less. Top notch customer service! :cheers:

GS customer service is TOPS! Josh (and Wyatt) have been really helpful to me in the past, and have set the benchmark, in my opinion, for above and beyond customer service. Like you, Josh has sent me photo's of B stock after normal business hours. For what it is worth, I have a few pair of B stock and for the life of me have been unable to determine why they were B stock, far superior to any A stock I've had from AE in the past decade. You will NOT be disappointed.[/QUOTE]

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It looks to me, that's the nature of CXL. Each piece of leather has its own personality, thats why you get a unique patina with each pair. I think they look good, and they'll change and look better every time you wear them. I'm not a huge fan of CXL, but it is a nice looking pair of shoes. Besides, on foot you wont really notice any differences. Get them!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It looks to me, that's the nature of CXL. Each piece of leather has its own personality, thats why you get a unique patina with each pair. I think they look good, and they'll change and look better every time you wear them. I'm not a huge fan of CXL, but it is a nice looking pair of shoes. Besides, on foot you wont really notice any differences. Get them!
And I'm a huge fan of CXL, and agree with this statement about being a nice looking pair and especially the "Get them!" portion.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I should have expected no less from you enablers! :tongue:

Ordered.

Pretty fantastic price. And knowing what I know about GS, it's no surprise they have high standards even for their B Grades. Like @audog mentioned.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

The only reason this was B graded was the mark across the vamp. Once it is worn, it will probably be hard to see. The color difference is minimal and shouldn’t be a negative attribute with this pair.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The only reason this was B graded was the mark across the vamp. Once it is worn, it will probably be hard to see. The color difference is minimal and shouldn’t be a negative attribute with this pair.

Thanks for the reassurance. I should have figured as much. I look forward to receiving the shoes.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurance. I should have figured as much. I look forward to receiving the shoes.
Dune is such a cool color, my dune Ottawa boots are aging really nicely and getting an interesting patina, the quarters are getting darker than the rest of the boot and make a really nice color contrast. I'll try to post some pix in daylight. You are going to love those shoes!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics