• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Heavyweight Tees Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's popular heavyweight tees are now restocked, in three styles, so there is something for every style. They are available in three classic colors: white, black, and the heather grey featured here.. These high quality tees are staples that work in every seasons. Check them out here here

If you have any questions for the designer, please, he is a valued and active member and sponsor of the community, and can be found here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

707Matt

Reaction score
Honestly, not really. The difference in color between the panels is not as pronounced as it appears in the pictures - they basically look like DawgPound's photos above. I'm still getting used to the color, trying to figure out how I will wear them. My style leans more casual so these will likely be worn for work functions and maybe with a suit once in a while.

This is my first pair of shell though, and so I wasn't sure what to expect. They seem slightly less "special" than what I was picturing in my mind, or at least closer to other leathers I have in my collection. I'm sure that will change with wear, brushings, and when they start to develop rolls instead of creases. I mostly bought them because seeing the pictures go up made me think this is a classic-in-the-making pair that I could still be wearing 20 years down the line. (I also really wanted something in shell and have borderline too many boots already, so went with the LWB! Of course, I couldn't resist the Maduro Edwards once that pre-order came around...)
Thank you

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C8 cxl Brass Boots for today.
20230726_174139.jpg
20230726_173932.jpg
20230726_174007.jpg
20230726_174044.jpg

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
March 8, 2023

My 8am class was busy taking a midterm, so I knew I’d have a little time to focus on the Honey Glazed Shell Pre-Order from Grant Stone.

I had these in my cart during last year’s pre-sale, but hesitated because I planned on ordering natural shell Higgins Mills from Allen Edmonds during the Fall 2022 trunk show (which I did end up doing). Didn’t matter. The lovely GS photos on the internet swayed me and I committed to ordering the Edwards when the next chance became available. (Side note: I similarly hesitated a few weeks ago when they offered the Edward in Maduro; will probably have to pick those up next year.)

Shirley the cat alerted me to UPSs arrival this afternoon.

The Edwards are here. This is my second pair of Grant Stone boots (I ordered the Forest Kudu Cap Toe Boot on New Year’s Day ‘23). I struggled for a while with my own domestic versus global production biases (as most of my shoe collection is made up of Alden, Allen Edmonds, and Vintage Florsheim); however, echoing many others on Reddit and Styleforum, GS is a solid brand that takes presentation and construction seriously. (My wife even noted today that the Grant Stone shoebox is superior to most other brands’ packaging.)

Initial Impressions:

Obviously, they’re beautiful. Natural shell has quite a bit of variation, and the uppers on these boots certainly demonstrate this fact. I stood and watched the boots as the sun moved in and out from behind the clouds; the marbling is fairly pronounced, but I appreciate it.

Things I Want to Change:

I don’t particularly care for flat laces, but these aren’t offensive to me or anything. But, I’ll be installing Guarded Goods 54” rounds.

Also: I like the Grant Stone micro stud, especially on the Forest Kudu Cap Toe Boots, but I think these would look much better on leather. (I purchased my Allen Edmonds Higgins Mills on Double JR and I think the leather soles frame the boot nicely. If I’m not mistaken, the Grant Stone Garnet Shell Edwards are available on leather.)

Third: there’s a fairly prominent stripe on the right boot. Dealbreaker? No, especially because these are casual (and we already talked about the variations in natural shell).

Sizing:

I basically buy everything in a 10eee and adjust fit with different socks. I’ve made some attempts to play around with sizing, but something always gets in the way (that is, half size this or that depending on last yada yada yada) and I end up preferring the 10eee.

Price and Value:

I paid $695 (pretax) in March; price is now $745. Allen Edmonds shell boots are now $825 and Alden is above 900 (with “rare shell” over $1000). Grant Stone is still an excellent value considering the fit / finishing and also how they make “rare” colorways available without much pomp and circumstance (the barriers to entry being only money and accessing the website before the pre-orders sell out).

Timeframe:

Ordered March 8, 2023; arrived July 22, 2023. They were transparent, and I have patience (to put it in perspective: as a 10eee, anything I want from Alden takes 9-12 months).

Who else got in on the March pre-order? Thanks for reading. Stay well.

Edit: special thanks to @GrantStone for even making eee these days :)
View attachment 1995307 View attachment 1995309 View attachment 1995311 View attachment 1995313 View attachment 1995315 View attachment 1995317 View attachment 1995319 View attachment 1995321 View attachment 1995323 View attachment 1995325 View attachment 1995327

That's a very interesting color. Not quite natural, not quite bourbon. I agree that I wish GS offered more options with a leather sole. I find their leather soles to be more comfortable and easy to break in.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@GrantStone Any chance that GS enters the boat shoe competition in the future?
I don't know about boat shoe but I'm well on my way to developing a problem with their travel penny loafers. Picked up the bourbon suede and jungle kangaroo. Now I want them in butter suede, coral suede (limited uses though), and garnet shell but it is sold out.

Traveler Penny Bourbon Suede today (technically my second pair but I haven't worn the jungle kangaroo penny):

IMG_4426.JPEG

Last edited:

707Matt

Reaction score
On the flip side of wanting more leather soles, I would like to see more mini lug or micro stud outsole. To me diesel represents tough, rock solid, and longevity. I believe leather outsoles should be on dress boots, not necessarily a boot called diesel.

I wish to see a Diesel boot In balck CXL with natural storm welt and mini lug. That sounds like a diesel. The nora boot almost seems more fitting of the name diesel. Any chance of this happening @GrantStone ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230727_083848_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230727_083848_Samsung Internet.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 54

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the flip side of wanting more leather soles, I would like to see more mini lug or micro stud outsole. To me diesel represents tough, rock solid, and longevity. I believe leather outsoles should be on dress boots, not necessarily a boot called diesel.

I wish to see a Diesel boot In balck CXL with natural storm welt and mini lug. That sounds like a diesel. The nora boot almost seems more fitting of the name diesel. Any chance of this happening @GrantStone ?
I would have actually gotten this were it an option. Though I would probably prefer micro stud and flat welt like the Nora boots pictured. I was sort of curious how much the last on those boots differs compared to the Leo, but I decided to not bother inquiring and just go with the men's boots. Reason being it would have been nice to have one pair my two pairs of black boots with a natural welt, but the black welt/edge does make them more versatile overall so I can't complain.

707Matt

Reaction score
I would have actually gotten this were it an option. Though I would probably prefer micro stud and flat welt like the Nora boots pictured. I was sort of curious how much the last on those boots differs compared to the Leo, but I decided to not bother inquiring and just go with the men's boots. Reason being it would have been nice to have one pair my two pairs of black boots with a natural welt, but the black welt/edge does make them more versatile overall so I can't complain.
I can dig it. Those were just my thoughts as I consider venturing out to a plain toe boot.
That being said, I just ordered another pair of Field boots in black CXL. My wallet was handmade by my good friends brother in black CXL. These seem to be a natural progression.
Here's my wallet. 3+years in my back pocket everyday. Not conditioned or anything. Not once.

Attachments

• 20230727_121635.jpg
    20230727_121635.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230727_121609.jpg
    20230727_121609.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 20230727_121532.jpg
    20230727_121532.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You might find double leather soles to be more durable than you think. I mean, I've got a pair of lowly Wolverine 1000 Mile boots from 2014 that still have a great looking original leather sole. They've been worked in, hiked in, and ran in. The GS soles are worlds better than that. Once you break in a double leather sole they're just phenomenal.

woodenbits

Reaction score
Finally had a few minutes to take some pics of my Garnet Shell LWBs that arrived on Saturday.

New arrival! Excuse the socks/legs, but wanted to get these on for a wear around the house.

Question to you, lucky owners of splendid GS shell LWB (both new and old): if you happen to also own GS LWB in calf leather (especially of saddle tan variety), are they sized the same? Asking because my saddle tan LWB shredded my feet repeatedly like no other footwear and I feel like I am just getting in proximity of breaking them in after multiple months of fighting them (and giving up on them on couple occasions). All that despite them being same size as my Ottawa boots in Storm Kudu (which fit quite well right from the box if one is to ignore slight pinky pinching). They just do NOT fit the same at all despite being on the same Leo last - LWB seeming to be be sized 0.25 smaller than Ottawa.

Anyway, I heard that shell does not stretch at all, and while saddle tan calf break in is brutal (sometimes I wonder if that calf leather was reinforced with kevlar), it IS working, while shell is likely to be perpetual foot-shredder unless it was stretched not as much while lasting and therefore is naturally slightly larger right from the box.

Just idle curiousity from my side, that is it :)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeuroPureCA1