• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dune Ottawa with a bunch of natural cxl goodies - belt & Fat herbie wallet from Ashland Leather and a watch strap made of horween natural cxl.
Lots of green and brown today !
20220819_180206.jpg
20220819_180242.jpg
20220819_180356.jpg
20220819_180547.jpg
20220819_181410.jpg
20220819_181535.jpg
20220819_181253.jpg

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The struggle is real. I still can't decide which fits me better - the 11D Brass Boots or the 11.5D Diesel. The 11D Brass quarters and heel are perfect - here's a pic of the laces as I have them on right now (boots are dusty from being outside). My pinky toes are a bit squished in the boots and the 2nd to last toes are touching the sides of the boot, so am still thinking about having them stretched.

The 11.5D Diesel feels better on the pinky toes, but I have some heel slip and really need to cinch them down in order to feel locked in. I'm considering a kiltie to take up a little volume.

I mention this because I'm drooling over 3 different pairs of Grant Stone boots, but really don't know what size to order. Wish I was one of those people who fit perfectly into a size and just clicked "ORDER."

Which brings me to my question: Are the quarters on an 11E Diesel going to be more loose than an 11.5D?

View attachment 1823711
I don't personally feel it's worth squishing your pinky toes under any circumstances. I feel like I did it for years simply because I didn't know any better.

Personally, I am going to try the midweight full cushion Hiker and heavyweight full cushion Tactical socks from Darn Tough and see how they compare to my midweight cushion Hikers. If I like any of those styles enough I will unfortunately need to spend a few hundred to have enough pairs for the daily rotation. If I don't like either of them I will just deal with the current aesthetic as the boots do fit perfectly fine.

Moostyle

Reaction score
I don't personally feel it's worth squishing your pinky toes under any circumstances. I feel like I did it for years simply because I didn't know any better.
Ditto, I worse shoes that were a bit too small for years and I regret it a lot. Never accept any squishing of toes that causes discomfort in any shoe that you wear. Ever. It's either comfortable or don't wear it.

Otherwise you will over time develop various issues including but not limited to corns, calluses, bunions or worse.

Better to have a shoe that's a little too big than a little too small. Respect your feet.

Last edited:

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gatlinburg, looking toward Mt. Leconte

59MYRY.gif

The struggle is real. I still can't decide which fits me better - the 11D Brass Boots or the 11.5D Diesel. The 11D Brass quarters and heel are perfect - here's a pic of the laces as I have them on right now (boots are dusty from being outside). My pinky toes are a bit squished in the boots and the 2nd to last toes are touching the sides of the boot, so am still thinking about having them stretched.

The 11.5D Diesel feels better on the pinky toes, but I have some heel slip and really need to cinch them down in order to feel locked in. I'm considering a kiltie to take up a little volume.

I mention this because I'm drooling over 3 different pairs of Grant Stone boots, but really don't know what size to order. Wish I was one of those people who fit perfectly into a size and just clicked "ORDER."

Which brings me to my question: Are the quarters on an 11E Diesel going to be more loose than an 11.5D?

View attachment 1823711

Looks like you have plenty of room to go bigger as far as lace closure. Kilties can be helpful. Though I prefer not to use them if I don't have to, both for comfort reasons and aesthetics. 11E might be worth a shot if you don't need extra length.

Dare I follow suit yet again.
20220819_095638.jpg

Hiking pants are now my go-to during the day-to-day, even if they don't look quite right. They're comfy and have the extra pocket for my wallet.

On a sizing note, I am finding I prefer the snug 10D and the roomy 10E to these just 'sloppy' 10.5D's. You can see my lace closure is optimal, but I'm wearing a full length insert today and full cushion socks. This might stay the norm. Jury's still out, but maybe I should have gone with my gut and ordered my standard size 1/2 down. Again, I think it has a lot to do with the "long" feeling of this wedge sole and maybe the stretchy nature of CXL (I found the waxy commander to shrink a bit after getting wet). Open to a trade on these before they get too worn.

whipcord

Reaction score
On a sizing note, I am finding I prefer the snug 10D and the roomy 10E to these just 'sloppy' 10.5D's

What differences do you notice between the heel fit and quarters on the 10E and the 10.5D?

whipcord

Reaction score

Personally, I am going to try the midweight full cushion Hiker and heavyweight full cushion Tactical socks from Darn Tough and see how they compare to my midweight cushion Hikers. If I like any of those styles enough I will unfortunately need to spend a few hundred to have enough pairs for the daily rotation. If I don't like either of them I will just deal with the current aesthetic as the boots do fit perfectly fine.

Darn Tough full cushion midweight hikers are one of my main socks I wear. If you want to take up volume, try some Smartwool full cushion Mountaineer socks. They will take up more than 1/2 size. I can't even wear them with my Grant Stone boots.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What differences do you notice between the heel fit and quarters on the 10E and the 10.5D?
I think the heel and quarters are slightly larger on the 10E. Even so, they feel better to me because the length is ideal and my foot is locked in place. (I measure 10.5D heel-to-toe on the Brannock, my arch length is 11).

whipcord

Reaction score
I think the heel and quarters are slightly larger on the 10E. Even so, they feel better to me because the length is ideal and my foot is locked in place.

Hmmm. My foot normally feels "locked in" by the heel and the quarters, not in the toe area. That's where I need some room for spread. I recently had my feet measured by a woman at the shoe store. She said I have, and I quote, "Fred Flintstone feet." LMFAO.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. My foot normally feels "locked in" by the heel and the quarters, not in the toe area. That's where I need some room for spread. I recently had my feet measured by a woman at the shoe store. She said I have, and I quote, "Fred Flintstone feet." LMFAO.
I get almost full closure of the quarters, but experience no slippage in the 10E with DT socks. The instep is locked into place, and the molded leather foot-bed does wonders to hold the foot in place. The quarters close perfectly snug around the ankle. 10E is a good size if I'm on my feel all day to combat heat and swelling of the feet. 10D more-so doing office work.

klawso9

Reaction score
Wyatt posted a Grant Stone wingtip boot sample. Looking good. excited to find out what the leather options will be. This is british tan calf.

View attachment 1823999

I have one pair of traveler loafers in bourbon suede and i'm anxiously awaiting my maduro travelers' arrival... I think I maybe adding these to my collection if/when they drop depending on the colorways. They look great.

Moostyle

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a question regarding the widths that I am hoping people can help with;

1) How much shorter in length would a 10.5E be than an 11D?

2) Does a 10.5E generally have the same width for feet/heel as an 11D?

3) Would a 10EEE provide the same width as an 11D while being shorter in length?

Many thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads