• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grand Seiko

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
One could make the case that Grand Seikos are the ultimate snob watch. They are expensive and not particularly flashy unlike Rolex and perhaps the more refined marques such as Patek, V&C, AP, et al.
It's similar to the Volkswagen Phaeton - extremely well made, expensive, but most people don't know that.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes - at the end of the day people still see you driving around in a VW. A posh VW is still a VW to most people, no matter how you cut it, and given the choice most people would by a Merc for the same price.

Maybe Seiko need to invent a "Lexus" brand of upmarket watches that can compete on the same level as the Swiss - both technically and in terms of luxury perception (as opposed to trying to shake off the realiable utilitarian perception enjoyed by Seiko, much like Toyota (well, until recently anyway)). At the moment, adding "Grand" to the beginning of "Seiko" isn't really fooling anyone.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Yes - at the end of the day people still see you driving around in a VW. A posh VW is still a VW to most people, no matter how you cut it, and given the choice most people would by a Merc for the same price.

Maybe Seiko need to invent a "Lexus" brand of upmarket watches that can compete on the same level as the Swiss - both technically and in terms of luxury perception (as opposed to trying to shake off the realiable utilitarian perception enjoyed by Seiko, much like Toyota (well, until recently anyway)). At the moment, adding "Grand" to the beginning of "Seiko" isn't really fooling anyone.

Bear in mind that, to some, part of the appeal of a GS is to have an objectively superb wristwatch without a brand that screams upmarket/expensive to everyone around.

Of course, you can argue that this is a form of snobbery itself but it's certainly one of the attractions of these watches.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
The more hurtful truth is this: Grand Seikos are interesting watches, but they are not made of pixie dust and the dreams of happy children. They are most certainly not objectively better than many Swiss watches selling for the same price. I don't see Rolex losing any sales to them.
2 questions... Can you name a watch that is made of pixie dust? What is the current going rate per ounce on pixie dust? I may be ready to invest.

jrobjr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Great watch (I'm a GS/spring drive fan as well)

Now you just need to VW Phaeton to go with it.
smile.gif

I had the IDENTICAL thought. What a perfect match for his described aesthetic.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
It's similar to the Volkswagen Phaeton - extremely well made, expensive, but most people don't know that.
I love that car! What Audis used to be, even styling-wise. I just hate the name 'Volkswagen' -- I can't help thinking of the Nazis when I hear 'Volk'.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nearly all WIS-watches are stealthy. Even Pateks.

Generally speaking, if it isn't a Rolex...and maybe a Cartier...no normal human being is going to know much less care which WIS-product weighs down your wrist.

- B

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

Generally speaking, if it isn't a Rolex...and maybe a Cartier...no normal human being is going to know much less care which WIS-product weighs down your wrist.

- B

Or my personal choice, Tag-Heuer.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

- B

.. but they don't entitle you to the answer 'oh, it's just a Seiko' when someone asks.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking, if it isn't a Rolex...and maybe a Cartier...no normal human being is going to know much less care which WIS-product weighs down your wrist. - B
I'd definitely add Patek to that list. And in Italy IWC is surprisingly well known.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

- B

Don't forget TAGS!

zoorado

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
First of all, there is little if any hand finishing in a Grand Seiko watch. That does not detract from the refinement of the finish, but it is a completely different look from what you see in highly decorated Swiss movements. The edges of the plates are razor sharp and the embellishments are exceedingly uniform. That has an appeal, but it's not comparable to traditional top-notch Swiss finishing.
Bridge decoration != bridge finishing. That their edges and those of the rotor, wheels, rachet are unequivocally razor-sharp is a sign of impeccable finish. There is no fancy decoration, and they prefer uniformly smooth surfaces to even the simplest cotes-de-geneve. I think it cuts down on man-hours, but brings the level of finish to that of the best Swiss makers. The edge-chafing is definitely done by hand.
Fourth, Credor is beneath Grand Seiko in Seiko's hierarchy. Grand Seiko is Seiko's top line.
There are higher and lower-tier Credors. I believe the limited editions and the masterpieces are made to a standard above the GS. They are also a fair bit more expensive.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
Bear in mind that, to some, part of the appeal of a GS is to have an objectively superb wristwatch without a brand that screams upmarket/expensive to everyone around. Of course, you can argue that this is a form of snobbery itself but it's certainly one of the attractions of these watches.
This is why if I were going to spend a lot of money on a watch, a Grand Seiko would be at the top of my list. I like them a lot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads