• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gran Sasso Cashmere Sweaters - making them a little bit longer

cikidano

Reaction score
Hello,
I bought some 100% cashmere sweaters from the Gran Sasso vintage line in V neck, very cheap from best secret last year. But in my opinion they are a little bit too short. When I move my arms up and so on, the sweaters slide above my belt. I know, that when it would be a wool sweater, than I could try to stretch it a little bit longer by washing it with dishwashing detergent and/or vinegar. Is this also possible with 100% cashmere? I need only 1 or 2 cm...

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe the trouser rise is too short.
sounds risky to stretch a cashmere sweater for only a cm or two of length

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can’t see how attempting something like that would end well.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can try blocking the sweater. If you go to Youtube, you can find tutorials by searching for the term "blocking sweaters." However, I would sooner find higher rise trousers than block a sweater and stretch out the length. The first will be a longer-lasting solution and less risky. Try Rota, Dapper Classics, H. Stockton, O'Connell's, J. Press, The Armoury, No Man Walks Alone, and Spier & Mackay for higher rise trousers.

cikidano

Reaction score
I did not... i actually wear naked and famous... But it is also not the best option to buy a extra jeans to wear the sweaters only with the new jeans lol :D @dieworkwear

segg7

Reaction score
Hello,
I bought some 100% cashmere sweaters from the Gran Sasso vintage line in V neck, very cheap from best secret last year. But in my opinion they are a little bit too short. When I move my arms up and so on, the sweaters slide above my belt. I know, that when it would be a wool sweater, than I could try to stretch it a little bit longer by washing it with dishwashing detergent and/or vinegar. Is this also possible with 100% cashmere? I need only 1 or 2 cm...

Hello,

I’m trying to browse for Gran Sasso sweaters on Best Secret but it is telling me that I need a login. Do you know how I can obtain a login to access this website? Thank you kindly in advance.

-Shawn

NVPG

Reaction score
It can definitely be done without harming the garment but only to a certain extent. I’ve done it for sleeve length as well as making the bottom ribbing of a sweater more loose. It’s essentially a version of “blocking” a sweater. I just soak the sweater in cold water and press it down in a towell to get out some of the water out. Then I lay it flat on a dry towell and stretch it a bit in the direction that I want it. I usually use light dumbbells or anything i can find to hold the shape in place. After it is dry it should hold that shape. If you don’t like it you can always put it back in water and it should tighten back up . A couple key things to note…It generally works better on higher quality knits or anything that uses a good amount of yarn. If it’s a really light loose knit I wouldn’t do it. Another thing to note is you are mainly just changing the shape, so if you make it longer, it might end up being less wide. I’d experiment with baby steps first just to see how the sweater acts…but I can confirm, I’ve modified a lot of sweaters this way without compromising them at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads